Tighe's LX570 - general thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He said "gingerly".. That might not be the case. Don't be scared to put the effort into pulling up on it.

Success. That was easy- thanks all!

F2B580AE-3AA5-45EA-B7B6-02891FFBECAA.jpeg

Last night I installed a GROM USB3 kit into the LX. The GROM website only lists the Toyota as compatible, not the Lexus, but it works fine. I got the USB3 rather than the BT3 because for some reason my Bluetooth was non existent from the infotainment screen. I also purchased the BT module from GROM to resolve this issue.

My recommendation for anyone doing this is to first get the FSM and review how to remove the various trim panels and the infotainment screen. I had the FSM so it was pretty quick but it would be tedious if you're flying blind.

My process was:

1. Put the truck in neutral and the e-brake on, and disconnect battery.
2. Remove the trim panel with the start button. Either remove it completely or just enough to get it out of the way. Do the same on the PS.
3. Remove the two center air vents. The DS air vent I only partially removed, then just pushed out of the way. I recommend removing it completely if you can.
4. Undo the two screws and the two bolts holding the infotainment screen in. Completely remove all the harnesses from the back and set it aside.
5. Undo the two screws and bolts holding the radio unit in, and slide it halfway out. Made sure to protect surrounding surfaces are there are lots of sharp corners.
6. Detach the only harness that matches the GROM harness, and then plug and play. The GROM unit comes with decent instructions, and from what I can tell there is only one way to plug it in.
7. I put the unit itself behind the infotainment screen - there is room. Use double sided tape or velcro.
8. Run phone charging cable as needed, and mic cable, and reassemble.

And some corresponding photos:

Air vents removed/pushed out of the way, along with knee/starter button trim panels. Detach harnesses from infotainment screen and remove completely.
IMG-1899.jpg

Remove radio unit below infotainment screen - 2 bolts, 2 screws, and a little wiggling. No need to remove it further, only enough to detach the harness matching the GROM unit.
IMG-1914.jpg

Connect the GROM unit and tuck it away. I put it in the cavity behind the infotainment screen. Run phone charging cable as desired. At this point I recommend reconnecting the battery and testing all the connections to make sure everything works. Once confirmed, begin reassembling. I could still reach through the PS air con vent to access the unit, which was handy.
IMG-1918.jpg
IMG-1919.jpg

IMG-1921.jpg

Last edited:
Lastly, run the mic cable. I mounted it up by the rear view mirror and ran the cord as shown below. I have not tested the quality of the connection yet, but this was a very easy way to run the mic - the majority could be tucked away without having to remove any panels.

routing.jpg

So far so good - it uses the DISC/AUX button to activate, and it connected to my phone with no issues.

Last edited:
I cringed looking at the first pic. But I see you add the towel in the next. o_O

I cringed looking at the first pic. But I see you add the towel in the next. o_O
Haha yeah, I was careful despite what that first pic may suggest! You can see the towel in the first pic if you look closely...

Last edited:
Last night I installed a GROM USB3 kit into the LX. The GROM website only lists the Toyota as compatible, not the Lexus, but it works fine. I got the USB3 rather than the BT3 because for some reason my Bluetooth was non existent from the infotainment screen.
Are you saying that you couldn't get y our iPhone to connect to the LX Bluetooth?

I was originally able to connect both phone and music to LX on my 2011 but then about 6 months ago something happened (iOS update maybe?) and I'm no longer able to connect my music automatically. Phone still connects automatically every time I start the truck without any issues but the music connection will not connect unless I go through the pairing again. As soon as I turn off the truck that pairing goes away for some reason. VERY frustrating because it used to work and then stopped.

Last night I installed a GROM USB3 kit into the LX. The GROM website only lists the Toyota as compatible, not the Lexus, but it works fine. I got the USB3 rather than the BT3 because for some reason my Bluetooth was non existent from the infotainment screen.

If you do change your mind and decide to add BT functionality, I think it's just a matter of adding this BT adapter to the USB3. I've had this Grom unit for years and it's working great!

Amazon product ASIN B0058I6JGS

If you do change your mind and decide to add BT functionality, I think it's just a matter of adding this BT adapter to the USB3. I've had this Grom unit for years and it's working great!
I did add the Bluetooth module with the USB3 unit. My phone connects to it no problem and finally I can make hand free calls. It was actually your post about it that made me look into it, so thank you again!

Are you saying that you couldn't get y our iPhone to connect to the LX Bluetooth?

I was originally able to connect both phone and music to LX on my 2011 but then about 6 months ago something happened (iOS update maybe?) and I'm no longer able to connect my music automatically. Phone still connects automatically every time I start the truck without any issues but the music connection will not connect unless I go through the pairing again. As soon as I turn off the truck that pairing goes away for some reason. VERY frustrating because it used to work and then stopped.
My issue was that there was no Bluetooth/phone pairing option in my menu. The hardware is all there - the steering wheel buttons, etc, but the icon/button in the infotainment menu was nonexistent.

I posted previously about it here. The USB3 unit with the BT module seems to solve the issue, so I'm probably done looking into why it's not present on my truck.

Lastly, run the mic cable. I mounted it up by the review mirror and ran the cord as shown below. I have not tested the quality of the connection yet, but this was a very easy way to run the mic - the majority could be tucked away without having to remove any panels.

View attachment 2560332

So far so good - it uses the DISC/AUX button to activate, and it connected to my phone with no issues.
Great write up. Can you provide the link to the exact USB3 kit you purchased? There are multiple ones on Grom website and I'm not sure which one is the right one.

Great write up. Can you provide the link to the exact USB3 kit you purchased? There are multiple ones on Grom website and I'm not sure which one is the right one.
No problem, see below for links. Keep in mind that my OEM bluetooth mysteriously did not work, so I bought the separate bluetooth dongle. If yours works then I suppose you don't need it. So far no problems with the install. It's not as seamless as an OEM setup but no real complaints, it does the job well.

TOYNU3 (Toyota Lexus Scion 1998-2012 USB3 bluetooth interface with 6x6 harness) - 1 pcs x 149.99
BTD (GROM Bluetooth Extension / Dongle for Hands Free and wireless audio 10FT microphone) - 1 pcs x 49.99

Last edited:

Not sure if you ever figured it out, but apparently there was an IOS update a while back that rendered the iPhone incompatible with almost all vehicle bluetooth in YM 2012 and earlier. Our phones all stopped working in my 2012 Highlander and 2012 Prius after an update. They eventually did start working again and I'm not sure what triggered it, but now, after every update, I go in and remove my phone from the Bluetooth menu and then restart my phone and do a fresh pairing. It seems to work fine. I never had the issue my 13 LX

Last night I parked under a streetlight and of course this morning there was some nice streaky bird s*** down the side of the quarter panel. I’ve tried soap and water, and per google, WD-40, but I still can see some remnants. Nothing discernible by feel, but still there visually. Am I screwed? Anything else to try?

4CA5DA50-4AC0-4408-AFA7-60E522892B29.jpeg

Last night I parked under a streetlight and of course this morning there was some nice streaky bird s*** down the side of the quarter panel. I’ve tried soap and water, and per google, WD-40, but I still can see some remnants. Nothing discernible by feel, but still there visually. Am I screwed? Anything else to try?

View attachment 2606818
Maybe try some buckshot. If you are in a neighborhood where that may be frowned upon, then maybe a pellet gun with a nice scope will work. It really depends on the size of the bird.

Have you tried claybar?

Maybe try some buckshot. If you are in a neighborhood where that may be frowned upon, then maybe a pellet gun with a nice scope will work. It really depends on the size of the bird.

Have you tried claybar?
A reasonable solution! I wonder what SDG&E would say about their streetlight that keeps going out! :poof:

I tried WD-40 a few more times and I think it resolved it. The difference was spraying it onto a rag and wiping, vs spraying it directly onto the car and letting it soak for a while and then wiping.

First world problems to be sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom