No. 2 knock sensor/wiring harness modification? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently replacing my PHH and heater control valve, and figured I would look into my No. 2 knock sensor (CEL 55) while I'm working in that area. I've had the cruiser for a little over a year, code 55 was present when I bought the truck. I haven't looked into it until now because I was not experiencing any major runnability issues. I've replaced the front No. 1 knock sensor with an OEM already.

The No. 2 knock sensor is not present on the truck, and there appears to be some sort of plug or aftermarket sensor in its place. It also looks like the engine wiring harness has been modified as well, as the electrical connector definitely would not mate up with an OEM sensor.

Any suggestions on getting an OEM sensor back in its place? Just keep driving? Removing and replacing the sensor seems like it would be easy enough, but I'm worried about messing with the wiring around engine harness. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, and I've thrown a couple pictures down below for reference.

IMG_6498.jpg
IMG_6497.jpg
IMG_6496.jpg
IMG_6506.jpg

Connector is available from Toyota. It comes as connector with 6” or so lead on it. I’d order it and sensor and do a proper repair if it were me.

Connector or Knock sensor?

O'Reillys sells an aftermarket knock sensor, Import Direct line of parts, exactly the same as the Toyota sensor.

There's a harness connector with pigtail from another Toyota (?4Runner) that can be spliced in, but it doesn't have the wire mesh (EFI protection) like the original, it does fit without issues however. Can't find the part number right now.

Previous discussion:

Last edited:
I've really liked the experiences I've had with corsa technic. Just bought this the other day for 7 bucks, most of that was shipping and it looks like oem.

I've really liked the experiences I've had with corsa technic. Just bought this the other day for 7 bucks, most of that was shipping and it looks like oem.
11428 is not the OE connector for the knock sensor.
EDIT: However if you search that site for 11166 it appears to show the correct connector.

1612725674313.png

1612725726409.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll order those OEM connectors/pigtails and try and get this sensor dialed up. My biggest concern is trying to figure out where to splice into the wiring harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom