Non-US market FJ into CA via out of state? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! Budding FJ40 enthusiast here, looking to buy my first - as I live in California, I've settled on a pre-smog FJ, ideally a 1975 given the obvious. I'm trying to understand if non-US market, petrol FJs can be easily registered in CA if they are coming with a clean title from another state? I see plenty of South American imports registered in other states for sale, so am hoping they can be part of my search.

I don't want to deal with any headaches or requiring luck at the DMV, so looking for a clean, legal way of acquiring one. I've searched but didn't find this exact answer. Any help much appreciated!

I would think the harder part would be finding a good clean South American import.

I have no idea on the registration stuff in CA

If the vehicle is already registered in another state it is no longer an imported vehicle. The only thing you need to be concerned with is whether or not it will meet any smog requirements of the state of California for the vehicle year.

Yep, if it's been registered in another state you're good to go.
Like you said just make sure it's a 1975 or older for no smog

Not sure why you'd want an import

Forget the imports, be patient and find a pre 76 smog free California native, yes not easy anymore, but they do pop up every so often.

Thanks all, appreciate the info! Time to start keeping an eye out. Seems like a really strong community here on the forums and am excited to learn from everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom