No gas in float after rebuild...here's why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don't have to drop it. There is a hatch in the cargo area. Put the float/sending unit and have a peak. Careful. Remember that it's the fumes that are explosive.

You don't have to drop it. There is a hatch in the cargo area. Put the float/sending unit and have a peak. Careful. Remember that it's the fumes that are explosive.
Should i drain the plug anyway since it seems like its the Ethanol making my carb gum up with that green sludge. I have been using 87 octane. There is no Ethanol Free gas around here.

Should i drain the plug anyway since it seems like its the Ethanol making my carb gum up with that green sludge. I have been using 87 octane. There is no Ethanol Free gas around here.
Yes. But empty tanks are even more dangerous. Fumes man. Fresh gas is important. I don't run ethanol free in anything other than motorcycles and small engines.

Not sure about all the boat marinas whether you can access the pumps, but I know of one......Might be more for a fun get out and cruise trip, but in Knotts Island there is a corner gas station right when you get on the Island with ethanol free. I swear 2 times I have used it I feel like my Cruiser likes it better. runs different! But it could just be that extra price you pay?

This has got me thinking about all the gas powered stuff I have that has not been run in a while. I don't want to be fighting the green goo! My 63 Galaxie sitting in the garage collecting dust. I don't think it's been run since last spring. I'd hate to have to go thru a newish Holley carb on that. The troybilt horse hasn't run in over a year, the jon boat...at least that has a 6 gal poly portable tank; easy enough to empty. And an old push mower that is my back up. Gonna have to figure out what to do with a bunch of old fuel.

I think it is the sitting part that does it. I run standard ethanol in my riding lawnmower no problem. But all the hand held 2 stroke stuff, chain saw, weedeater, etc I only put in that Truefuel premixed no ethanol stuff you buy at the hardware store. I had one of my Stihls get a glossed up unrepairable carb from ethanol. Had to replace the carb on it.....Last time that happens.

The only place around here with E85 is on base, that I know of.

I think it is the sitting part that does it. I run standard ethanol in my riding lawnmower no problem. But all the hand held 2 stroke stuff, chain saw, weedeater, etc I only put in that Truefuel premixed no ethanol stuff you buy at the hardware store. I had one of my Stihls get a glossed up unrepairable carb from ethanol. Had to replace the carb on it.....Last time that happens.

The only place around here with E85 is on base, that I know of.
I've learn a VALUABLE lesson, you can't let them sit. It was running find until I made this mistake....NEVER again. I just hope that tank isn't bad. If it isn't, I will call around asking if there are any radiator places in Va Beach that will treat and clean it out.

I've learn a VALUABLE lesson, you can't let them sit. It was running find until I made this mistake....NEVER again. I just hope that tank isn't bad. If it isn't, I will call around asking if there are any radiator places in Va Beach that will treat and clean it out.
Ok so Im in the process of dropping tank..so Im put some Knocker Loose on all the bbn olts so it can be easier. Here are some pics of the sender and inside of tank...your thoughts. I havent drained it yet but wanted to take pics at this point. I'm ready to drain the tank then I will take pics inside of tank afterwards for you guys to make a determination if it needs to be treated and cleaned? Btw...it seems the last pic is the original spare...lol
20210203_124326.jpg

20210203_124336.jpg

20210203_124351.jpg

20210203_125211.jpg

I pulled my sender a few years back, because my fuel gauge wasn't working. After I replaced it, my gauge STILL wasn't working. Ended up being a bad wire connection (blue plug IIRC) in the driver's side quarter panel below the jack storage. But my gauge was about 25 years old and the outside was rusted but everything inside the tank looked really clean...like new clean.

I pulled my sender a few years back, because my fuel gauge wasn't working. After I replaced it, my gauge STILL wasn't working. Ended up being a bad wire connection (blue plug IIRC) in the driver's side quarter panel below the jack storage. But my gauge was about 25 years old and the outside was rusted but everything inside the tank looked really clean...like new clean.

The bottom of the tank doesn't look bad though. But that gas is seriously corrosive. I'd at least drain it all out and replace with some better fuel.
Well, that's good news regarding your opinion regarding how the bottom of tank looks. I will drain it replace all fuel lines and put some 93 Octane in it. So, should I blow air in the line back towards the tank before draining it or is this step not needed? Is there a way of cleaning the Fuel Sender or do I need to replace it?

Last edited:
Well, that's good news regarding your opinion regarding how the bottom of tank looks. I will drain it replace all fuel lines and put some 93 Octane in it. So, should I blow air in the line back towards the tank before draining it or is this step not needed?
Good idea. If crap blows back to the tank at least it's not in your new clean fuel.

Well, that's good news regarding your opinion regarding how the bottom of tank looks. I will drain it replace all fuel lines and put some 93 Octane in it. So, should I blow air in the line back towards the tank before draining it or is this step not needed? Is there a way of cleaning the Fuel Sender or do I need to replace it?
You asked a while ago about blowing the line

I would say if you blow with the line still on the tank, no more than 20-30 psi and take the filler cap off

I blew out the line and drained the tank. It looked rust free. It had some residue. The gas definitely had contaminated of ethanol (see pic)...just green and whitle sludge that was pointed out as how Ethanol can react to gas by letting it sit. I speculate this was the crap that was getting to my carb and the filter couldnt filter out the contamination when getting to carb making it green abd reacting to the brass circuits. Word to the wise....DO NOT let your cruiser sit if you have a carb and using Ethanol. Im getting fresh 93 Octane fuel. I feel i dont need to drop the tank.
20210203_161700.jpg

20210203_161130.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom