For Sale Finland - 1997 Land Cruiser HDJ80, LHD, Manual 5-speed, 3x locked, 1HD-FT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Selling this rare 80 series. It's from 1997 which makes it one of the last ones built. 1HD-FT engine, LHD with a manual 5-speed transmission. Uncommon 'poverty' model with the barn doors, triple locked. Driven a bit over 394tkm, which according to the internet is around 245k miles.

Located in Finland, been imported here from Austria, well taken care of, no major issues, still regularly taking it for a drive myself. Things to note are a small crack in the windscreen, the spare tire carrier has been removed, drivers seat is damaged/ripped from the side, central locking is not working, and then the previous owner has drilled a small hole on the side of the hood more or less around where you'd expect a snorkel to go, which has been taped over.

Body rust very limited, which is unusual over here, frame is similarly in good condition.

Current tires are BFG KO2 All-Terrains with only some thousands of kms on them (285/75/16, so ~33").

EGR parts have been removed by one of the previous owners, but the parts are still available/included. Some extras installed relatively recently such as a diesel heater (Webasto) for pre-heating the engine/inside, double DIN radio, turbo boost gauge, those metal things under the doors on the sides, extra driving lights, tow bar with additional reversing lights.

Surely some things have been left unsaid so feel free to ask questions here or in PM. Asking price 30,000 EUR. Willing to help figure out shipping and other practical arrangements.

>>>Latest price drop 25k USD

>>>>>>Limited time price drop to 20k USD, please read through the last post(s).

`1.jpg
`2.jpg
`3.jpg
`4.jpg
`5.jpg

Last edited:
24v or 12v?

24v or 12v?

Hi, not sure of what you're asking, engine is 1HD-FT so 24 valve, or if you're asking about the voltage it's 12v (do 80 series that charge to 24v exist?). Has 2x 12v batteries under the hood linked in series, so could presume the starter to be 24 volt but never looked into it.

Last pics for the moment:

27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

Sorry voltage is what I meant. If 2 are in series, it is likely a 24v truck.

A quick internet search seems to tell me that 80 series typically operate with 12 volt, with the exception of the starter which might be 24v to assist with starting in cold climates (bet that's the case here). See also the voltage meter top right in the picture below:

x.jpg

24v or 12v?

A quick internet search seems to tell me that 80 series typically operate with 12 volt, with the exception of the starter which might be 24v to assist with starting in cold climates (bet that's the case here).

99% likelihood it's a 12V car with 24V starting system. Can be converted to 12V starting if you like--search 'Mud for how-to.

Love this spec! Does the truck have AC? It isn't clear from the photos

No A/C switch on the dash, and no compressor on the motor. Not sure where they're hiding it if it has A/C.

I wouldn't usually inject myself into someone else's "for sale" thread, but I have spent years trying to procure a car with this spec, and now have one. The one I have is the only one I've seen with A/C and every one I shopped prior to buying mine had 24V starting system on an otherwise 12V truck. Fantastic spec for an 80--I love mine! GLWS

BTW, build date is probably late 1997, and if that's the case, this truck is legal for import to the USA. Not hard to do.

Great truck indeed. Good luck!!!

Love this spec! Does the truck have AC? It isn't clear from the photos

No A/C switch on the dash, and no compressor on the motor. Not sure where they're hiding it if it has A/C.

I wouldn't usually inject myself into someone else's "for sale" thread, but I have spent years trying to procure a car with this spec, and now have one. The one I have is the only one I've seen with A/C and every one I shopped prior to buying mine had 24V starting system on an otherwise 12V truck. Fantastic spec for an 80--I love mine! GLWS

BTW, build date is probably late 1997, and if that's the case, this truck is legal for import to the USA. Not hard to do.

Indeed no A/C that I know of.

And you're welcome to stick around, ironically I believe we first interacted in another sales thread of sorts, either way appreciate the input. You might well be right about the build date now that I think about it more, the papers only mention 1st reg date. Will try to figure it out with the VIN and update probably tomorrow, thanks for pointing it out.

Took me some days to get back to this in the end, but to follow up the build date indeed turned out to be late 1997, and then taken into use early 1998. Updated the title but it appears I can't edit the text of the first post anymore unfortunately.

It would be extensive if you want it done oem , I can imagine the whole dash harness needs to be added, then the lines, got to cut holes in the firewall, geesh just put a 18v clip fan . Your going to need compressor , brackets , climate ecu , the blower , condenser yadda yadda yadda

75CBAE44-AE56-40DA-8A62-B06B68F6AFCF.png

I actually looked into this for a truck I found prior to buying mine since so many trucks of this spec came without a/c. It's extensive, but not impossible. Harder than watching TV, but not like a mission to fly a helicopter on Mars or anything. You'd need to more or less disassemble a good part of the dash, but the holes for mounting the blower and routing the lines through the firewall are already there. See here:
blocked hole.jpg

You may want access to a parts car to make things a little easier and cheaper for yourself. I suspect some of the parts would be interchangeable between a US market FZJ80 and this HDJ80, but not all. Anything that's native to the car interior or body should be the same(?), while anything that's native to the motor would be different. So you'd probably need a new pulley for the belt and a bracket for the compressor to name a couple of things, but (just guessing) a lot of other things might swap over, like the blower, condensor, some of the hard lines. Maybe you'd need to make some new soft lines (or order them from Toyota if they're still available). You'll need to check a lot of part numbers on ToyoDIY.

The advertised truck has manually operated climate controls, so no climate ECU--the a/c on models like this was operated with a simple "on/off" switch like this one:
ac switch.JPG

I doubt you'd need a new wiring harness, but you might need to run a few wires.

Or, yeah, get a fan.

still for sale?

still for sale?

Hey, haven't looked here in a while, but yes, it is for the time being. I'm going to have to decide in the upcoming time whether to try to sell this more actively (only listed it here so far) or keep it and start modifying it and sell our other vehicle, bit of a tough choice. Only some minor issues have come up during the periodic inspection since I listed it - it's been in storage in Finland since while we've been on somewhat of an extended trip. For anyone still interested/considering I'd be willing to settle for some 1000s less at the moment if that would enable selling it within a month or so.

Aaaand we're back again. I'm more motivated to sell at the moment, so another update and price drop. I've noticed the inside of one of the wheel wells got damaged and there's a small hole, no idea how or since when exactly. Next, previous owner installed spacers in the front, and I've been thinking of removing them and then visiting a workshop for a wheel alignment with the idea it might improve ride stability. Additionally, the LC has started to wobble a bit when braking, so I'm wondering if the alignment would help with that as well, or otherwise rotors probably need to be replaced. On the positive side I installed 2 new Exide batteries about a week ago, similar spiral cell technology to Optima but arguably better.

Asking 25k, and that'll be in USD this time. Will gladly assist with transport and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom