BUILD :: Moose - 3rd Gen 1997 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
about.me
Welcome to the build thread for my new-to-me 4Runner. It's a 1997 SR5 V6 5-Speed 4x4 with E-Locker in the rear and 168k on the clock. I've affectionately nicknamed it the Moose.

It was originally bought in Vegas and it's lived in Utah, California, Wyoming and now Louisiana. I purchased from another MUD member that was looking to get his first FJ62 (which he did, real nice one, too). My wife and I planned to fly up and drive it home, would've been a heck of a road trip! However, it started to look expensive, so I decided to ship it here instead. With a recommendation from Lance (Thanks Lance!), I decided to use McNutt Auto Logistics and they did a heck of job, even delivered it a day early! It was exactly what I expected it to be. It's got a few dings/dents and the paint up top is shot, but all things considered I got a heck of a deal and I'm really happy with it!

It's going to be a super-slow build, but I'll keep track of my maintenance/repairs/upgrades/wheelings here. Thanks to everyone for all the help so far and thanks in advance for all the help I'll be asking for soon!!! I know you guys/gals like pics, so here we go...

On the truck in Wyoming...

7658526610_3fc5b9647f_z.jpg

7658526800_b07ecebb66_z.jpg

And in my driveway...

7681742076_0e595d7dfb_z.jpg

7681735808_d2100a0bb3_z.jpg

First thing I did, of course, is remove the running boards!

7688614904_20c9dae1e6_z.jpg

7688645974_000100b65a_z.jpg

:cheers:

lookin GOOD!:)

the list of repairs upgrade good:idea:

keeping track of the $$$$$$$ bad:idea:

just saying:)

again congratulations on the new 2 U :steer:

very nice looking 4Runner! I too want to see this progression.

moose? like in Bullwinkle J Moose

I'm kinda thinking this might motivate John to move a little faster with his.......... :grinpimp:

:flipoff2:

Actually, as of now, we are about even. I also have removed my running boards, changed my fluids (except for front diff. that will be tomorrow. The plugs have been soaking all week.), greased my shafts, and replaced the rear suspension.

I am still deciding what to do with the front. I want some lift, but not too much yet until I kick my daughter out of it.

I am also waiting on my money tree to grow!!

In summary, and I say this with all of the respect deserving of your title, BITE ME BITCH!!!

Sub'd for sure. Great to see more and more 4Runners on here. And you got the best color 3rd gen by far. Anthracite is the s***!

Agreed! I love the Anthracite. That is a good looking rig!

moose? like in Bullwinkle J Moose

Ha! I wasn't really thinking Bullwinkle, but yeah. I like Moose as a nickname and the color seems appropriate.

:flipoff2:

Actually, as of now, we are about even. I also have removed my running boards, changed my fluids (except for front diff. that will be tomorrow. The plugs have been soaking all week.), greased my shafts, and replaced the rear suspension.

...I am also waiting on my money tree to grow!!

I need to do some greasing, too. I should do it this weekend. And there is a lift in my future, just not sure how far into the future. Speaking of which, I keep seeing reference in here to money trees. Do we get one of those with our LLK membership? Mine must be in the mail. :hmm:

That's funny. The 'Small' Chrysler!

Thanks everyone for all the love! I really dig the color, too. Unfortuantely, at some point, I think I'll have to repaint the thing and I'm assuming that matching the color will make it even more expensive. It's low on the list though, so I'll worry about that later.

Change Fluids

One of the first things I wanted to do the Moose is change all the fluids... Front/Rear Differentials, Transmission, Transfer, Engine Oil/Filter. I had no idea it would take me as long as it did! However, after many trips to many parts stores and a few busted knuckles and bruises... Fluids changed and mind at ease.

Mainly for my own future reference, here are the specifics...

Engine Oil: Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 + Fram High Mileage Filter
Torque Specs: Drain 27 ft-lbs 15mm

Rear Differential: Valvoline DuraBlend 80w-90
Torque Specs: Drain & Fill 36 ft-lbs 24mm

Front Differential: Red Line 75w-90 API GL-5
Torque Specs: Drain 48 ft-lbs 12mm Hex & Fill 29 ft-lbs 10mm Hex

Transfer: Red Line 75w-90 API GL-5
Torque Specs: Drain & Fill 27 ft-lbs 24mm

Transmission: Red Line MT-90 API GL-4
Torque Specs: Drain & Fill 27 ft-lbs 24mm

I haven't replaced the bottom engine covers/skid plates as they were caked in oil/mud. I started scrubbing them down and will finish that this weekend. It's like cleaning all the flavoring out of your BBQ pit! Also plan on pumping the shaft full of grease and replacing my front wiper blades.

I'm thinking about Plasti Dip for a few things... The license plate holder on the rear, the front grill (grill is already black, but rough) and emblems (currently gold and pitted). Not sure how the black will look against the Anthracite. Or if I go black, how the emblem will look black on black. I'm missing the rear Toyota and SR5 emblems. Now I'm rambling. I'll post some pics later so you can see what I'm talking about.

From this:
[URL="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7688645974_000100b65a_z.jpg"] [/URL]

To this in no time with how quickly you work:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom