No 5th gear oiler cup present in H55F transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
Hi

I just got my split case transfer off the back of my H55F.

Vehicle (1989 BJ60) originally ran an H41, which the PO has upgraded to an H55F at some stage. As far as I can tell, the front half of the transfer case is the original mechanical shift type for the four speed. It has the redundant hole below the transmission output shaft, which has not been plugged and, while there is a provision for an oiler cup, there was no cup.

What possible damage should I look for as a result of the oiler cup being missing? The vehicle has lived its life being very well looked after, has never been off roaded and to me the 5th gear components look fine. Counter 5th gear thrust clearance is like new (0.20 mm).

Any information on what specifically to look for is much appreciated.

And yes, I have ordered an oiler cup and blanking plug to do the job properly this time!

Thanks

EO

Last edited:
I've got good news for you — the 5th gear oiler cup is not needed. I ran my 5 speed 250,000 miles without one and 5th gear always ran fine and was never noisy.
The little plastic cup was designed as a precaution for possible low oil flow to 5th gear. As it turns out (after driving without one for 27 years — it isn't necessary. No worries.

The unplugged bolt hole in the front of the transfer case should be plugged. If it isn't, oil will migrate between the TMS and TFR.

I've got good news for you — the 5th gear oiler cup is not needed. I ran my 5 speed 250,000 miles without one and 5th gear always ran fine and was never noisy.
The little plastic cup was designed as a precaution for possible low oil flow to 5th gear. As it turns out (after driving without one for 27 years — it isn't necessary. No worries.

The unplugged bolt hole in the front of the transfer case should be plugged. If it isn't, oil will migrate between the TMS and TFR.

Thanks, that's very consistent with my observations of no signs of lack of lubrication. All the same, since I have one coming, I'll stick the oiler cup in when I rebuild 👍

I've ordered the tiniest Welch plug from the transmission cover assembly which I will use to plug that redundant hole.

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom