‘75 Fj 40 Turn signals stopped working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Ih8mudders,

I’ve be resourcing the forum for years, but this is my first post. please bear with me if I’m posting in the wrong place.

my ‘stock 75 fj40s turn signals were behaving a little strangely then abruptly stopped working. No clicking sound, just dead in the water. Im a bit perplexed because the hazard lights work fine. I have read all the posts, and am going to start testing/replacing the flasher relay and hazard switches, but I was hoping maybe you guys could help me determine where to start due to the unique set of circumstances,

I’m assuming the grounds are All good as the hazard lights work, and as they blink normally I would also assume the flasher relay is operational.

that leaves the hazard switch, which looks like a nightmare to extract, and seems to work at least with the hazard funotion.

I do have a email into toyotamatt, but I hear he’s super busy and have not heard back. If anyone is willing to share his phone number that would be great.

thanks in advance for any advise or personal experience,

image.jpg

I'm not sure but I think there a two flasher cans; one for the regular turn signal and one for the hazard. If your hazard works then I suspect that the switch and can are working, so I'd looking at the turn signal switch and its can. Way back in the 80's my turn signal switch went bad - I took it apart and rebuilt it. The correct wiring diagram will be helpful.

Thanks for the speedy replies, problem solved! I had started with inspecting the fuse, but thanks to 45dougal sound advise I took apart the fuse block, sanded everything and put dielectric grease, and like magic they are now working. So glad I didn't have to dig into the hazard switch, I hear they can crumble during the extraction process. Really appreciate you guys…btw Charlie, the older fj40s had two relays, but mid 70’s they switched to one for both the functions.

It is likely your switch assembly in the column went bad. You can take it apart and refurbish then re-try, or even just aggressively actuate the turn signal arm a bunch of times to see if it will make the connection. They sell on ebay or for more at cruiser places. google turn signal combination switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom