No Love for the Split Rim??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That´s yours :)
Drove J7 trucks with split rims in the Australian Outback. After a flat tire (had two of them within 2 days)
they are easy to repair. A new tube in ´that´s all.

You guys down under seem to have a lot of those wheels - they are scarce in the states. Maybe that's why your tire men don't have a fit when you bring one in.

If the tire is not rusted to the wheel to me it's easier to breakdown and reassemble a lock ring wheel than a tubeless.

And patching or replacing a tube on the trail is easy.

the "split rims" I remember way back when, the rim had a slice across it and the lock ring was a solid ring, the rim slid into itself so you could get the solid ring into the indent for the lock ring to sit.

@3_puppies said it best! This is the true "Split Rim"
and the ones I worked you needed to deflate before removing the rim from the car because the wheel studs had wedges that forced the rim out into the solid ring.

This is the last set of true "split rims" I mounted.
_DSC0087.jpg

Good video.

Now I've never taken a 'split rim' apart so I don't really know what I'm talking about...BUT...

In that video and I assume all similar rims, note where the balancing weights are located. Right on the rim that you remove. So it would seem to be important to note where on the tire the weights are located in order to have a well balanced tire/rim once you put it all back together.

Never gave this any thought until looking at the video.

I see guys in big tyre shops who get paid to do this all day. They dont have a cage and they dont have any problems. They use a 6 ft bar with a weight on one end. They pound the wall of the tyre with the weighted end until the bead breaks.
I used my landcruiser to run over the wall of the tyre to break the bead.

I thought the tire was supposed to be in the cage during inflation, not the Commie! ;)

I have dealt with multi piece wheels for 50 years. My first were on a 1929 ford 1 1/2 ton truck. My two passions have been vintage ford big trucks and landcruisers, primarily FJ 45 lpbs and FJ 55s. Toyota's multi piece wheel was a true revelation when I first broke one down in the early '90s. The section of the split lock ring is the only one I know of that is L shaped with one leg encircled by the tire's bead. This goes a very long way in making this a safe wheel. I will be 70 in May and just mounted a pair of 255 85r 16s on these wheels. As stated, the first break-down after years of service and storage can be a bear, but I always clean and paint the wheels and all subsequent tire changes have been routine. Here's my '79 55 in the mid '90s. I even put hubcap clips on them to church things up a bit.

55tow45.jpg

I thought the tire was supposed to be in the cage during inflation, not the Commie! ;)
No requirement in Australia and I cannot recall an incident where it would have helped. I think the Toyota type rim is different to the truck type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom