I broke off the male connector from the wire of my already broken knock sensor (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DocuDude

Took me 10 years to find this space
Threads
So the PHH was an alright job. Easy enough (snap the bottom tab, no bypass)

But I didn't remove the knock sensor, so that broke.
And now as I tried to remove the broken knock sensor from the male connector, the wire ripped off the back.

I can take a pic of the electrical wire if needed, but its a clean break right at the tip. All the twisting, trying to remove the K/S finally caused the wire to snap.

So now I have a still stuck broken knock sensor inside the female that needs to be reconnected to the wire.

What is the best way to reattach the male connector to the main wire?

IMG_20160526_210705.jpg

IMG_20160526_210713.jpg

Oh, and side pic of the male connector. Did I screw this up too?

IMG_20160526_210710.jpg

Toss it.

Remove sensor and solder a new male spade connector to the end of the sensor wire remaining.
"Pot" the male spade to the sensor in Epoxy so it won't vibrate apart.
Crimp new female spade connector on to the wire.
Done.

I have a 1994 engine wire harness that I can canabalize if you need a different connector to splice onto the harness.

If you're really anal go to corsa-technic.com, get crimp on terminals, and get a new plug. Pretty much everything is a 090II sealed connector in the engine compartment. I also have the Toyota Wire Harness Repair manual so you can look up the part number of the plug if you want. PM me if you want it.

1JZ/2JZ Knock Sensor Connector

I thought I remembered mine coming with the wire and terminal but I could be wrong. May want to ask them for details.

Come awn...

It is a 20 year old truck. It doesn't have to be perfect; it only has to work.

True, but getting the right part in my opinion is easier than messing around with epoxy and soldering.

I think 82998-12440 is the repair terminal and pigtail from Toyota. That doesn't include the housing. If you take a picture of the connector from the front I can get you the housing part number.

I didn't say it was cheaper. Either way he has two options. Both will work fine.

Thanks @DARKNESS & @Pin_Head

I should have also stated that I bought a used k/s that just came.

Since I have the "new" k/s I'd like to plug it in.

So if I get a new connector, all I would have to do is splice it in & I'm good?

Yeah if you buy a new pin from Toyota it comes with a pigtail and you just splice it in. You can also buy open barrel pins online and crimp a new one on. Just depends how you want to do it.

@DARKNESS I'm a rookie at all things electrical.
When you say "pin", do you mean the male connector?

Yeah if you buy a new pin from Toyota it comes with a pigtail and you just splice it in. You can also buy open barrel pins online and crimp a new one on. Just depends how you want to do it.

It looks like the knock sensor connector is 90980-11166 and the corresponding terminal is 82998-12440. I've included a picture of what it looks like. You basically just stick the pin in the connector and it clicks into place and splice the pigtail to your existing wire with whatever method you prefer (crimp or solder).

Knock Sensor Connector.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom