(Another) FJ60 Wiper Assembly Problem/Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've been happily working on my interior gray to brown swap and general quality of life upgrade on our '84 60.

The wipers have been terrible since we got the truck and I decided to have a look.

The motor is good, the plastic bushings are ok the bearings in the cowl mounted pivots are bad and have a lot of play.
Before I can do a 4Runner Arm upgrade I need these to be solid.

I ordered an ebay Malaysia made setup to get us through until I figure out how to rebuild this one OR puny up the $425 on Ebay for a new assembly. It doesn't rain much here so should be fine.

Trouble is the plastic bushing that connects to the motor on the new part does fit (I think)

I haven't tried real real hard to push the new plastic cap onto the ball but I think the flat upper part will interfere?

PS - I can't find the post where someone rebuilt there wiper assembly with spherical bearings and aircraft sized sealed units in the pivots. Anyone have that link?

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

does anyone have any experience with this issue?

I think I'm going to cut the dome off the new part today. that should let it snap on at least. if i don't cut too much it should stay on

Well if anyone else runs into this here is what i did -

I filed the dome portion of the new style bushing cap until it was open just slightly larger than the flat top of my motor arm pivot ball. I also put a chamfer on the top part of the hole to let the arm tilt freely in case of deflections when operating.

I added a bit of bicycle (skinny road bike size) inner tube to keep the grease in place
Seems to work just fine and should get me through this winter

I still haven’t found any image reference for my particular motor arm setup and could probably avoid this by finding another arm with just a ball mount.

ALSO found the wiper/heim joint/sperical bearing rebuild thread so ill be working on this next with the stock linkage.

IMG_5458.jpeg

IMG_5464.jpeg

You can order rebuilt wiper linkage from Manafre. I replaced mine 6 months ago.

I saw this but the description is lacking info about the rebuild process. Do they do anything for the pivot bearing/bushings?
And the pictures are of (I hope) a non rebuilt unit. I'm going to take a swing at making something that won't rely on plastic bushings before I go that route.

I saw this but the description is lacking info about the rebuild process. Do they do anything for the pivot bearing/bushings?
And the pictures are of (I hope) a non rebuilt unit. I'm going to take a swing at making something that won't rely on plastic bushings before I go that route.
It was well put together and had the proper lubrication at the important areas. It’s stuck inside the cowl, don’t think it needs to look pretty, just functional. The OEM lasted 37 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom