No gas in float after rebuild...here's why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So put gas in and drain it....this is what you mean by flushing @MoaByte ?
Yes, but you could use cheap gas and a siphon hose as a vacuum. You would have to drop the tank if you wanna get it clean and you are this close. Napa has a hose with a copper marble in it that makes siphoning easy.

Yes, but you could use cheap gas and a siphon hose as a vacuum. You would have to drop the tank if you wanna get it clean and you are this close. Napa has a hose with a copper marble in it that makes siphoning easy.
Yes. You are right by being so close...I went on Napa's website and saw the Shaker Siphon Hose (Part #: BK 7302501) and will get it. I will use a floor jack when lowering the tank. Thanks

I've forgotten most of my chemistry, but iirc, if there were corrosives in the tank, then there will be free metal ions on the metal surface. If you just let all the liquid out and then use the tank without cleaning it, I would think the ions would flow with the fuel and start bonding to anything metallic they find on their way down to the jets. Which would be bad.

There are guides online for how to clean a tank, all I have seen involve dropping the tank, flushing it several times through with water (without letting the water sit to rust the tank), drying it out, then hit it with some magic juice, and then it's good to go.

I was tossed between two products to seal my gas tank, which came down to; POR-15 and Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer. I ordered Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer...@OSS had mentioned them on how he was impressed with a product he had used ( not the gas sealer). I liked the fact that in the kit it had Metal Wash, which they claimed prevents flash rusting for up to 3 weeks. Which will take me probably a couple of days to do this. FINALLY...SUNSHINE in Virginia Beach!!!

I was tossed between two products to seal my gas tank, which came down to; POR-15 and Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer. I ordered Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer...@OSS had mentioned them on how he was impressed with a product he had used ( not the gas sealer). I liked the fact that in the kit it had Metal Wash, which they claimed prevents flash rusting for up to 3 weeks. Which will take me probably a couple of days to do this. FINALLY...SUNSHINE in Virginia Beach!!!
Most tanks are not lined. Gasoline is supposed to prevent rust. I guess they didn't plan on vehicles getting parked without topping of the tank?

Most tanks are not lined. Gasoline is supposed to prevent rust. I guess they didn't plan on vehicles getting parked without topping of the tank?
So you recommend not to use a gas tank sealer? I learn my lesson to keep it top off!

So you recommend not to use a gas tank sealer? I learn my lesson to keep it top off!
I can't say. You could get by without it. I didn't seal the Man-a-fre 38 gal tank I put in last spring. Old tank (35 yrs old) had a thin layer of white mineral covering everything but was rust free except the sending unit. I'm still using that sending unit, it looked like yours.
I would take it to a radiator shop to get it cleaned (it's a PITA) and clean out the vapor separator. Plan on replacing the filler hose, they get rigid.

Well, I (the one man show) took the day off and took advantage of this nice weather in VaH- Beach to lower the Gas Tank. @IamGhost FJ60 Fuel Tank Removal Procedure helped out a lot. However, there are things that can help as well, such as; a Hose Extractor (a great investment), a good penetrent ( I like Knocker Loose & Liquid Wrench)...I soaked all bolts one week prior to today. It seems mine never came down since the last time they replaced for recall since 1995. The tire cross member was a PITA to get down, due to those old bolts and washer/nut on other side. Everything else went pretty well and I didn't see any rust but a lot of green Ethanol Residue. Its amazing what you discover when DIY things regarding the cargo mat was from Specter Off-Road.

I'm waiting for my Eastwood Gas tank sealer to arrive and get it done hopefully within 2 weeks since it has been a very wet February. I will replace all the hoses as well. I will keep you posted when it is all PURDY, painted and NEW gas all in. The CARB is just waiting.

REAL DIRTY!!!!
20210208_142353.jpg

20210208_154841.jpg

Who knew this came from Specter Off-Road
20210208_143110.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I (the one man show) took the day off and took advantage of this nice weather in VaH- Beach to lower the Gas Tank. @IamGhost FJ60 Fuel Tank Removal Procedure helped out a lot. However, there are things that can help as well, such as; a Hose Extractor (a great investment), a good penetrent ( I like Knocker Loose & Liquid Wrench)...I soaked all bolts one week prior to today. It seems mine never came down since the last time they replaced for recall since 1995. The tire cross member was a PITA to get down, due to those old bolts and washer/nut on other side....it's not going back up, because A) I run 31x10.5 and I choose not to have a spare underneath B) It will shed about 25 lbs. Everything else went pretty well and I didn't see any rust but a lot of green Ethanol Residue. Its amazing what you discover when DIY things regarding the cargo mat was from Specter Off-Road.

I'm waiting for my Eastwood Gas tank sealer to arrive and get it done hopefully within 2 weeks since it has been a very wet February. I will replace all the hoses as well. I will keep you posted when it is all PURDY, painted and NEW gas all in. The CARB is just waiting.

REAL DIRTY!!!!
View attachment 2579747

View attachment 2579755

Who knew this came from Specter Off-Road
View attachment 2579760

I just watched a hot rod show where they dropped the tank on a build. They rinsed the tank with a flush product that removes all the gas residue and dangerous ass fumes/vapor so they could work on the tank safely. No idea what it was called, I’ll see if I can find it.

Careful working with that “empty” tank, it’s the vapor that is volatile, not the liquid.

I just watched a hot rod show where they dropped the tank on a build. They rinsed the tank with a flush product that removes all the gas residue and dangerous ass fumes/vapor so they could work on the tank safely. No idea what it was called, I’ll see if I can find it.

Careful working with that “empty” tank, it’s the vapor that is volatile, not the liquid.
Thanks for the vapor advance. Eastwood has a kit and step by step procedure. Soap and water is the 1st old school method from what Ive seen on YouTube. Also it will be done in a well ventilated area.

Well... I installed the Gas Tank with Eastwood Sealer Kit and ALL new hoses BTW, it cured for 96 hours as the instructiins stated 48 above 60°F. With a few attempts it fired up. I did notice the gas was much cleaner when looking in the carb bowl. Fuel line is in the middle od sight window perfectly. Only time will tell...it didnt hurt getting that nasty crap from my gas tank and I learned a lot. At least I know carb was rebuilt twice, fuel pump works and I can take off my carb off in 15 minutes. I will keep you posted

Last edited:
This thread shows the kind of mental assertiveness one needs to work through problems on these older vehicles. Most owners of these trucks can't afford to have someone do all the work you just did to get through this. And many don't have the skill, knowledge, ability, patience and persistent effort to get it done themselves.

Great job. Way to work through it.

Well... I installed the Gas Tank with Eastwood Sealer Kit. BTW, it cured for 96 hours as the instructiins stated 48 above 60°F. With a few attempts it fired up. I did notice the gas was much cleaner when looking in the carb bowl. Fuel line is in the middle od sight window perfectly. Only time will tell...it didnt hurt getting that nasty crap from my gas tank and I learned a lot. At least I know carb was rebuilt twice, fuel pump works and I can take off my carb off in 15 minutes. I will keep you posted

This thread shows the kind of mental assertiveness one needs to work through problems on these older vehicles. Most owners of these trucks can't afford to have someone do all the work you just did to get through this. And many don't have the skill, knowledge, ability, patience and persistent effort to get it done themselves.

Great job. Way to work through it.
Btw Osiris FIRED UP this morning and was running like a sewing machine. Thanks @g-man! Between you and the other guys, it was the knowledge of you all that helped me tremendously. Most things I havent ever done before is scary when working on this truck..but that is what drives my inner wolf to look fear/task in the face and say..."lets dance" . After its done, most of the time Fear was not as big as what was projected in my own mind. This forum is needed for DIYers and good hardworking folks that are on it. Now on to the PS conversion and front ball joints.

Last edited:
Btw Osiris FIRED UP this morning and was running like a sewing machine. Thanks @g-man! Between you and the other guys, it was the knowledge of you all that helped me tremendously. Most things I havent ever done before is scary when working on this truck..but that is what drives my inner wolf to look fear/task in the face and say..."lets dance" . After its done, most of the time Fear was not as big as what was projected in my own mind. This forum is needed for DIYers and good hardworking folks that are on it. Now on to the PS conversion and front ball joints.
I bought my truck because it was easy to LEARN how to do the work. You can read and read and read all day but that doesn’t mean you know anything. If you read and read and read and then DO it you have earned what they call “knowledge” and “skill” and hopefully a decent “workshop” lol

I bought my truck because it was easy to LEARN how to do the work. You can read and read and read all day but that doesn’t mean you know anything. If you read and read and read and then DO it you have earned what they call “knowledge” and “skill” and hopefully a decent “workshop” lol
Yes...you are so right @cps432...lol. I do have a decent workshop and especially tools because of Osiris and my other cars. I heard once , "the person that has the tools, rules the world". My next tool will be a welding machine soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom