New yukon pinion crushed (not the crush sleeve kind of crushed) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The fellow doing my front locker just sent me this. I'm assuming this is from a press. My question is, are the ring and pinion lapped together from the factory? Can the pinion only be changed without issue? I do realize the gears breaking in do the majority of the wearing together but I'm not sure what actually matters.

received_264272639605274.jpeg

it might have been caused by a puller, the threaded rod pushing in the dimple causing the damage
how did the guy say it happened?
wondering how much force/preasure was applied?
usually sold as a set, not sure you could just by the pinion

just re-read, is it brand new?
from the missing pieces, there is rust/discoloration which would mean previous damage/cracks

The fellow doing my front locker just sent me this. I'm assuming this is from a press. My question is, are the ring and pinion lapped together from the factory? Can the pinion only be changed without issue? I do realize the gears breaking in do the majority of the wearing together but I'm not sure what actually matters.

View attachment 3345919
Looks like they used a puller on the yoke/ flange and then commenced to beating the crap out of the pinion with a hammer to get the pinion out of the carrier.
Yes you can replace just the pinion gear, sure but you will get noise no matter how it's set up, if this is a high mileage car most of the cruiser front ring and pinion gears are worn out and need replacing anyway.

I highly recommend doing them together and tell my customers the same and retract any warranty if they don't. the reason I mentioned removal "techniques " is because I want you to be sure you've hired a qualified tech. Things happen, just be sure you're getting what you pay for.

What year- ?? 4.10 or 4.30?

Ive got a 4.10 ring & pinion take off available.

Thanks guys. The dude doing it knows what he's doing, as I know several people that had good experiences. It looks like it happened while pressing the bearing on. Maybe some side glancing force took the side of the pinion threads off. Not sure, but I'm stopping by the shop later today to talk about everything. That looks like rust, but it's anti seize. He did mention that they'd have to be replaced in a set, so that's good.

This is all kinda frustrating because this whole thing has taken 6 weeks, and now this. Things absolutely happen, so I'm not upset about this happening, but the length of time this has taken is a little much. I would've just done the thing myself if I would've known. It's definitely on me for not checking ETA when I dropped it off, but we've blown past a couple deadlines now, and here we are with a tore up pinion.

abuck, it's a 4.30 from a 98. I have a trip in 3 weeks, so I may be looking into buying someone's take out chunk if this isn't done.

Contact east coast gear supply and see if they have any 4.30 takeoffs - they do a lot of toyota diffs and gears (for other shops).

Or post a wanted add in classifieds

I don't see how that damage could have happened while pressing a bearing on the pinion shaft.

I don't see how that damage could have happened while pressing a bearing on the pinion shaft.
And usually there is no need to "press" it on the pinion. Usually just cool down the pinion a little bit and warm the bearing a bit. And it will fall onto the pinion.

The pinion and the ring always comes as a set. I don't think they are really matched pairs (machines together like camshaft bearings or so) but maybe from the same manufacturer from the same batch.
Anyhow, I would get a set (those are not sooo expensive), get a new bearing for the pinion and then install and adjust it. Or get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom