New Toy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tontorecreationalliance.org
Hi, my name is Kevin and I am a Cruiserholic, bought my first in 1975, a 1973 FJ40 with 21K miles, it now has over 200K.

After a five month search for an 80, I found a 1996 LX450 with all the fun stuff, lockers, no roof rack, no porches (running boards) and light colored! It had 34K miles and paid $17,200 at a local BMW stealer on July 4. Much more than I wanted to spend, but it's very clean and everything works.

Lurking on this forum was a big help in knowing what to look for!
lc.jpg

The standing joke was "take your Dramamine we are going for a ride in the Cruiser!" it wallowed all over the road, steering inputs were more of a suggestion than a command. Jettisoning the original Michelin tires for a set of Nitto Terrain Grapplers in 295-75-16 made a huge difference it now goes where it's pointed. I can't believe how mushy and unresponsive the Michelins were, I guess that's what some call luxury?
lc_tires.jpg
lc_tires1.jpg

Found a great deal on a used "set" of OME springs and shocks complete with arms that already have caster bushings pressed in, thanks to LandCruiserPhil. For the front 851 medium springs and N73 shocks, for the rear 863 heavys and N74L, kind of a weird combo?

With the bushings already pressed it was about half the day Saturday to get them installed. Before it had 19.25" in the front and 19.5" in the rear from the center of the hub to the flare, after there is 22" in the front and 23.75" in the rear, big time stink bug. I am going to fab some Slee type spacer plates for the front for now and need to fab some spacers for the rear stops so the shocks are not destroyed.

The spring rate is just right in the front and stiff in the rear, will see how that changes with bumpers and sliders. It drives well, no twitchiness or pulling, steering input is now a command that is obeyed!
lc_lift.jpg
twisted.jpg
stuff.jpg

Nice Find Kevin.

And welcome..... :flipoff2:

Nice to see a Lexus getting dirty!

damn, 8 years old and only 34k miles! Very nice find.

Nice find indeed! :)

Man, i don't see how these guys are finding these low milage trucks. I didn't search for years or anything but i found mine with 98,000 miles and i thought that was good.

nice job tools! and welcome.

I was just checking out your website and have a simple question for you. :confused: Do you need clearance from air traffic control when you shoot those rockets up 6000+ feet?

Very nice and welcome! :flipoff2:

Very good price on a local Az truck.

Hell I searched for 8 months and never found anything close to that... although I never looked at the Lexus models because of the extra body molding wasnt for me.

Looks good!

>I was just checking out your website and have a simple question for you. Do you need clearance from air traffic control when you shoot those rockets up 6000+ feet?<

The club gets an FAA air space use wavier and the FAA issues a notice to pilots that there are crazy rocket fliers out there! :)

>Man, i don't see how these guys are finding these low milage trucks. I didn't search for years or anything but i found mine with 98,000 miles and i thought that was good.<

All the "low miles" ones we looked at were 90K to 115K and $15,000 to 20,000. Finding this one was pure luck, add in the Sunday paper, I thought it was a misprint. They were asking $21,995, I couldn't believe they accepted my offer, I guess cash talks! A Lexus technician made an offer before we got there and they accepted it, but he couldn't qualify for a loan and three others showed up to test drive it before we left with it. I had to take it back to them yesterday so they could do the "predelivery" safety and emissions tests.

Who would own a truck for eight years and still have the original tires?

Tools R Us said:
Who would own a truck for eight years and still have the original tires?

I got you beat. My 1993 I bought 4 months ago had the OE tires on. 11 years baby! Of course, they were as bald as my nut sack, but they still held air (mostly).

Doc said:
Nice to see a Lexus getting dirty!
That's not dirty!! :flipoff2:

Sharp looking rig though, to few scratches and dents for my taste though... :)

Kevin,

I'd have to say that is just about the perfect find and I think the price was very fair. You've obviously accrued more than your share of Cruiser Karma.

Look us up if you ever get over to Albuquerque.

:cheers:

-B-

RIP Kevin. Thank you for all of your knowledge, wisdom, and plain ol’ good advice. You’re a legend and your legacy will live on.

Hi, my name is Kevin and I am a Cruiserholic, bought my first in 1975, a 1973 FJ40 with 21K miles, it now has over 200K.

After a five month search for an 80, I found a 1996 LX450 with all the fun stuff, lockers, no roof rack, no porches (running boards) and light colored! It had 34K miles and paid $17,200 at a local BMW stealer on July 4. Much more than I wanted to spend, but it's very clean and everything works.

Lurking on this forum was a big help in knowing what to look for!
View attachment 1512
B01FE932-9B0B-448D-BB3A-1377E583F458.png

RIP Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom