New Thule Trailer (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The latest contact info for axle parts is:
Autoflex - Knott
Anita Monte
920-928-6875
Fox Lake, WI

If that doesn't work, call:
Ken Fleeman
Knott Brake out of Cleveland, OH
800-KNOTT-US, ext 1510
K-Fleeman@Knottbrake.com

Ken told me that they are a division of Knott out of Germany, and the people in Fox Lake, WI at Autoflex-Knott are also a division of Knott Axle out of Germany and the two of them sell very similar parts, but to different industries around the United States. Andras Borbely no longer works for Autoflex. Ken explained to me that when Thule wanted to bring their trailers to the US a number of years ago that he advised them that they needed to put all standard SAE axles/bearings/hubs/brakes on all of the trailers so that the parts were interchangeable at local trailer shops around the US. They did not take his advice, hence us all scrambling for parts and is likely the reason why you don't see many Thule trailers being sold around the US anymore. Ken also took the serial number off my axle that starts with 6A and is going to email me all of the specs of my axle, including which parts I need for any future maintenance. He did confirm that there was a maintenance free hub assembly available but that he thought that it needed a new axle spindle and may not work on my existing spindle. As the spindle is welded on, he didn't think it would work at all, but he told me to ask Anita about that. We also talked about the torsion suspension design and Ken said that there is a "soft ride" version of our axles that could be ordered as a replacement. He kind of laughed when he told me that if the axle ever went bad, that I should replace it with an American made SAE axle so that I don't have any future maintenance issues.

Hi, Can you post the name of this company in Minnesota, and also their website? I'm in Colorado and if they have an extension of their business here, I'd like to know about it. I'm looking for a way to obtain some side extensions without having someone fabricate these from scratch. I have the 1205. Thanks for your information, and if anyone else has an idea about side extensions for this trailer, I'd appreciate it.
Rick

I happen to be looking for a Thule Trailer here in Minnesota and came across an outfit that is based here in the Twin Cities that is making a trailer that takes the best parts of a Thule Trailer and added some upgades to make it better. They reinforced the top with a metal frame to give it more stability, they upgraded the weak floor with a sturdier version, the tires are standard size for easier replacement. They have also added some options that give it more flexibility. Such as an adjustable external frame that allows you to mount kayaks, bikes or canoes ontop of the trailers frame. I dropped in today and talked to one of the owners and he gave me the chance to look at one close up. It's an impressive unit and they are looking for feedback as they look at improving it for future versions. He talked about building one with higher sides to create more internal space, a possible tent application and more. I see from their website that they have a outlet in Colorado that is selling them as well. I intend to rent one in a few weeks and use it for a few days and test to see if it is as impressive as it looks.
Sorry, I may not have been clear in my last post - I'm looking for the company up in Minnesota and also their website - particularly interested in the Colorado branch as I live in Colorado - looking for side extensions for the 1205. Thanks, Rick

I called the Knott folks and ask them for a US contact for Thule. I have the OEM side extension pieces, which are made of aluminum, and although are very light duty, are very nice and take about 2 minutes to put on and take off. I primarily use them to keep the kids in the trailer when I'm giving hayrides!

I've been lurking and have been super grateful for the info people have posted about modding Thule trailers, etc.

I have a 1205 Thule and have a pleading request: Does anybody have a spare 13" OEM wheel from their 1205? I am in desperate need!

I've been working with a guy in Texas (Jay, not Chris) to have a wheel shipped from Europe, but just heard he got out of the business. A trailer company in NH is buying his stock and the owner, Andy, said they're going to be the U.S. dealer for Brenderup (which now makes the old Thule trailers). He said he'd be able to get accessories, etc.: mountaintoptrailers.com.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for the info, folks.

Love that this is the "New" Thule Trailer Thread still, years later :D Looks like a great little all purpose trailer. Too bad they don't sell something like THAT at Home Depot/Lowe's/etc.

Another lurking Thule Trailer owner. I modded mine about 3 years ago adding a front platform for bikes and misc camping gear. Inside the back of the trailer I have added a little "galley kitchen" which makes campsite setup really convenient. The trailer mod works great for family camping for our family of 5. We always bring lots of bicycles and surf toys/fishing gear with us, hence the rooftop box; with 3 kids we can use all the room inside that we can get.
ThuleMod.jpg

CPO - nice mods to the Thule. I like the double stack sides and the extension for the bikes.

Space76 - can't help you with the spare tire. I got my spare years ago when parts where avail in the U.S. good luck finding one.

Some recent pics from the family vacation to the Outer Banks in July. Thule worked great on the beach, just pop the lid and "tailgate" from it (gas struts are toast, so using that piece of wood to hold-up the lid). Gas strut replacements are $45.00 each (Benderup) plus shipping from Denmark. Also nice to be able to throw all the sandy beach chairs into... instead of in the car.
thule obx.jpg
thule obx1.jpg

Two more pics from the OBX.
thule obx3.jpg
thule obx2.jpg

I've been lurking and have been super grateful for the info people have posted about modding Thule trailers, etc.

I have a 1205 Thule and have a pleading request: Does anybody have a spare 13" OEM wheel from their 1205? I am in desperate need!

I've been working with a guy in Texas (Jay, not Chris) to have a wheel shipped from Europe, but just heard he got out of the business. A trailer company in NH is buying his stock and the owner, Andy, said they're going to be the U.S. dealer for Brenderup (which now makes the old Thule trailers). He said he'd be able to get accessories, etc.: mountaintoptrailers.com.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for the info, folks.

Nobody has posted here in a while but here goes....

I, too, have been in need of a spare 13" OEM wheel for my 1205. I found this thread and read it from beginning to end.

I contacted Andy at Mountain Top Trailers and he said he could order me a spare 13" OEM wheel for $185 + the cost of freight and then cost of FedEX ground to me. I am thinking I am looking at close to $400 to get a spare wheel :eek:

There has to be other options. Can I have someone put new hubs on so I can use standard american size rims?

I am having trouble getting tires for my existing rims too. I think I need to go with 155 instead of 145

I love this trailer but if I would have done my research better and maybe could have predicted the future....I would have never purchased it knowing I can't get parts easily :bang:

that enclosed Thule in Dallas looks pretty cool. Haven't seen one like that.

skinny hound - sorry about the parts issues, I have the same problem. My gas struts are shot, and to get new ones from Europe is $100+ shipping from Denmark. I did get a spare tire several years ago when they had parts in the US. Cost me $80+ minimal shipping... I think it came from TX.

skinnyhound- Best suggestion i can give you is to change the axle to SAE bolt pattern. When we built these, we had to use the european bolt pattern and used that for the wheel. Unfortunatley, our counterparts did not understand that the US market would want SAE wheels... lol

VA Runner- I am very happy to see your trailer still functioning. It is great to see it used for what we built it for, your recreation and enjoyment with your family. Thank you for all the photos, I've been following this thread for a number of years from when we first started building these in the US back in 2005-2006. Good show and good luck!

Axle manufacturer was Knott out of GErmany, but you could get hold of them in the US>

The enclosed alum trailers were built out of our facility in Maine and I still see them on the road and in dealerships today still :D

skinnyhound- Best suggestion i can give you is to change the axle to SAE bolt pattern. When we built these, we had to use the european bolt pattern and used that for the wheel. Unfortunatley, our counterparts did not understand that the US market would want SAE wheels... lol

I figured that was going to be the best solution. Thanks, greenleaf.

Here is my trailer. I had the cap painted to match my truck!
529697_10151245995361653_1545104053_n.jpg

306214_10151245995351653_1469405712_n.jpg

Skinny Hound - thanks for posting the pics. I like the painted lid, very cool. Mine is definitely starting to fade, even though I keep it covered during the winter, etc. Best of luck with the trailer.

greenleaf - I appreciate the comments. The trailer has been awesome, from family camping trips, Boy Scout summer camp, projects around the house, and taking to the beach. I have had so many people over the years ask me about the trailer. Thank you for making them and selling them in the U.S., at least for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom