New2MUD and 30k Miles Later on First GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, MUD! Embarrassingly, I've been harvesting GX pre-purchase info from this forum starting in late 2020 without making a single contribution. I hope to make up for that by sharing some of what I've learned and that it may be found helpful by others.

I found my GX (2010 Base) on March 11, 2021 with 76k miles and a well-documented service record (to include the SAIS recall/replacement performed only months before purchase). Aside from a non-functioning USB port (unplugged behind panel) and anticipated service items, it has been without flaw.

4RtoGX.jpg
Needs: My intent was to retire my 2007 4Runner SR5 (210k) as family fun/tow mule after a recent trip to southern Florida. We were traveling with a small travel trailer and the 4Runner's weaknesses were showing. This 2010 GX fit our replacement criteria (backup cam, V8, six-speed) easily. We have since traveled with the same trailer to YNP, Gulf Shores, AL, Middle-MO several times and most recently, the Lake Michigan Outer Loop. 🥳
IMG_20210921_080042940_HDR.jpg

Mods: My primary use of the GX is towing our family of four around with light trail exploring (we most often spend time hiking or paddling when not doing trailer-bound activities). I can see adding skid plates and one of Gamiviti's racks in the near future. I am hesitant to do more than .75"-1" lift but do want to update the suspension in the next year. Also, when the stock sized Wildpeaks wear down I'll likely be going up to 265/65R18's. My goal is to improve weight-handling and ride while keeping the overall height at or below where my 4Runner sat.

I've done some other things I'll add to this thread soon. I've got a few things to post in the big picture and re-badge threads that some might find interesting.

Thanks to all the contributors on the forum. Lots of valuable knowledge being shared here!

camp1.jpg

Trailering: Camper is pretty light (4k loaded) and I have the tongue weight down to about 400lbs after relocating the batteries. Still, I utilize sway control and weight distribution (Andersen) to improve handling and safety while on the road.
brakes.jpg

I pulled my brake controller from the 4Runner and mounted it in the middle so my wife could safely bring us to a halt if I unexpectedly choked to death on a twinkie or handful of skittles. I found a spare console tray on eBay that I could get choppy with and the above photo is the result. Serves its purpose and stays hidden when not in use. I'll pull it out one of these days to fill in my cut marks and refinish but for now is fine.
sg2.jpg

I swear I saw a previous poster do something with a SGII like mine above but I haven't been able to find and credit them. If I come across it again I'll edit to give credit where its is due.
I use the SGII to monitor many things but transmission fluid temp is the primary purpose. It helps when doing drain and fills or when on the road with the trailer so I can adjust my speed/gear selection. I initially had it mounted on my steering wheel collar with velcro but I grew tired of the adhesive giving out on hot days.

Not yet pictured but I have installed a Derale transmission cooler under my horns and in front of the radiator. This has really helped cooling while pulling the trailer. Highest temps during my last long tow in June reached 212F. Typical temp stays about even with engine coolant.
***I'll add images when I have it apart for servicing next.

Last edited:
Interested to see your install of the Derale and which one you used. I need to do the same on my '13 for when I town my square drop as a precaution. I also need to install a SG. I like how you did your and may mimic that as well.

Interested to see your install of the Derale and which one you used. I need to do the same on my '13 for when I town my square drop as a precaution. I also need to install a SG. I like how you did your and may mimic that as well.
I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. Hopefully it cools down tonight.

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. Hopefully it cools down tonight.
txcf.jpg

txcsi.jpg

@Bang Bang
Coincidentally, I had a bird strike that necessitated further inspection/cleanup this weekend.

Pictured above is the Derale 13502 (Series 8000) cooler. I rough-cut the brackets from aluminum sheet and pop-riveted into the cooler mount flanges, while using existing threaded holes on the vehicle for final install. After 5k miles of use I have no working rivets or looseness in the mounts. I don't think I would try to fit anything larger as it would require more work/creativity to fit.

Since install, the highest transmission fluid temp has been 212F compared to a previous high of 238F while crossing from WY into MT en route to YNP a year or so ago. Personally, I think a cooler about half this size would be suitable for my application.

I would recommend that when you are fitting the hoses to the lower radiator barb, that you loosen or remove the two bolts holding the rigid cooler lines to the bottom frame. That will let you move the hose/clamp to a better working area in an area cramped by KDSS stuff.

View attachment 3385213
Trailering: Camper is pretty light (4k loaded) and I have the tongue weight down to about 400lbs after relocating the batteries. Still, I utilize sway control and weight distribution (Andersen) to improve handling and safety while on the road.
View attachment 3385216
I pulled my brake controller from the 4Runner and mounted it in the middle so my wife could safely bring us to a halt if I unexpectedly choked to death on a twinkie or handful of skittles. I found a spare console tray on eBay that I could get choppy with and the above photo is the result. Serves its purpose and stays hidden when not in use. I'll pull it out one of these days to fill in my cut marks and refinish but for now is fine.
View attachment 3385222
I swear I saw a previous poster do something with a SGII like mine above but I haven't been able to find and credit them. If I come across it again I'll edit to give credit where its is due.
I use the SGII to monitor many things but transmission fluid temp is the primary purpose. It helps when doing drain and fills or when on the road with the trailer so I can adjust my speed/gear selection. I initially had it mounted on my steering wheel collar with velcro but I grew tired of the adhesive giving out on hot days.

Not yet pictured but I have installed a Derale transmission cooler under my horns and in front of the radiator. This has really helped cooling while pulling the trailer. Highest temps during my last long tow in June reached 212F. Typical temp stays about even with engine coolant.
***I'll add images when I have it apart for servicing next.
Was browsing the big picture thread (again) and found the OG source of that SGII location (3rd pic down in this post): GX460 / Prado120 pic thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx460-prado120-pic-thread.929092/post-13007759
Thanks @jmanscotch
I couldn't see how you had it mounted or how the cable was routed but it helped me find a solution just the same!

I put some sticky padding on the bottom of mine and then shoved it up against the windshield 😂. The sticky tape wouldn’t hold it from an adhesion standpoint, but the combination of the shoving it up against the windshield AND the sticky tape would hold it (mostly) in place.

Routed the wires two different ways: once I ran it through the dash, snuck the wire into the HVAC vents and had it pop out of the defrost vent (the on you drilled) and once I just ran it up the side of the dash, under the weather stripping/trim and let the wires lay across the corner of the dash.

I’m doing the same thing on my new Tacoma currently, but will buy one of these 3D printed mounts some day (if link doesn’t work, just search ScanGauge mounts on Etsy):

Sold the GX a while back, but here it is shoved into the crevice of the windshield on my Tacoma (like it was on the GX) and the wires are hidden behind the A pillar trim. In that pic you found, it had just slide over on the dash some..that was prior to the sticky tape. You can see the clear sticky tape under it in this pic. It doesn’t move unless I hit a very hard bump when off kilt.

IMG_8414.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello, MUD! Embarrassingly, I've been harvesting GX pre-purchase info from this forum starting in late 2020 without making a single contribution. I hope to make up for that by sharing some of what I've learned and that it may be found helpful by others.

I found my GX (2010 Base) on March 11, 2021 with 76k miles and a well-documented service record (to include the SAIS recall/replacement performed only months before purchase). Aside from a non-functioning USB port (unplugged behind panel) and anticipated service items, it has been without flaw.

View attachment 3384950Needs: My intent was to retire my 2007 4Runner SR5 (210k) as family fun/tow mule after a recent trip to southern Florida. We were traveling with a small travel trailer and the 4Runner's weaknesses were showing. This 2010 GX fit our replacement criteria (backup cam, V8, six-speed) easily. We have since traveled with the same trailer to YNP, Gulf Shores, AL, Middle-MO several times and most recently, the Lake Michigan Outer Loop. 🥳
View attachment 3384966
Mods: My primary use of the GX is towing our family of four around with light trail exploring (we most often spend time hiking or paddling when not doing trailer-bound activities). I can see adding skid plates and one of Gamiviti's racks in the near future. I am hesitant to do more than .75"-1" lift but do want to update the suspension in the next year. Also, when the stock sized Wildpeaks wear down I'll likely be going up to 265/65R18's. My goal is to improve weight-handling and ride while keeping the overall height at or below where my 4Runner sat.

I've done some other things I'll add to this thread soon. I've got a few things to post in the big picture and re-badge threads that some might find interesting.

Thanks to all the contributors on the forum. Lots of valuable knowledge being shared here!

safe.jpg

Mods cont'd: Skids done. I had read somewhere that the brackets were sometimes not aligned with the frame holes, so I was extra careful to get all bolts started by hand before tightening. Turns out that I must have got one of the straight ones because everything lined up nicely. Far stronger than stock and more than adequate for my application.

ducksquishedjeeps.jpg

Unrelated but I may have witnessed the demise of a dozen or so Jeepers. Something about getting between a Mama and her babies...squish?

View attachment 3395403

Mods cont'd: Skids done. I had read somewhere that the brackets were sometimes not aligned with the frame holes, so I was extra careful to get all bolts started by hand before tightening. Turns out that I must have got one of the straight ones because everything lined up nicely.
Great point about hand tightening!
Leading in the threads and hand tightening all the nut/bolts of an assembly should always be done first before tightening them all down.
One never wants to torque down the very first nut/bolt and then the next, and next, without having them all threaded on first.

Mods cont'd: Rack installed a few weeks ago. Very impressed with the material/build quality/versatility.

roof.png

Still have some minor adjustments to do but I have the primary configuration mapped out in my head. When the kayaks/roof box are needed up top, it can be done in about ten minutes. Still unpopulated by gear at this time but the basic layout is there.

Mods cont'd: Rack installed a few weeks ago. Very impressed with the material/build quality/versatility.

View attachment 3469352

Still have some minor adjustments to do but I have the primary configuration mapped out in my head. When the kayaks/roof box are needed up top, it can be done in about ten minutes. Still unpopulated by gear at this time but the basic layout is there.
Gamiviti rack, correct?

Installed the Bilstein 5100s this week and took a trip to Peter's Mill Run in Virginia this morning. Left everything at stock ride height and I am pleased.
05.jpg

I purposely drove less conservative lines to "sketch" hits into the skids. Going to put it on the lift on Monday to see how they look after today's run. So far, it seems like the difference between a hit and full clearance of an obstacle is less than a half inch with careful approaches. So going to 265/65R18 on my next set of tires should get me to where I want to be after all. Planning for February as these still have an easy 10K miles left in them.

It is amazing how filthy this color can be and still look relatively good. Nuts.

Installed the Bilstein 5100s this week and took a trip to Peter's Mill Run in Virginia this morning. Left everything at stock ride height and I am pleased.
View attachment 3502927
I purposely drove less conservative lines to "sketch" hits into the skids. Going to put it on the lift on Monday to see how they look after today's run. So far, it seems like the difference between a hit and full clearance of an obstacle is less than a half inch with careful approaches. So going to 265/65R18 on my next set of tires should get me to where I want to be after all. Planning for February as these still have an easy 10K miles left in them.

It is amazing how filthy this color can be and still look relatively good. Nuts.
Just an FYI/PSA comment after the above. I developed a brake fluid leak shortly after installing the shocks/struts and while I do not think they are related, it would be smart to check security of other components while on jacks/rack/ramps etc.
Said leak was found mid-trip over the holidays and I expected the worst (failed caliper or cylinder). I had just installed the suspension and exercised it properly with what I initially thought were good results. What I did not notice initially was the fluid trail (visible in photo) next to each of the (driver front) wheel spokes. It was cutting through the dirt, dust and mud unlike how water would. Brake light came on as well as MTS and associated lights, so I checked the level and found it to be low. I checked the brake lines and found the driver front took about 1/2 turn before any indication of torque. Since then (1200 mi) there has been no fluid loss or other indicators. Just thought prudent to share while I don't have an identified causal factor.

Being the disgusting maggot I am...I waited until 120,120 miles to change my original spark plugs today. Original plugs looked good overall and gapped within spec. Definitely have some leakage in the cover/head seals but nothing I haven't seen before in my other Toyota vehicles and not enough volume to worry about.
The job wasn't terrible either. I tried out one of those GearWrench magnetic spark plug tools in 5/8" that someone here had mentioned I think. Very happy with the results.

Huh.jpg

Because I read into things more than I should sometimes, I find it almost irresistible to point out that for us lower-mileage 2010 owners at least...we were not meant to ever see our second service appointment if going by a monthly schedule. 😅

Being the disgusting maggot I am...I waited until 120,120 miles to change my original spark plugs today. Original plugs looked good overall and gapped within spec. Definitely have some leakage in the cover/head seals but nothing I haven't seen before in my other Toyota vehicles and not enough volume to worry about.
The job wasn't terrible either. I tried out one of those GearWrench magnetic spark plug tools in 5/8" that someone here had mentioned I think. Very happy with the results.

View attachment 3527613

Because I read into things more than I should sometimes, I find it almost irresistible to point out that for us lower-mileage 2010 owners at least...we were not meant to ever see our second service appointment if going by a monthly schedule. 😅
I think the biggie on that list you posted was "Check installation of driver's floor mat" 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom