next best thing to ARB locker?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably an opinion question, but what's the next best thing to an ARB air locker? I'm putting this in a 1980 FJ-40 with stock axles and 33X12.50 tires. I mainly drive on road, but wheel a few times a year. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm running an Auburn Limited Slip in the rear (thanks Pinhead). I drive mostly on road---but when I go off road the Aubrurn has held up very, very well. The on road behaviors are great too.

Last edited:
in order: 80 series e-locker, detroit, lunchbox lockers.

A used ARB?:meh:

used 8274 with one of those carrying mounts for moving it from the front to the rear of your rig.

I would either run an ARB, an Aussie, or weld up the diff, depending on budget and use of the rig.

Auburn doesn't make a locker; they make limited slip differentials (LSD).

Aussie/Lockrite/Detroit EZ locker would be more than adequate for 33 inch tires.

Cash to go and buy a ARB.... there is no next best locker. IF you DD you will want a selectable locker

Cash to go and buy a ARB.... there is no next best locker. IF you DD you will want a selectable locker
I disagree, Auburn LSD's are 1,000 percent highway managable (zero noise), give you on road and off road traction, and unlike most LSD's that give the tire with the least traction (tire in snow, mud, ice) more of the drive shaft power, Auburn has switched that to give the tire with the MOST traction the MOST drive shaft power!!! All other posi units on the market either have highway disadvantages and/or zero highway advantage---think about it!!!!!

Powertrax? Lunch box?

Anyone know how well the Powertrax locker works. It might be considered a LSD, not sure. Is it smoother than a lock rite, Auburn, or Detroit.

Also, what does "lunch box" mean?

Thanks.

Also, what does "lunch box" mean?

Thanks.

A "lunchbox" locker installs inside the factory carrier (the part the ring gear bolts to). It is relatively small and replaces the spider gears. A full locker like the arb or detroit replaces the carrier and spiders. They are stronger because it is all 1 unit.

Put an Aussie in my 77 and love it, does everything its suppose to, however if you can save up. ARB is the way to go, i went cheap and it serves its purpose, however i know i will be having to do ARB one day ....

If funds are an issue, go aussie ... ;) same pretty much as lockrite and others ...

GL :beer:

Next best thing?

POWER STEERING!

Tires also bite a lot better when you have MORE control over the vehicle.

Best

Mark A.

Next best thing?

POWER STEERING!

Tires also bite a lot better when you have MORE control over the vehicle.

Best

Mark A.

Yes amen to that! I would blow off any locker install (or any other mod) until power steering has been done. I also run a powertrax and have found it to be excellent for moderate offroading and on the street. It hooks up when needed but not too scarey in the snow or wet roads. I don't run in the snow any longer but it doesn't work like a charm. I can't say that ARB is any less than stellar and the way to go if you have the bling for it though.

I've also got the Powertrax. Has worked just fine for me with mild wheeling. Easy install. Quiet operation (no clicking). On road is fine to, one just needs to adjust one's driving habits a little. A little less pedal essentially. I've been happy with it for the price. I'm sure ARB is the way to go if you have the funds.

Amen to Mark's power steering comment! I also ran an Auburn LSD in an '80 FJ40 and loved it - I plow snow and it worked like a charm in low-traction situations. Course, I had the Auburn in the front and an ARB in the back, so....I guess I was spoiled....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom