LX to GX - First Time GX Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine had brake dive since purchase (76k) and started really loosening up around 100k. I replaced mine with Bilstien 5100s and am pretty happy with it. All GX460s (unless modified from stock) have KDSS. You likely have a typical shock/strut configuration. AHC versions have two more switches (height and ride settings) above where you'll find your Hill Descent (or CC) and H4/L4 switches.

I think both are rare but show signs around 100-150k. Some good info on the coolant valley repair here.

None and haven't heard of any.

So, I’m guessing it’s about that time to replace suspension. I’ll have to start shopping around for deals and wait for the right one to come along. No serious wheeling in the near future, just occasional hunts and camping trips until the baby is a bit grown.

My brake pedal tends to vibrate for a sec after depressing coming up to a stop. My old one’s brake pedal would vibrate for 30-40 seconds before shutting off. Turns out the booster was going out.

Last question for now… any experience with the power steering making a burping/humming noise while turning lock to lock?

My brake pedal tends to vibrate for a sec after depressing coming up to a stop. My old one’s brake pedal would vibrate for 30-40 seconds before shutting off. Turns out the booster was going out.

Last question for now… any experience with the power steering making a burping/humming noise while turning lock to lock?
I don't have any experience with either of those conditions. You might have some luck using the forum search for like symptoms. Otherwise, I might start a new thread for each of those issues. Questions in this forum usually get quick responses if the problem is known to others. Good luck.

So, I’m guessing it’s about that time to replace suspension. I’ll have to start shopping around for deals and wait for the right one to come along. No serious wheeling in the near future, just occasional hunts and camping trips until the baby is a bit grown.

Most steering will whine at hard lock. Never heard a "burp" or humming unless you're referring to humming as whining.
How is the feel? Heavy, anything unusual when going lock to lock?

Some people have reported that though the leak seemed to be at the upper rad hose connection, it was actually a leak coming from the endcap to core interface. The rads seem to fail here a significant amount of the time.

Most steering will whine at hard lock. Never heard a "burp" or humming unless you're referring to humming as whining.
How is the feel? Heavy, anything unusual when going lock to lock?

It's difficult to describe the sound but turning the steering wheel while moving is buttery smooth, no pops or anything either. But, if sitting still and turning the steering wheel it's a bit tougher - to be expected - but not too tough.. and then there is this sort of low dog whine sort of sound when spinning the steering wheel. I don't know.. probably just me and my schizophrenia.........

Some people have reported that though the leak seemed to be at the upper rad hose connection, it was actually a leak coming from the endcap to core interface. The rads seem to fail here a significant amount of the time.

Sorry, but just so I'm understanding, do you mean the top of the radiator? Like, the upper top/cap half? I know only the most technical terms and have to constantly ask folks to stoop to my level :D

But, I did thoroughly check the area(s) from which I presumed the leak to be dripping. The radiator coolant filler cap was checked, also the molded connection from where the coolant filler cap is manufactured onto the top of the radiator was checked for pinholes/cracks. No pinholes nor cracks but when the engine is up to temp, I see a consistent drip line coming from where the upper rad hose connects to the radiator.

Side note, it is red coolant... right? That's what's supposed to be in there... right?? RIGHT??? :oops:

It's difficult to describe the sound but turning the steering wheel while moving is buttery smooth, no pops or anything either. But, if sitting still and turning the steering wheel it's a bit tougher - to be expected - but not too tough.. and then there is this sort of low dog whine sort of sound when spinning the steering wheel. I don't know.. probably just me and my schizophrenia.........
If you're by a Lexus dealer, I'd pop in and let them have a look. It wouldn't cost anything for them to turn your steering wheel!
If they think the sound is suspicious, they'll let you know.

Yes, coolant is red. The rad core has end caps (plastic) which run vertically the entire height of the core. at each end (left and right sides) They are attached to the core and can leak there.

Okay I'll check those end caps in-between rain storms this week/weekend.

Snapped some photos of the leak! And replaced the rad hose and circle clamps with new. Still seeing a very minimal drip/leak coming from the same area but it's lessened up quite a bit verses before.

Also, I'll be listing a 2013 Nissan Versa SV this weekend if any Mudder's want first dibs on a reliable 38 mpg commuter. It's been a good ride and I hate to see it go but we don't need three cars. We've had it since new.

IMG_7673.jpg

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom