PPI questions, US Spec OEM vs Non OEM / SA spec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jlm43

SILVER Star
Threads
First off, I’ve tried searching with no success.

I’ve been lurking in the 40 section for quite some time trying to learn what I can while I shop for the 40 that checks most of the boxes. I’ve learned quite a bit but there’s a couple things that still leave me stumped.

1) Rear fender lights. The little round ones facing aft. What years were those standard? I’ve seen some with and some without. I’m assuming some were just never replaced after rust repair.

IMG_0528.jpeg

2) Interior windshield heat deflector. Color matched from the factory or black to match the upper dash pad? I haven’t been able to notice any patterns either way. Even the SA spec 40’s with no dash pad have been seen both ways.

IMG_0525.jpeg
IMG_0526.jpeg
IMG_0504.jpeg

My '77 South African spec vents are coloured pewter to match the instrument cluster, glove box, etc. There was no hideous dash pad in any other country as far as I know.

I have no idea on the rear side lights. They duplicate the original function though, so my guess is that they're also country specific to meet a specific positioning requirement??

Last edited:
the rear "lights" are not lights, they are reflectors, not certain but thinking started in 1975??
easy to not replace when doing body work, either steel or bondo, also reflector should have a chrome ring around the lense

the windshield defrost vent, going from memory, would have been body color thru 1974, steel with wipers above
1975+ would have been black plastic with the wipers on the lower frame

the blue ones above have been painted, not originally done from the factory

I think the reflectors started when they went to rectangular tail lights. Earlier ones had a silver ring around the bezel and were larger. The ones the op posted are a later version. Idk, when they went to those smaller ones. You might check out Cruiser Outfitters to nail down the dates they changed.

Believe the 9/73 and later reflectors were all the same size. 1/79 the chrome ring was gone. Earlier ones the housing was rubber. Later one it was a hard plastic. Pulled the left one from a wrecked HJ47. Right side plastic was distorted from the heat from the tail pipe.

the windshield defrost vent, going from memory, would have been body color thru 1974, steel with wipers above
1975+ would have been black plastic with the wipers on the lower frame

the blue ones above have been painted, not originally done from the factory
Thanks!! This explains why I've seen it both ways.

Thanks for all of the replies, it's appreciated. I'm now just a bit smarter when it comes to inspecting the pictures in sale ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom