No more depo headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some Ebay vendors sell the lights with standard H4 and H1 bulbs but also include adapter pigtails. There are no plug-and-play bulbs that work in a US market 80 series Cruiser with Depo headlights AFAIK.

H-1 and H-4 are Halogen type bulbs I am sure you can find LEDs with the same mount but would not trust if they would have the same “focusing point”

So are the H-1 and H-4 bulbs led or halogen?

H4 and H1 are the type of mount, not whether it is LED or halogen. There are H4 and H1 LED bulbs, and there are H4 and H1 halogen bulbs, etc...

Last edited:
H4 and H1 are the type of mount, not whether or not it is LED, halogen. There are H4 and H1 LED bulbs, and there are H4 and H1 halogen bulbs, etc...
I thought GM only made the H1 for the military, the H2 was for civilian use, then the H3 was to market against the Jeep Cherokee.

I didn't know they made an H4........ 😜😜😜

I thought GM only made the H1 for the military, the H2 was for civilian use, then the H3 was to market against the Jeep Cherokee.

I didn't know they made an H4........ 😜😜😜
H4:

jeep.jpg

Do these seem legit?

Looks good to me, they are DEPO's for an 80 series, seller has piles of sales and great feedback, the shipping is high as they are coming from Latvia, but the price is pretty low I think (it's been years since I bought mine, not sure what the going rate is anymore), you decide if the price is right for yourself. Only thing I'd say to double check on is that they are a LHD reflector version, I'm not sure what side of the road Latvia drives on and it would suck to buy the RHD version by accident.

I'm still confused about the ones I ended up with:
Depo part numbers= 212-1133R/L-RD-E I'm worried now that the "RD" means Right drive. They also have the faceted(Fresnel) glass housings, and not the smooth housings that everyone loves for mods. I haven't been constantly flashed at night with them, and the beam pattern seems ok.
I got mine on ebay. 250 for the pair a little over a year ago.

Depo part numbers= 212-1133R/L-RD-E I'm worried now that the "RD" means Right drive. They also have the faceted(Fresnel) glass housings, and not the smooth housings that everyone loves for mods. I haven't been constantly flashed at night with them, and the beam pattern seems ok.

Pull up facing a wall about 25-30' back, and snap a pic of the light output pattern. It should be shaped like a hockey stick, if the upward pattern is on the left, it's shining into oncoming traffic's eyes instead of lighting up road signs as intended.

Yup you scored the " RHD" model lamp.

Is there any reason a after factory set of headlights for a LHD FZJ80 wouldn't work on a RHD HDJ81? I took my headlights apart to paint the trim, and it seems like the washers might connect back to the bottom. The water line route might not exist though.

Is there any reason a after factory set of headlights for a LHD FZJ80 wouldn't work on a RHD HDJ81? I took my headlights apart to paint the trim, and it seems like the washers might connect back to the bottom. The water line route might not exist though.

I'm running DEPO's on my HDJ81 with the factory headlight washers in place, they just mount to the bottom of the headlight.

I purchased Depos from the bay last night. Pigtails and bulbs were included. I figured I better get them now before they are sold out again.

BTW, driving in rain at night with OEM headlights is dangerous. It's bad when you are judging your location on the road based on oncoming traffic.

@IanB Half of the road signs in Seattle are on the wrong damn side of the intersections anyway :bang:
@ranma21 I've done a bunch of google image searches, and it looks like the basic reflector design is the same. I just have to make sure my hi/lo bulbs are not reversed I guess. One of these nights I'll get over to a flat wall and adjust per fsm and see what shakes out. I've driven the cruiser at night once since my last post. Yes, it's neglected.

@IanB Half of the road signs in Seattle are on the wrong damn side of the intersections anyway :bang:
@ranma21 I've done a bunch of google image searches, and it looks like the basic reflector design is the same. I just have to make sure my hi/lo bulbs are not reversed I guess. One of these nights I'll get over to a flat wall and adjust per fsm and see what shakes out. I've driven the cruiser at night once since my last post. Yes, it's neglected.

Reflector design may look the same but clearly RHD and LHD beam pattern are different. DEPO lamp are ECE-compliant to meet LHD and RHD driving pattern.

Yeah, I was boiling it down to as simple a thing as the general shape; as in "bigger" reflector on the outside. I should probably sort this out sooner rather than later. Hopefully there's enough give in the system to let me adjust it properly.

My depo shipment is delayed due to Covid restrictions in Cali. I've already started shopping for LED options designed to work in a reflector housing. LED "bulbs" have been out for years but it's amazing how many bad designs are still being sold with either an awful light pattern that blinds drivers, low light output, or both. Any recommendations specifically for the depos?

GTR Lighting Ultra 2
1599102966886.png

My depo shipment is delayed due to Covid restrictions in Cali. I've already started shopping for LED options designed to work in a reflector housing. LED "bulbs" have been out for years but it's amazing how many bad designs are still being sold with either an awful light pattern that blinds drivers, low light output, or both. Any recommendations specifically for the depos?

GTR Lighting Ultra 2
View attachment 2424680
2nd this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom