Factory E-lockers engage when lifted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on getting my factor E-lockers in my 96 LX450 working reliably. I put all four wheels in the air so that I could visually confirm when the axles would lock and both front and rear lockers would lock after rotating them a bit.

Now when all four wheels are on the ground, the E-lockers make a sound, but never kock, even if I move straight forward and backward. They just blink.

So I'm thinking that maybe once there is a weight load on the diffs, the motors are too weak or actuator is too gummed up to allow it to physically move the rod that locks the axle. 🤷‍♂️ What do you guys think?

Dont move "straight forward and straight back", roll forward and drive in a lazy S.... Youll be able to feel when they lock in.

Dont move "straight forward and straight back", roll forward and drive in a lazy S.... Youll be able to feel when they lock in.

I'm assuming I'd do this on dirt and not pavement.

Yes, loose surface.

My front usually pops right in, but my rear can be a little tight ( 😆 ). I've noticed that if I'm shifting in and out on a wheeling trip, they get better throughout the day.

Blinking lighs can be a bad sensor or broken wire, you need to feel lockers via the steering wheel. The front normally engages quickly, but the rear may require time and slippage.
Doing figure 8's locked and unlocked will also offer clues if you look at tire scuffing and feel.

In order for the slide collar to lock, there has to be some differentiation between axle halves. They typically won't lock if you're driving in a straight line. All lockers work like this. The factory rear locker is a very coarse spline and the front is fine. That's why the front usually locks before the rear.

In any case, factory lockers are SO overrated IMO and folks love to pay a premium for vehicles with these lockers that are mediocre at best. I'll never understand it, but I digress.

In order for the slide collar to lock, there has to be some differentiation between axle halves. They typically won't lock if you're driving in a straight line. All lockers work like this. The factory rear locker is a very coarse spline and the front is fine. That's why the front usually locks before the rear.

In any case, factory lockers are SO overrated IMO and folks love to pay a premium for vehicles with these lockers that are mediocre at best. I'll never understand it, but I digress.
Meh. It came with mine, so I figured I'd make sure they work. Thank you for your explanation of how they engage. Now that I think about it, when the truck was up on four jack stands, in order for it to lock, I turned one side's wheel and then it locked, so I see what you're saying about the differentiation.

Meh. It came with mine, so I figured I'd make sure they work. Thank you for your explanation of how they engage. Now that I think about it, when the truck was up on four jack stands, in order for it to lock, I turned one side's wheel and then it locked, so I see what you're saying about the differentiation.
It's all good. My LX450 came with factory lockers as well. I had ARBs in my 91. Big difference in lock/unlock speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom