Turn Signals Not Working - Hazards OK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - Was checking my signals before my state inspection next week. Turn signals were working just fine on several occasions. I then tested the harzards - they worked fine. However, when I tried the turn signals following that, no dice. No noise, no turn signals on either side, no lighted green arrows on instrument cluster. Hazards still work fine (both on the instrument cluster and the bulbs work fine). Would appreciate any thoughts on diagnosing, I appreciate it!

Could be the ground on the turn signal flasher?? Hazards have their own flasher, so thats why they still work.

My turn signal went bad, many years ago, early 90's IIRC. It tried to lock the steering in a curve, "strong arm" broke the mechanism for the self canceling part; however it never tried to kill me again. Years later turn signals got erratic - I took the switch apart; cleaned the contacts and epoxy filled in where the plastic was burned away by the contact arc. Worked great after that.

+1 for clean grounds and all electrical connections for that matter.

1- Check your turn signal fuse. (Hazards run off the stop fuse)
Test for 12v on both sides - looks can be deceiving.
2- check the hazard switch connector for corrosion.
3- check for 12v at both green-red wires at the hazard connector (one for each feed).

I should add another obvious one really...

0 - Actuate the hazard switch a few times and make sure it is fully home - the turn signal feed is also switched by it.

Last edited:
Awesome! I appreciate the suggestions. The fuses are all good and the truck was running when I tested the signals and hazards. I’ll be doing some electrical testing today….

Hopefully you got it fixed, I had the exact same problem on my 75 fj40, my issue was corrosion at the fuse box. Since your hazards work it’s probably not a grounding issue, and the hazards also use the flasher relay. Since the last thing you did was pull the hazard switch, that would be a place to start looking. Ideally take it out and clean the connectors and possibly replace.

When your hazards are off with the engine on, there should be current at your fuse box at the blinker fuse. The hazard and turn signals on different fuses, my blinker fuse was three up from the bottom. be sure there is 12 volts in both sides of the fuse With the engine on and hazards Off.

as I understand it, the 12 volts passes through the hazards to the fuse box (but only when the hazards are OFF0 then to the turn signal lever, then to the flasher relay (it’s a silver 2X3‘’ box bolted on a support beam to the left of your clutch pedal) then to the lights. So check for voltage down the line. As other people have mentioned, any poor grounding issue in the light fixtures or bad bulbs will cause failure.

I attached a photo of my blinker relay.

good luck!

IMG_2580.jpeg

Hopefully you got it fixed, I had the exact same problem on my 75 fj40, my issue was corrosion at the fuse box. Since your hazards work it’s probably not a grounding issue, and the hazards also use the flasher relay. Since the last thing you did was pull the hazard switch, that would be a place to start looking. Ideally take it out and clean the connectors and possibly replace.

When your hazards are off with the engine on, there should be current at your fuse box at the blinker fuse. The hazard and turn signals on different fuses, my blinker fuse was three up from the bottom. be sure there is 12 volts in both sides of the fuse With the engine on and hazards Off.

as I understand it, the 12 volts passes through the hazards to the fuse box (but only when the hazards are OFF0 then to the turn signal lever, then to the flasher relay (it’s a silver 2X3‘’ box bolted on a support beam to the left of your clutch pedal) then to the lights. So check for voltage down the line. As other people have mentioned, any poor grounding issue in the light fixtures or bad bulbs will cause failure.

good luck!

View attachment 3420344

good luck!

View attachment 3420344

good luck!

View attachment 3420344
Thanks. I was able to get all the lights functioning. While I’m happy about that, not quite sure what I did to get them all working again! Have driven the FJ multiple times since and all was good. Fingers crossed. It won’t happen again.

Thanks. I was able to get all the lights functioning. While I’m happy about that, not quite sure what I did to get them all working again! Have driven the FJ multiple times since and all was good. Fingers crossed. It won’t happen again.
Bad connection somewhere. Probably loose fuse. Make sure to keep some spares in the glove box for next time :)

glad you got them working.

I would bet it is the turn signal assembly in the column. They go bad, cost about $120 to replace IIRC.

I had same problem and checked re-checked everything and eventually called electrical mechanic and he aggressively switched my blinker arm up and down a few times and voila - fixed in 5 minutes (but cost an hour lol). Inner connetions were corroded or going bad. I have run with it for almost a year and the signals work 80% of the time, sometimes have to flip up and down a couple times to work right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom