New tie rod end broke in 2 months... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in February I installed new rod relays, tie rods and damper. Got everything adjusted properly, greased and straight.

Yesterday I helped my sister with a move, fully loaded my truck, drove a few windy roads, everything felt smooth. When I was heading back home I noticed my steering wheel wasn't centered like it was. Steering still felt fine, upon turning into my driveway I heard a pop. Lifted the car up to recanter my steering wheel and to make sure everything was tight and working only to find the passanger side tie rod end had play in it. The nut with the pin are tightened all the way but there is still some play in it. The other tie rod end feels tight with no play.

Did I do something wrong during the install? Is this common? perhaps a cheap part? ( I got this tie rod kit from cruisercorp )

What to you mean it had some play in it? They have a little play, it is basically a ball joint so they move a little. If the clamp securing the tie rod has become loose then the rod could effectively begin to adjust itself in or out which would throw off your steering. Make sure everything is tight first.

What to you mean it had some play in it? They have a little play, it is basically a ball joint so they move a little. If the clamp securing the tie rod has become loose then the rod could effectively begin to adjust itself in or out which would throw off your steering. Make sure everything is tight first.

Everything is indeed tight. There is play in the ball joint area, where there wasn't play before.

I am going to take a total shot in the dark here and make a guess that when you tightened the nut on the Tie rod end that secures the TRE taper into the arm you didn't actually get the nut fully tight....and the taper has unseated resulting in a connected but slightly loose fitting Tie Rod end (TRE)

Usually most new tie-rod issues are due to installation failure unfortunately. It sounds like the tie-rod has the play, but I'm curious if its actually the relay rod as those joints are adjustable and sometimes a little loose out of the box and many overlook that they need to be set to spec. Can you show us which has play for better understanding?

I missed typed, the relay that is connected to the passenger tie rod is fully seated and tight, but suddenly has play in the joint.

Do the old jack the truck up on the side that you think has failed. Try by hand to wiggle the tire with the offending tie rod end. If excessive play is found that could in fact be due to the tie rod. Grab the tie rod as best you can and try to move it. (sounds like you have done this already) a good bit of movement like you have described is usually a bad tie rod. Never had one go out that fast, but I'm sure it can happen. Probably just a fluke, and good thing you caught it before it caused you more trouble.

Cheap tre?

Do the old jack the truck up on the side that you think has failed. Try by hand to wiggle the tire with the offending tie rod end. If excessive play is found that could in fact be due to the tie rod. Grab the tie rod as best you can and try to move it. (sounds like you have done this already) a good bit of movement like you have described is usually a bad tie rod. Never had one go out that fast, but I'm sure it can happen. Probably just a fluke, and good thing you caught it before it caused you more trouble.
Looks like I’ll be ordering a replacement. So wild to have it break so fast... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Usually most new tie-rod issues are due to installation failure unfortunately. It sounds like the tie-rod has the play, but I'm curious if its actually the relay rod as those joints are adjustable and sometimes a little loose out of the box and many overlook that they need to be set to spec. Can you show us which has play for better understanding?
Yup, I’ll post a few photos tomorrow.

You can tighten that up at the end of the Tie rod. Remove the cotter pin and tighten the adjuster all the way in then back it off about 1/2 to a full turn
and reinstall the cotter pin. I've always find the new tie-rod ends have a bit too much slop in them for my taste.
:beer:

Isn't the link with the adjustable end typically called the 'drag link' - with the adjustable end at the Pitman arm? Just want to keep clear whether we are talking about the drag link or the tie rod.

Good video. You get a gold star. Certainly looks like the ball failed. Can you get the nut off and remove the joint for a full look?

edit: not the ball itself but the pieces that contain the ball.

believe the guts look like this

7BC69021-FBDF-4361-8DBA-71F6FFE88735.jpeg

Good video. You get a gold star. Certainly looks like the ball failed. Can you get the nut off and remove the joint for a full look?

edit: not the ball itself but the pieces that contain the ball.

believe the guts look like this

View attachment 2307443
Thank you! I can definitely get the nut off and open it up to check.
Are individual internal parts able to be ordered?

Thank you! I can definitely get the nut off and open it up to check.
Are individual internal parts able to be ordered?

that I dont know. likely should just replace the whole piece.

I’d look at the FSM to see if it calls out any adjustment on that piece. I’ve no direct experience with mine yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom