Newbie Lockers Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search, but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I'm looking to buy an 80/LX450 model. How important are Lockers? Here's what I am going to use the truck for. 95% of the time, I'll be driving this thing to the grocery store, picking up kids, taking the family on vacation, etc. The times I do go Off Road, it's going to be trails up to a nice fishing spot. More exploring than joining a bunch of mudders at a rock run to see how well I can do that. In other words, I don't see myself doing the rock crawling thing. Would I be ok getting one without lockers or am I going to wish I had them?

Without is fine for your intended use. If you see that EVER changing (which can happen) you can still go no stock lockers, but just be ready to drop some major coin on aftermarket or retrofitting.

Ditto DanKunz,
For what you are going to do lockers are NOT needed. But I can only guess that if you are on this site long enough you are going to get more aggressive in what trails you tackle and what the 80 series can do!;)

Generally, the Factory lockers are free as most people don't know what they are and don't plus up the value of the truck.

You didn't say where you live. Is there snow and mountains in your driving future? The lockers help in the winter make you the only one who can get out after a big snow storm.

Thanks guys.

Could anyone point me to a write up on the usage of Lockers? I read the section in the FAQ by George Coyant, but was wondering if there was something more for the rank beginner. I think I need to understand what I'd be missing if I got a rig without them.

Last edited:
Romer, I live in Connecticut. Yes we can get a bunch of snow in the winter and just about everyone has at least one vehicle with AWD/4X4 here.

I know you don't plan on doing a lot of wheeling, but you may as well get them if you can. Like Romer said, most people don't even know they are there or what they do, so they don't add $$$ to the asking price.

Better to have them just in case, than drop $800 each for ARBs later. IMHO. Either way, the 80 will be a great vehicle for you.

Ours is a daily driver that we also can take to the Rubicon--and we just did!

Also, if you have lockers and decide to sell later, MUCH easier to sell if they do have lockers. Also, I don't really do any rock crawling, but I did have a situation where I was going up a fire road and it was too steep and slippery. Only way to get up was to put on the lockers. First and only time I've needed them so far and am I glad I had them. If you're like me, jut having them brings piece of mind. You'll never wonder "what if". And like everyone says. Their FREE:D

Keep in mind though, if you do decide that you want lockers, the search can be rather difficult. I don't think I'm the only mudder on here who is constantly checking the papers and autotrader's looking for locked rigs. I've been searching for the 'perfect low mileage locked LX' for around 6 months still. And I'm still looking...seen all kinds of unlocked trucks that I've passed on.

If you can find one with lockers, you will NEVER regret having them.

If you get a rig with lockers, you will probably never use them from what you describe. Finding a nice truck with lockers takes a lot of searching, as mentioned above. I stayed patient for about 6 months and just found the truck I wanted about a week ago.

CT...lockers for uber noobies :) :

4x4 low = power equal to front and rear, but if you lose traction you will spin the opposite wheel...so at most you have 1 front and one rear spinning if you get stuck...

turn on the rear locker...both rear wheels spin, no matter what.
turn on the front locker as well...all 4 wheels spin, no matter what.

If you understand how a differential works you can think of it as though there was no differential with a locker engaged...everything turns at the same rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom