Noob, building old gx460, suspension ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Hi everyone,

About me:
We got our 2011 gx460 from an auction and I have been upgrading. I was looking for a 4runner but this was actually cheaper and I read all the good things about them when researching Toyotas. It doesn't have crawl control so I ordered the module and buttons a few days ago. I just added some LED spots this morning, we are rural and the light is always good on the property out here. We can't wait to get off-road. Oh, it's the non airbag basic gx

Anyway to my question:
This is where your expertise helps a lot!!!! I have been searching sites all day to research who makes kits, I saw the sticky with parts also. It looks like the 4 runner has the same suspension. I'm looking at lifts and just want to verify before I buy. The suspension looks just like all the 4 runner videos. Websites sometimes include the gx.

Update: Below some mentioned there is no need and just get a GX kit. What if I want adjustable upper control arm vs non-adjustable. I can buy a stage 1 and get SPC arm but Rock Auto didn't have them for the GX. If I just went by that I would be SOL, but after scouring websites I came across toytec. If I can't find info then I'm stuck hoping a 4 runner arm will work the same, unless you guys know. So if the geometry is apples to apples and the same then I can plan for my bumper and rear cargo weights to get a legit setup vs a stock weight kit for the gx from some sites, this means springs and struts purchased separately in some cases - Depending on the company they don't offer heavier weight kits, the list goes on.

Will the 4 runner front axel fit the GX460? I think I'll get one for off road trips eventually but if a friend has one then we are good to go.

Last edited:
Don't need to buy 4runner suspension. The GX460 is heavier for one and there are PLENTY of options for the GX. Just scroll down and look at the build threads. That should give you an idea of what you can get.

Reactions: r2m
Don't need to buy 4runner suspension. The GX460 is heavier for one and there are PLENTY of options for the GX. Just scroll down and look at the build threads. That should give you an idea of what you can get.

I think I may build mine separately, not sure on springs, that's why I'm asking. That way I can get weight rated for my plans vs random kits that don't give you bumper weight additions etc.

Some companies say 4 runner/Prado

Some don't include Prado or GX

If it's apples to apples fitment then I can plan for my future bumper weights and go from there. Found the edit button, sorry about the double post

For example - if I want an adjustable upper arm to fit a lift kit. (Which I added a an example to the OP so others understand why I'm asking)

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the Grand Adventure! Your paycheck will no longer be yours!!!
Seriously, I'd go with what Mena661 suggested, look at the various builds, find one that parallels what your goals are. There is a very wide range of builds to choose from.
Feel free to tag that person to ask questions as to why he/she may have used "brand X" verses "Brand Y".
Sometimes it just boils down to price or proximity to the vendor, or??
But in the end enjoy your vehicle before, during and after all the mods! You have chosen a great building platform.
If you want to see a little more extreme, you can peek at my build here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

First off, welcome to the Grand Adventure! Your paycheck will no longer be yours!!!
Seriously, I'd go with what Mena661 suggested, look at the various builds, find one that parallels what your goals are. There is a very wide range of builds to choose from.
Feel free to tag that person to ask questions as to why he/she may have used "brand X" verses "Brand Y".
Sometimes it just boils down to price or proximity to the vendor, or??
But in the end enjoy your vehicle before, during and after all the mods! You have chosen a great building platform.
If you want to see a little more extreme, you can peek at my build here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

Cool thread, yeah I posted on your build about the green works chainsaws today. They are amazing for clearing trails.

Anyway, how high up is the electrical wires that would be needed to drive. Seems like the dash wiring would be the lowest perhaps or spark plugs. How much higher does a snorkle get you above the water level when traversing or is it just cosmetic? I know it's a Prado so maybe they set it up to be like land cruiser and really go under water to your knees. Old Jeep's had a sealed system and could drive completely under water to the top of the snorkle height. Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom