New Thule Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

skinny hound - sorry about the parts issues, I have the same problem. My gas struts are shot, and to get new ones from Europe is $100+ shipping from Denmark.

I've had my gas struts off the Brenderup and they are just normal gas struts that can be sourced anywhere. I replaced one with a new strut right off the shelf at Auto Zone. All you have to do is match the length, the correct ball ends and the weight capacity of the strut so it isn't too stiff. I think the one that I bought might have been 10 lbs stiffer than the existing struts but now with a year or two of age it is fine. If you have one of those old time auto parts stores with Old Dudes (tm) running the parts desk and who aren't totally reliant on the make and model of some car to find a part in inventory via a computer - ;) start there.

Last edited:
It would be like putting a Dana 44 under a Miata convertible. You still have a Miata but now it's heavier and doesn't handle well.

If I needed that much hauling capacity I'd just buy a second trailer. ;)

The soft independent suspension under this Brenderup trailer is what makes it so nice on the highway or light-duty off road (gravel or dirt). I had a normal American style utility trailer before this with a straight axle. That thing bounced and crashed over every road imperfection and shook whatever I carried on it to pieces - literally. My lawn tractor was a mess b/c of that straight axle and stiff springs on a 5x8 trailer. It did okay with my heavy motorcycle though. I removed one leaf spring and it was better but still not as smooth as these Brenderups.

If I needed that much hauling capacity I'd just buy a second trailer. ;)

The soft independent suspension under this Brenderup trailer is what makes it so nice on the highway or light-duty off road (gravel or dirt). I had a normal American style utility trailer before this with a straight axle. That thing bounced and crashed over every road imperfection and shook whatever I carried on it to pieces - literally. My lawn tractor was a mess b/c of that straight axle and stiff springs on a 5x8 trailer. It did okay with my heavy motorcycle though. I removed one leaf spring and it was better but still not as smooth as these Brenderups.

I saw one of these on the local Craigslist here in Alaska awhile back - if I didn't already have a nice, small off-highway utility trailer I'd have jumped on that.

Regarding the Dana 44, I was replying about getting a common, easily-sourced solid axles and the negative effects therein - but I agree - the thing about a torsion axle like those on the Brenderup is the progressive nature of the spring - you have a light load, you have a soft spring - a heavy load winds it up more, it's a heavy spring.

There are limits to this - suspension travel being part of what gets used up, and a really long travel progressive springs can have excessive sway (which can be improved with stiff shocks added - my suby-trailer used to sway like a canoe full of sugared-up kids before I added some stiff kyb gas-charged shocks - now it's very well behaved with both light and heavy loads).

I'd love to see your tongue extension up close. Am thinking about an easy temp extension so we can haul out canoe on top of the Brenderup trailer. Need about 3 or 4 ft longer tongue to keep the canoe out of the car's back end. We have the Titanic of aluminum canoes.

Here's a picture of my diy tongue extension. I basically removed the oem tongue, and welded a new, longer one (beefier too) to go in it's place. It's a semi permanent solution (bolted in), but relatively easily converted back if I ever need to(I kept the original tongue, which also bolts in); unfortunately, I cant help you with a temporry solution, mine is not set up for "easy" temporary use at the moment. I do get lots of comments on this trailer.

BTW: If anyone has a lead on an oem spare tire/wheel, I am still looking. Otherwise, I'm thinking of a winter project whereby I rebuild this trailer, replacing the floor with diamond plate, and welding in a new USA torsion axle with some parts friendly hubs; of course it will also mean new wheels & tires, but this trailer will be a long term keeper for me...

28txdtl.jpg

Just for reference, I placed an order with Autoflex-Knott, Inc for a spare wheel/tire for my Thule Adventure 1700 trailer. I wanted to share the contact info for anyone trying to find parts for their trailer. I'm not sure if they can get any part, but wheels they can definitely handle.

Shaun Johnston

Operations Manager

Autoflex-Knott, Inc

100 Industrial Drive

Fox Lake, WI 53933

P 920-928-6875

F 920-928-6880

C 920-344-4055

I have a brand new 145/80R13 tire for sale if anyone is interested and is willing to pay shipping. It came off of the spare rim of my Thule N1205(1700) trailer. It is very difficult to find this trailer tire size in the US.

Here's a picture of my diy tongue extension. I basically removed the oem tongue, and welded a new, longer one (beefier too) to go in it's place. It's a semi permanent solution (bolted in), but relatively easily converted back if I ever need to(I kept the original tongue, which also bolts in); unfortunately, I cant help you with a temporry solution, mine is not set up for "easy" temporary use at the moment. I do get lots of comments on this trailer.

BTW: If anyone has a lead on an oem spare tire/wheel, I am still looking. Otherwise, I'm thinking of a winter project whereby I rebuild this trailer, replacing the floor with diamond plate, and welding in a new USA torsion axle with some parts friendly hubs; of course it will also mean new wheels & tires, but this trailer will be a long term keeper for me...

28txdtl.jpg
I have a similar trailer, N3205; would you please post a description and some more close up pics of your platform on top of the tongue/A frame of the trailer. It looks like you made a platform frame made out of 1" x 2" metal tubing and the tongue extension is a 3"x3" square metal tube.
How long was the tongue extension from end to end? I was planning on adding a frame over the hard cover to carry my our 5 bikes (3 kids and 2 adults) but I like your idea alot better. I am also of the same mind about keeping this trailer around for a long time.

Old thread, but this has been extremely helpful! I bought a used 1500 and been making some updates to it as well as an upgrade. Replaced gas struts with ones that can handle double the load (45 lbs vs 90 lbs), new coupler and a jack. I also found on a European site with some add-on crossbar racks on the Brenderup trailers over there and basically copied the design. I just reached out to Autoflex to see if I can get a spare tire. My rig so far.

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

I really like your setup.. where did u get those extensions that u mounted on the lid? The ones to give u clearance over the lid. I have a 1205s that i would like to do that to.

Old thread, but this has been extremely helpful! I bought a used 1500 and been making some updates to it as well as an upgrade. Replaced gas struts with ones that can handle double the load (45 lbs vs 90 lbs), new coupler and a jack. I also found on a European site with some add-on crossbar racks on the Brenderup trailers over there and basically copied the design. I just reached out to Autoflex to see if I can get a spare tire. My rig so far.

View attachment 1377107

View attachment 1377105

Thanks for the compliment! I made them using 1" aluminum square tubes from Home Depot and a 2" flat aluminum bar. I copied the design from a Brenderup Bike Rack accessory that is only sold in Europe. Note that I used stainless steel bolts, nylon spacers, washers and lock nuts to attach the extensions to the cargo top. The front is completely attached to the metal "ring" while the back only has the bottom two attached and I used nylon spaces and washers to attach to the cargo box. I used 1" fenders on the inside. Also kept the bolts short enough that they are flush with the lock nuts so they don't interfere with the cargo box lid when closing. I uploaded a gallery of photos for you to take a look.

I really like your setup.. where did u get those extensions that u mounted on the lid? The ones to give u clearance over the lid. I have a 1205s that i would like to do that to.

Still trying to get the hang of posting images on this site. Click the link below the photo, "Brenderup Rack Accessory...." and you will find a photo slide on next page (click back arrow to see the rest of the photos).

Anyone know if there is there a way to edit posts once they are posted?

I found a sweet deal on a Yeti Tundra 125 that is perfect for my family of 5. But needed a way to take it with us on trips should we need it. Built a custom cooler mount for it on the trailer's tongue. This required adding an extension hitch so I can turn easily with the cooler on the front of the trailer. I my little "upgrade" project is now complete! Summer can't get here soon enough!

nice thread. working on a similar trailer. Easyline 150. goal is 2 canoes and 4 bikes. yakima rack stuff. still a work in progress.

20161213_080059.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Tongue Batman! :D (no....don't....)

you cutting that off just a bit past the canoe or .....?

yes. cutting that off just a bit past the canoe. should be finished this weekend.

also have 2nd set of trailer lights (operating in conjunction with trailer's lights) to attach to rear of canoes as they will overhang over 2'.

20170310_080951.jpg

Last edited:
Nice - I think that will work for a light trailer - easy to adjust length. I did something similar but with single u-bolt and a ball halfway up the extension - just remove for "short" - add for "long". Your 2 ubolts in the back support the spot with highest stress so that's good.

I looked up your trailer - it's a Thule!

Folding Utility Trailers, Trailer Kits, Parts and Accessories | Red Trailers | www.redtrailers.com

and pretty inexpensive too. Love that they only come with 2" ball. 1 7/8 only exists to be a pain in the ass.

Still trying to get the hang of posting images on this site. Click the link below the photo, "Brenderup Rack Accessory...." and you will find a photo slide on next page (click back arrow to see the rest of the photos).

Anyone know if there is there a way to edit posts once they are posted?

(keeping this old thread going as I'm picking up a Thule this afternoon)

theOz, I really like your setup and plan on using it for the same purpose. A few questions if I may (if you see this...):

1. How has it held up thus far in terms of the shell having to bear some of the load?
2. Regarding the top of the support risers and the welded plate, I'm guessing that the heads of the bolts are what slide into the crossbar channel and act as a fastener/locking mechanism? What size/type worked best for you?
3. With the load up top, how does it affect the trailer's stability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom