New Shoes - Nokian Outpost nAT LT275/65r18 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@w4lks0ftly curious if you have any further updates from your Colorado winter?

Still can’t decide if I’m going dedicated winters or nAT. If I’m able to safely cruise down icy and snowpack passes powder chasing, I think just going with the nAT seems like the way. I would sell my slightly used Defender LTXs, save $150 dollars on second wheels, and time/few $ on slightly used winters.
i’ll chime in too as i’m in similar situation. first winter in CO. i’m on the nATs 255/75/17. i’m very happy on how their are performing on the packed snow roads, and powder, much better than the fairly new ko2s i swapped out. i wish i could compare them to a true snow tire just to see. right now i can’t get up my driveway with my front wheel drive mazda6 on new blizzaks, but i walk right up in the 470 with the nATs. And with the nATs, i know i have great off road AT function in the same tire once i get off the pavement. right now. LMK if you have any other questions or thoughts

Thanks for @4whom the bell tolz.

I think I made a good 100 series owner compromise.
I got 70% tread left over Nokian R3s from FB market $100 and the newer 18in tundra wheel.

And will buy new Nokian outpost nAT too lol.

Maybe keep the Defender LTXs for a long payment road trip with the family.

@w4lks0ftly curious if you have any further updates from your Colorado winter?

Still can’t decide if I’m going dedicated winters or nAT. If I’m able to safely cruise down icy and snowpack passes powder chasing, I think just going with the nAT seems like the way. I would sell my slightly used Defender LTXs, save $150 dollars on second wheels, and time/few $ on slightly used winters.
Updates from the frozen high country are....very good! I've only had one meaningful traction loss incident so far, and that was on heinous, snow-dusted ice down a steep hill by the intermediate school--the road runs into a T-intersection that is so notorious, they don't have a stop sign on it. Cross traffic has to stop for anyone coming down that hill! o_O I was trying to turn right and brake at the same time, and that wasn't in the cards. After reaching the bottom and getting a little tail happy into the other lane, however, the truck did respond nicely to counter steer and pick right back up with intended forward motion.

This probably highlights the performance of these tires in a nutshell: really impressive traction under acceleration with less control than dedicated snow tires under braking on icy or slushy surfaces. The nATs are way, way better than other all seasons in the same snow/ice conditions, and their tread pliability in the face of extreme cold (below -10ºF) is indistinguishable from the best snow tires.

Another fun example of deep snow performance: I was recently taking an AIARE Avalanche 1 course (shout out to Buena Vista Mountain Adventures), and on our second day, half of the participants ended up loading into my vehicle because the assorted collection of Subarus and mild SUVs with snow tires couldn't make it through the deep stuff up to our intended trail head. It was me and a four door Tacoma TRD with Blizzaks, filled to the brim with backcountry skiers and gear, plowing ahead. Center diff was locked the entire time. There was no obvious difference between the nATs and the Blizzaks in deep conditions, noting that both were fitted to very competent trucks.

When I compare the performance of my school's RAM 3500 plow truck with snow tires to the LX with nATs, the difference isn't meaningful. They're both big, heavy, solid-axle rear ends that will slide out if you get happy with the go-pedal. In fresh, cold snow, they both grip like crazy pushing forward.

While I would welcome the chance to try a set of dedicated snows on the LX at this point, it's purely out of idle curiosity. How much better might they be? I don't know, but I know these nATs remain highly satisfying and confidence-inspiring in some of the most unforgiving conditions.

Last edited:

I got 70% tread left over Nokian R3s from FB market $100 and the newer 18in tundra wheel.

Niiiiice! Sounds like a great compromise. It will be really fascinating to hear how the R3s and nATs compare on your rig!

Niiiiice! Sounds like a great compromise. It will be really fascinating to hear how the R3s and nATs compare on your rig!
HA. I think I would have came to my same conclusion after this update for sure. Appreciate it. Unfortunately I might not even get around putting on the winters this season unless another family trip is warranted otherwise I’ve been chasing powder in my boring volvo wagon with nokian winters and not enough of it because of the family 😂

But hopefully the Outposts motivate some good camping and adventure around the corner. Just gotta decide on what size now lol.

Thanks again for sparking this thread.

i was also very impressed with the nATs for roundrip CO to WI freeway miles. smooth quiet and balanced. no drifty feel. even at 80mph

I’m interested in hearing if you’ve had experience with your Nokian nAT’s off pavement on dirt, rock and gravel and how they performed. I’m thinking of the typical NFS & BLM gravel, washboard, dirt one finds in the west. I exploring alternatives to the BFG KO2 and Falken Wildpeak AT’s. The snow performance on these sounds like it surpasses these other tires, but I wonder how it compares off pavement.

I’m interested in hearing if you’ve had experience with your Nokian nAT’s off pavement on dirt, rock and gravel and how they performed. I’m thinking of the typical NFS & BLM gravel, washboard, dirt one finds in the west. I exploring alternatives to the BFG KO2 and Falken Wildpeak AT’s. The snow performance on these sounds like it surpasses these other tires, but I wonder how it compares off pavement.
No problems so far. I’ve driven a handful of fire roads and they are awesome. They ride better than the KO2’s as well.

I am following this thread..
Currently running 285/60/18 KO2's on my stock 2019 LC. LT tires running 40 PSI. I rarely load the rig up to need this load and dont love how the ride is on these tires, ie Potholes at highway speeds are terrible on these things..
Located in the PNW and live up a steep hill that gets icy and I ski a lot. The KO2's are pretty good in slush and ice that we get here but I read the the Outpost should be much better on the snow and ice. I'm 90% on the highway, a trip to Moab each year, dirt roads around here aren't too rugged but getting to fishing holes in Idaho there's a bit of shale however.
I sometimes tow a 5000 lb trailer full of sand and/or mulch..
About to pull the trigger on Outpost nAT 275/65/18 SL. Very slightly narrower and taller than stock should enhance the snow traction and will be good in mud. But like you, iH8MUD.. relying on the group here to make a good decision.. Should I go for LT?

Am I about to make a mistake or is this a great tire for me?

Thanks all for the advice!
I see you are located in the PNW. Did you end up getting the Nokian Outpost nAT tires? If so, curious about how you like them and particularly how they do in the rain on wet pavement.

I've had mine on for about 4.5 months, in the South. These tires ride great, good in the rain and wet roads so far. They do pick up some gravel (I have a gravel portion of my driveway) but not terrible. I have the P rated version and they are pretty quiet and comfortable on road as well.

DSCF0851.jpg

i drive alot of forest gravel washboard where i live so i keep psi around 28. the forest “road” trails i’ll so 20-24 depending on the conditions. smooths out so well with the nATs. as we’ve entered mud season between the snow i am also very impressed. i feel like a goat just crawling up and down.

This review of the Nokian Outpost nAT tires popped up on youtube last week. The reviewer has been running them on his 4x4 truck in the Sierras and had very good things to day about the tire. I originally came across this on Adventure Journal but here’s the direct link to youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom