Newbie mistake trying to get to the air filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hadn't checked the air filter before and figured it was as simple as unclipping the lid and lifting the top. But it looks like I cracked the hose. So what have I done? How do I fix this? And are there any quick fixes I can do so it can be driven in the meantime (i.e. duct tape)?

7VpPefUcYCIJeBYa7TvgAC3tQZ2-4UXeP66_E3KE7jq1zKpaGW55u-jy3WYDg1NrXRDTbxS2_sBSTm_y5I1vdmzXtmlUgA8i5tpXSs2rN7EhV-9U1xu1990vBJ8N3jiqqCLk0QTt-vp0RpKH2YlISm5EW_Ec1LTHtXR1UsiLfIJE_0IIhQytrWTsyajgxqE8iuN4EKKBESSszaofy0ync25fwkX-JDFJ1XIN9S8ARsujhtnq8rpJhPmBzO20Db3tWBmnKqE54YCIDkSQjQSuDhw0K7a07q1Sxixmzy2Ilwit14bnwWU04nklYb_dDwiLCOCtY0BAUYfC3fllh8veK20tsS76REQmJE4KNb7Jps5FB1q8k8gi5nbIsRU1PgT1gwcLiJLERzA9QfxAhWOwkk75tyIMaeAn8EtaCV8q4BlzovDCYsZe9a_IMMAKvAZTXWMWRaFSAtcslPewv8WQSjNhn2Lu0kmTkCNrSiCyXflKbBUA_q3xciR-lTDesqOmaOy5b-wUfaG5y4yVYcyLhKioW-neLNRlCrsXSCe3IQipfcy8LYDyIsNOeGOEY6mKhuzP=w1769-h995-no

Duct tape will probably get you home. I'm sure some have used tape for years.

Best fix is a new one from the dealer or mud vender depending on your time and location.

I think Dorman makes one also you should be able to order from any parts store.

duct tape for now (I recommend leopard or mustache print), order a new one when you get a chance.

I've looked at the FSM and it looks like I can just replace that air cleaner hose segment? I guess this isn't that big of a deal, I just hate breaking things. What is the proper way to check the dang air filter in the future?

I just noticed that mine is wrapped in black electrical tape. A repair from the PO. I will be placing an order with @beno this week (again). I think I go to @beno's house more than I go to the grocery store. :)

You're just lucky to have him near you :)

Disconnect or at least loosen the clamps for air intake hose at both ends, don't try to lift up the air filter housing lid without doing that, otherwise you risk tearing the old hardened rubber which always tears between the pleats. With both clamps loose you can rotate the lid and hose a bit to prevent bending it in the middle too much when you R&R the air filter.

It's a blessing in disguise. Instead of chasing driveability issues down the road due to a small crack in the hose you'll have a fresh one out of the gate.

Thanks for talking my anxiety down, guys. I've got some duct tape all around it and it is driving fine. I've reached out to Onur for a replacement. I guess I should get used to breaking stuff on a nearly 20 year old truck :bounce:

Dont worry about it get a new one and that's it for another 15+Years.. It's bound to break later and really it's done it's function with 15 years of service.. As said before better now than later Duct tape is your frined till you find a new one.. ;)

I've looked at the FSM and it looks like I can just replace that air cleaner hose segment? I guess this isn't that big of a deal, I just hate breaking things. What is the proper way to check the dang air filter in the future?

You probably didn't do anything wrong, they just get brittle over time. :cheers:

You probably didn't do anything wrong, they just get brittle over time. :cheers:
I'm surprised I haven't done the same (yet) now that you mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom