No turn signals, but hazards working? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know where to start diagnosing this problem? I am not sure if it is the switch in the column or what? Please advise asap. Thanks, rob

ps: The rig is finally running and the swap went great. Now i just have to make it street legal ; (

What year?

The only time I've had trouble with my flashers I was able to get them working by pulling the hazards on and off. It seemed to be caused by poor connections in the hazard switch. If that helps clean up or replace the hazard switch.

It could also be fuse/power related. The flashers are on a switched ignition circuit and the hazards get continuous power from the battery.

Anyone know where to start diagnosing this problem? I am not sure if it is the switch in the column or what? Please advise asap. Thanks, rob

ps: The rig is finally running and the swap went great. Now i just have to make it street legal ; (

You dont have anything hanging on that switch?
In my case it was a plastik lizard that i did hang on that switch but......if its not pushed fully back in the indicators dont work.
I disasembled everything around the steering column just to find out that my lizard was the problem.:mad:

x2 on the switch, maybe corroded inside?

Try looking for corrosion on the flasher assy's, or replace the turn signal flasher.

OH, Now I remember, I had this same problem. My turn signal flasher assy (the little round relay) was not grounded good in the bracket. Check that.

The hazards use the Brake fuse (go figure) while the turn signals use the Turn/Wiper fuse. So that's the best place to start. Do the wipers work? Clean up that fuse anyway.
Then, the Turn Signal power runs through the Flasher switch. As others have suggested, try operating that switch a few times, if that doesn't work, take it out and clean it up.
Then try the Turn Signal switch.

i had a similar issue, i replaced all my fuses (just b/c they were all old and could use it anyway) while they were out i hit the box w/contact cleaner, fixed the problem. good luck

Thanks, ill try it

Thanks to all, it is a 1974 fj40. Yes, the wipers work too. I bought a new flasher for the turn signals, but when i got it home, the only one i could find under the dash was about 1 1/2" x 2" and square. It indicated that it was for the turn sgnals and hazards on the body of the box. It is mounted way under the dash and separate with two mountung bolts. Please advise further. In other words, it is not the standard round as the book shows. Rob

Check all the grounds - with a good look/test at the grounds on the lights at the fender mounts.

Thanks to all, it is a 1974 fj40. Yes, the wipers work too. I bought a new flasher for the turn signals, but when i got it home, the only one i could find under the dash was about 1 1/2" x 2" and square. It indicated that it was for the turn sgnals and hazards on the body of the box. It is mounted way under the dash and separate with two mountung bolts. Please advise further. In other words, it is not the standard round as the book shows. Rob

While checking grounds is usually a good place to start, If the hazard flashers work then the ground at the lights is ok. You need to focus on what would cause the flasher to work, but the turns not work.

Half way there?

Alright, i have done something? I tried actuating the hazard switch several times and blew out the t/s switch with the column shroud off. Now i have turn signals, but they don't flash, they just come on and stay on (no clicking noise either?) please advise from this point. Thanks, rob

ps: I still can't find the "round" style flasher box like ya'll have described. All i can find is the square on high above the clutch.

1974 fj40 lc, pre 84 350 w/ hei and rv cam, 4 speed tm

If the turn signals light up but don't flash, it is usually an indication of too low current to heat up the bimetal spring in the flasher because of:
1. burned out bulb.
2. bad connection between the fuse block and the ground.

If they don't flash on either side, the bad connection is more likely to be upstream (toward the + post of the battery) from the turn signal switch.

The square flasher unit is the only one. My 74 likely still has one bolted there. A PO replaced it with a round one. As stated above look for ones that don't light up. Also see if you can unplug the connector from the square one and plug the round one in its places. I don't know if it will just plug in because my plug was also butchered by a PO.a

I gope Im not assuming this but I knowe that you should have 1157;s I think in the front signal lights and tail? The hazzrd work by light ALL the filiments but the lights themselve are like fusable links...IF a filment is out on the dbl filiment..the lights will not blink...dash light for that will stay on but not flash...

I have a 72 and noticed that my Hazzards worked but my blinker lights didnt..I found that one blinker bulb was bad and changed it and then everything worked.

same plus new problem

Ok, i found the front drivers side had one burnt element. So, i replaced it and now have 4 working lights, still no turn signal pulse though. And now, my headlights won't come on. They have always worked and i touched no wiring. Please advise.

Ps: Yes, i know enough about wiring to be dangerous, especially when it comes to trouble shooting and schematics.

What do you mean by "no pulse"? Do the hazards pulse but the turn signals don't?

Do the high beams work? What about the high beam indicator on the dash? Does that come on?
I assume that you have checked the headlight fuse?

I had a similar issue not too long ago -- the hazards worked but the rear blinkers did not. The driver's side had a bit of paint on one of the light sockets. The passenger side had a ground that was not connected. After the paint was cleaned off, one side began working; after the ground was connected, the other side began working.

The headlights on my FJ also stopped working temporarily. It turned out that I moved the fuse while trying to diagnose another problem. Once I placed the fuse securely in the clips, the lights came back on.

If the high beam indicator doesn't light, that's a pretty good sign that it's around the fuse. If that indicator lights up, I'd look around the light bulbs and ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom