New tire time. 20" options only please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HGB

Threads
Bought a new to me 13 LX to replace my recently totaled 2010 LX. It came with Michelin Latitude HP Tour tires which I love due to the MPG element (made for optimum fuel economy) but they need to be replaced. The fronts have worn more than the rears, and in the center of the tires, i'm at 3/32nds. The tires are stamped 2017 I believe. The truck has high miles, so it's plausible that they've done a considerable amount of mileage in a short a mount of time.

The main things I need out of a tire:

Smooth, quiet ride
Must be decent in snow (I don't off-road but it snows here in the midwest from time to time)
Prefer something that could improve MPG.

It appears my other option is the Michelin defender MS, but on Michelin's site it says they aren't the same load/speed ratings as OE, wheras the Latitude is.

I'm worried the Latitude isn't really designed for such a heavy car, as well.

I had some Continental's on my previousG class that were nice, but again, please let me know your thoughts/recommendations for my application!

In Consumer Reports testing the Michelin Defender had the lowest (best) rolling resistance which translates into good mpg. The tire is heavily siped and is known for being decent in snow (not a true winter tire obviously). CR tests point to very high miles before they’re worn out, which is what anecdotal reports here & elsewhere state.

In Consumer Reports testing the Michelin Defender had the lowest (best) rolling resistance which translates into good mpg. The tire is heavily siped and is known for being decent in snow (not a true winter tire obviously). CR tests point to very high miles before they’re worn out, which is what anecdotal reports here & elsewhere state.

Thanks! Ordered the defender’s in 285/50/20; and have an appointment scheduled for install tomorrow.

Thanks! Ordered the defender’s in 285/50/20; and have an appointment scheduled for install tomorrow.

Definitely Micheling Defenders is way to go. I had 285/50r20. Those look way too skinny. Go 275/60r20. If AT 285/55r20

Reactions: HGB
Ok, this is going to sound odd but I have similar needs/wants from a tire BUT have trouble joining the Defender bandwagon. I have tried these tires, probably 5 sets in the past 15yrs. I want to love them. I want be one of the happy customers that writes reviews on TireRack. These tires, theoretically, are a perfect match for me. I cannot get there. Persistent balance/roundness issues have been an issue for me. The other thing is I swear the Michelin magnetizes the steel belts. I have never had more puncture wounds... Every set. Maybe it’s my Karma for bad mouthing the French, I cannot help myself with that one. Google French military victories. I love certain Michelins on motorcycles. I know they’re good tires but it hasn’t worked out for me.

I have had nice luck with Toyo H/Ts but don’t get quite the miles I’d like. They hold balance, grip adequately etc. I’m on my third set of Sumitomos of similar design. My LX now rides on the Sumitomos on 20s. My opinion of those is ‘hard to get balanced but once right they’re a pretty good value’. They have a similar life to the Toyo, ride good, quiet, siped for good rain/light snow and are priced right.

I’m not trying to be a hater. I’d love nothing more than 18” TRD rims and Defender LTX M/S in 275/70/18. Please talk me off of the ledge and say I’m right but in the past 3yrs X has changed and Michelins are now great.

83D40D57-17EE-416B-9367-2AFDE441BE8F.png

Last edited:
Ok, this is going to sound odd but I have similar needs/wants from a tire. I have tried these tires, probably 5 sets in the past 15yrs. I want to love them. I want be one of the happy customers that writes reviews on TireRack. These tires, theoretically, are a perfect match for me. I cannot get there. Persistent balance/roundness issues have been an issue for me. The other thing is I swear the Michelin magnetizes the steel belts. I have never had more puncture wounds... Every set. Maybe it’s my Karma for bad mouthing the French, I cannot help myself with that one. Google French military victories. I love certain Michelins on motorcycles. I know they’re good tires but it hasn’t worked out for me.

I have had nice luck with Toyo H/Ts but don’t get quite the miles I’d like. They hold balance, grip adequately etc. I’m on my third set of Sumitomos of similar design. My opinion of those is ‘hard to get balanced but once right they’re a pretty good value’. They have a similar life to the Toyo and are priced right.

I’m not trying to be a hater. I’d love nothing more than 18” TRD rims and Defender LTX M/S in 275/70/18. Please talk me off of the ledge and say I’m right but in the past 3yrs X has changed and Michelins are now great.

I love the set I've got on my stock wheels. Definitely get great gas mileage and have the traction.
I did have ti replace one because of a sidewall tear. Hadn't gone thru to make em leak or anything but was a good 3-4" cut and didn't want to risk it blowing on the highway

Guess you might need to give it one more shot huh? Haha

Definitely Micheling Defenders is way to go. I had 285/50r20. Those look way too skinny. Go 275/60r20. If AT 285/55r20

Hey Luke- have any photos? 285/50 is factory so I'm used to seeing them with that look.

Here are pictures of 285/50r20 and 275/60r20
View attachment 2113384View attachment 2113385

Both look great, TBH. I think your wheels are a bit darker than mine, I’m interested in painting mine dark graphite (I usually paint/PC black) on my black LX.

Have you noticed a change in fuel economy? I already ordered the 285/50 and Discount Tire is offering a goodwill switch from some KO2’s I bought a year ago and installed for only 200 miles, so I really don’t want to jerk them around and switch the order again.

Both look great, TBH. I think your wheels are a bit darker than mine, I’m interested in painting mine dark graphite (I usually paint/PC black) on my black LX.

Have you noticed a change in fuel economy? I already ordered the 285/50 and Discount Tire is offering a goodwill switch from some KO2’s I bought a year ago and installed for only 200 miles, so I really don’t want to jerk them around and switch the order again.
Yes, I have powder coated wheels gun metal color. Wanted darker, but didn't want to go black.
Diameter is slightly bigger but have not noticed fuel economy change but really don't pay attention so who knows. Still fuel it once a week.

Yes, I have powder coated wheels gun metal color. Wanted darker, but didn't want to go black.
Diameter is slightly bigger but have not noticed fuel economy change but really don't pay attention so who knows. Still fuel it once a week.

could you share the color code if you have it?I think it’d look sharp on my black LX. Here’s a photo of mine now:
5A30B580-0F5B-4064-89AD-19F5FEE96A10.jpeg

Do you think they look horrible? These are the latitudes I’m set to replace, to be clear. Any more angles of the larger sidewall 20s you have? Any rub?
615F03F5-CA4B-4A10-BF2C-43D3E0AA0467.jpeg

could you share the color code if you have it?I think it’d look sharp on my black LX. Here’s a photo of mine now:

Do you think they look horrible? These are the latitudes I’m set to replace, to be clear. Any more angles of the larger sidewall 20s you have? Any rub?

I don't have the paint code as chosen from sample wheels at the powder coating company, BUT I have touch up paint that I have perfectly matched as had to touch up one spot. Will post the code in couple of days. I am traveling and will not be back until tomorrow night.

I went with the BFG KO2's 285/55R20's because of how popular they are but regret not taking the time to research other brands and what forum members liked the best. Looking back I probably should have chosen the 20" Michelin LTX for a better road and highway ride and probably gone for a 285/60R20 for a 33.5" tire diameter. I am getting a 2" lift soon so that larger tire size may have been ideal. I am in the process of having a set of 17" Rock Warriors refurbished with a custom paint combination. I figure they will be my winter set and I will most go with BFG KO2's C load range again because the guy i purchased the RW's from has a brand new set of 285/70R17's for half price. It will be nice to have two different extremes of 20" wheels and 17". The 17" set up should be considerably lighter. It will be interesting to see which ones ride and handle my style of driving the best.

Last edited:
Truck is dirty, and the shop didn’t dress the tires at all, but here she is. I’ll post more once I clean it up. Tires are so smooth and quiet. They also seem to get good fuel economy which is a bonus. I’m happy with the 285/50/20 size that I chose (OEM) and now I’ll decide whether to powdercoat the wheels dark graphite, or black. If black, I would plan to wrap the chrome black.
1A25E948-782F-4FC3-816F-DF83F94F9749.jpeg

I don't have the paint code as chosen from sample wheels at the powder coating company, BUT I have touch up paint that I have perfectly matched as had to touch up one spot. Will post the code in couple of days. I am traveling and will not be back until tomorrow night.
here is the touch paint which matches my wheel powder coat.
s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom