New to LC world. Bought a ‘99 LX470. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Good Morning. New to the Land Cruiser arena but have always loved the abilities. I have beeen looking for awhile at 80 series and then this gem popped up. It is a 1999 Lexus LX470 I purchased from a 3rd owner with 140k miles. He had owned it from 40k miles till now. The ride is in great shape with more amenities than my 2013 Tundra limited edition 4x4. Mind blowing. So the drive home my nephew convinced me to stop by Total Chaos and buy a couple Upper Control Arms. Then we stopped by King and grabbed some shocks for the front end. That night we got home and tore off the front wheels and then decided to read a little. The AHC was something that I am unfamiliar with and still am. So next purchase was from Slee for their diff drop and the OME Torsion bar set. Unfortunately need to wait 5 days for delivery. So last night we attacked the right front UCA. Weeeeelllllll not so much luck. The ball joint bolt was seized so we used a sawzall and cut through it and removed the 2 upper bolts now with the bolt stuck. Went to AutoZone but they didn’t have the right press. Anyway sprayed and hammered and a bunch of other things with no luck. Going to prob drill it out today. I am new to this stuff as I have always been a VW guy. Any help would be awesome. Have a good day!

image.jpg

good project right off the bat! I want to get TC upper arms in the future and this is good homework for future truck work. Good link there @hoser

What are you going to lift the back with? The LX springs are the lowest load rated springs as the AHC helps buffer the difference once loaded. If you using stock bumper, the medium OME 860s will give you 2.5" lift and get the most of the the shocks you got/getting.

T-bar brackets to frame are TQ spec of I remember 160ft/lbs, so you may need to rent/borrow a higher spec TQ wrench.

Also those AHC rear Shock bolts on the rear are MAJOR freaking PITA! With the help from other mudder's info, I bit down and bought this low profile ratchet system. When under the truck, I don't think there would have been any other way. The nut is in a cone and there is only 2" above for access.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NIAKJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The longest flex head 12mm is for the two bolts for the AHC lines on the rear shocks. This was ample length.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F512F7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good project right off the bat! I want to get TC upper arms in the future and this is good homework for future truck work. Good link there @hoser

What are you going to lift the back with? The LX springs are the lowest load rated springs as the AHC helps buffer the difference once loaded. If you using stock bumper, the medium OME 860s will give you 2.5" lift and get the most of the the shocks you got/getting.

T-bar brackets to frame are TQ spec of I remember 160ft/lbs, so you may need to rent/borrow a higher spec TQ wrench.

Also those AHC rear Shock bolts on the rear are MAJOR freaking PITA! With the help from other mudder's info, I bit down and bought this low profile ratchet system. When under the truck, I don't think there would have been any other way. The nut is in a cone and there is only 2" above for access.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NIAKJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The longest flex head 12mm is for the two bolts for the AHC lines on the rear shocks. This was ample length.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F512F7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sweet! Haven’t got that far on the rear yet on the rear. I will look into it soon. Thanks a lot for the info.

Keep tension on it, then whack that little nub on the spindle with a good sized hammer.

Got it out. Used some pb blaster and a cheater. Thing flew! Now tightening everything down. Had to massage the right side a little.

image.jpg

Height control sensor for the AHC. I don't know if you have a few extra brackets on the TC UCAs, mid-arm or so is where it would attach.

Since you are changing to conventional suspension, you should remove it, box it up and send to another member that needs it :) (not me).

Height control sensor for the AHC. I don't know if you have a few extra brackets on the TC UCAs, mid-arm or so is where it would attach.
So if I am going to eventually ditch the AHC I can unplug it in the engine bay and remove it?

Since you are changing to conventional suspension, you should remove it, box it up and send to another member that needs it :) (not me).
It was in perfect shape. I will do that. Thanks gents appreciate it!!!!!

Yep, no issues at all removing it. It's nice to get all the junk out of there if it's not being used.

If you're keeping the AHC in the short term, you'll probably want to hook it back up. If this is just the first step in going to a more conventional setup, then it's time to ditch it.

Done with the UCA’s on both sides. Going to wait still the other items show up before I remove the AHC. I need to look up tips so I don’t run into too many issues. Here is the drivers side all done.

image.jpg

Just bought both for the future. Thanks again.

Taking the running boards off and the rear mud flaps. Any suggestions for the rear lower fender that covers the bumper? Super flimsy with one screw. Oh well guess I will wait to make it look right when I build my bumper.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom