New to 'MUD - Seeking advice... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
about.me
New to the forum... Been lurking, trying to soak in as much knowledge as I can.

I have an opportunity to buy my first FJ40. It's a 1978, original 2F and 4-Spd. Supposedly runs well, hoping to drive it soon. My concern lies with the rust. It looks great at first glance and upon closer inspection, the rust is pretty heavy in certain spots. At least it seems that way to this newbie.

I've posted some pics here... http://bit.ly/mCTCXz

I'm hoping that a few of you folks will be interested in checking out the pics and giving me some feedback/opinions on how much you might pay for this rig or if you'd just stay away from it.

Thanks!

Welcome. Regarding the 40, it has rust everywhere, now that is what you see in pictures imagine whats hidden! I would stay away, others might have a different opinion since it is a 78, if the price is right and one has time.

Take the rust you see and times it by 10 and that is how bad it is. The rear sill actually looks good, surprising with the other rust. If the price is right it does loot like a good rig to start with. Looks like you can drive it while fixing the rust issues. Looks complete other then the front turn signals, they are from the 1960's.

Owner recently dropped price from $4000 to $3300.

cjgoode said:
...Looks complete other then the front turn signals, they are from the 1960's.

Yeah, I was curious about that, too. Thanks.

If it runs good and you can do the body work needed 3,300 is not that bad, if rust scares you or you cannot weld and add new metal yourself paying someone to do it probably makes 3,300 to much. None of the rust looks like structural problems so to me not bad, I would probably try and go under 3k. But it really depends on what it looks like underneath and the frame. These rust from the inside out. So while the outside of the back parts look good now, looking at it from the backside might tell a different story.

Im not sure of the tub is salvagable just from pics. As was said you can x that by 10 for what rust you don't see. But complete parts and good running condition as well as drive line + 4x4 is a plus. If I didn't have any knowledge as far a body work, welding and such, I would walk away. If you have these skills I would not go over $2500.00 absolute maximum. But that is me. And those signal lights are from the 60's.:wrench:

I didn't realize how much these cruisers go for until AFTER I bought mine. At the time I thought I payed too much but afterwards I did a little snooping around and found out I got a heck of a deal. I bought my 1970 FJ40 from the original owner who bought it brand new in '70 and parked it in the barn in '78. Its been there ever since. I've been trying to buy it for over 5 years but he wouldn't come off of it. Finally I decided to offer an OUTRAGOUS amount of money (so I thought at the time) of $1000 and that afternoon I hauled it home. The tub is rusted out and the F-155 is locked up but I know my way around a garage, I can fix the rust myself and I just traded my Farmall Cub for a freshly rebuilt LT1 to drop in. To keep a long story from getting longer if you can drive it home try to get it for $2500. If it doesn't run, try at it for $1500. Obviously not everyone is going to stumble upon a dusty gem for a grand, I consider myself fortunate, but there are better deals out there.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm so glad I found this forum and I really appreciate the help!

I don't have any welding skills and I'm not a mechanical genius, but I'm really looking forward to learning, getting my hands dirty and ultimately getting out on the trails with some of you guys in the near future.

I'm going to go check it out, see what it looks like underneath and get a better idea of the running condition. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

...not everyone is going to stumble upon a dusty gem for a grand, I consider myself fortunate, but there are better deals out there.

Sounds like a heck of a deal and project! I'd like to see the 'gem.' Are you doing a build thread on it?

This truck is for sale down south by AL, LA, FL somewhere. I can't remember. If you can get it for three and most of the items are there body wise then snatch it up. I'd buy it for $3k and start tearing it apart and cutting out the rust. I would also get in touch with some MUD members in your area and see if a 12 pack of beer and a little road trip would interest any of them. I'm not in the market for a cruiser and Lord knows I have too many laying around but I look at 3-4 cruiser a month just cause its fun. I'm sure someone would be willing to go with you to look at it. My $.02 and welcome to MUD!

Looking further into the pics the factory front seats with headrests are worth their weight in gold. The jumpers in the rear look pretty good as well. The owner has put in a new alternator, fairly new battery, looks like new plug wires, also front 3 point aftermarket seat belts are $75 a piece plus shipping (you already have those), the dash isn't all cut up, that rear lisc plate holder is $150 new, all hinges look present and accounted for. Those rear tail lights are aftermarket $48/piece and factory double that, the front turn signals are early 60's turn signals. But still if they work then go for it. The point is that this truck is probably worth 4k all day long. You found a nice truck and an owner who needs cash. If you can get it for $3k and most of the parts are already there then what are you waiting for.

Last edited:
rust= 20% seen / 80% yet to be found

X2 on the recommendation to hook up with the local club - maybe someone will even have time to accompany you looking at it

Contacted the seller... He just let it go for $3k. My search has only begun.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's nice to get reassurance on how I felt about the rig and helpful to hear the 'tip of the iceberg comments' regarding the rust.

As far as the local clubs, there is a trail ride this weekend nearby. Is it rude to ask if I can ride along without being a member or even owning a rig? I figured it would be a chance to meet them and ask questions. A good learning experience and opportunity to get some great photos. Thoughts?

Im not doing a build thread.....at least not not. I'm new to the site, I'm still trying to figure stuff out. I will post some pics as soon as I come across the ones that I took when we first pulled it out of the barn. It had about an inch of dust on it but thankfully the tires were still holding that 1978 air that was pumped into 'em over 30 years ago. Hmmm, must have had better air back then.

Nice piece of Swiss Cheese! Anyway, a good club won't mind if you tag along. Go to a meeting and get the lay of the land. That's how everyone finds out if they are compatable. A lot of clubs are family oriented, some less. Find a group you are comfortable with and - Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom