New Seiken 44610-60792 brake booster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been down the road of failed brake boosters along with replacing hoses, pads ect.
What finally fix my brakes was eliminating engine vacuum leaks!
Valve cover , timing gear cover, oil pan, gasket & seals along with all vacuum hoses.
I think brake boosters failure is excellrated by excessive force being applied to brake pedal over and over trying to stop.
Currently have a remanufactured booster and very good brakes.🤞🍺

I just ordered one. Because its the only part of my 80 braking system that's still stock and my 80 brakes still suck.

@Wayne - if you hold the brakes and then turn off the engine, does the pedal try to rise on you? That's my experience and I believe it suggests that the valve to close off vacuum between the diaphragms isn't working.

Have you replaced the rubber brake lines? Braided stainless might help a little with the pedal feel.

Yes, I replace the brake lines in 2015.

Following along as I go as well. Deleted lspv and abs at the same time as well new master cylinder and booster. Brakes still suck. Next up is new calipers and softlines, pads rotors if needed.

I just ordered one. Because its the only part of my 80 braking system that's still stock and my 80 brakes still suck.

@Wayne - if you hold the brakes and then turn off the engine, does the pedal try to rise on you? That's my experience and I believe it suggests that the valve to close off vacuum between the diaphragms isn't working.
I think the brakes just kind of suck in general no matter what you do. I have just gotten used to the feeling of a giant sea sponge under my foot.

:lol:

There is only one OEM.

There are, though, plenty of OE aftermarket suppliers.

Semantics matter to some when it comes to this stuff.

Ok. Maybe just to me. :lol:

Carrying on the semantics (I love semantics in cases like this...)...

Toyota is in the business of selling automobiles, not making parts. Who was the SUPPLIER for the OEM on the brake booster? Was it Seiken? (And potentially others).

Thanks for the continued wisdom

Carrying on the semantics (I love semantics in cases like this...)...

Toyota is in the business of selling automobiles, not making parts. Who was the SUPPLIER for the OEM on the brake booster? Was it Seiken? (And potentially others).

Thanks for the continued wisdom

Toyota brake booster designs are licensed from Bosch Corporation — they hold the patent for vacuum actuated brake boosters.

Toyota utilizes Aisin/ADVICS for their manufactured version for OEM— for factory application.

I have seen only AISIN boosters in an OEM Toyota box in the past for service part support. I have a couple of times seen a BOSCH unit in a Toyota part box.

I suspect that was a douche nozzle schister buying a Bosch aftermarket unit then buying the OEM Toyota unit, swapping parts and returning to dealer and getting their money back. Toyota parts department employees aren’t the brightest and they probably never checked it. Then the part is returned to a Toyota depot and they don’t check the part. And just put it into their inventory to be sold again to another dealership.

HTH

Toyota brake booster designs are licensed from Bosch Corporation — they hold the patent for vacuum actuated brake boosters.

Toyota utilizes Aisin/ADVICS for their manufactured version for OEM— for factory application.

I have seen only AISIN boosters in an OEM Toyota box in the past for service part support. I have a couple of times seen a BOSCH unit in a Toyota part box.

I suspect that was a douche nozzle schister buying a Bosch aftermarket unit then buying the OEM Toyota unit, swapping parts and returning to dealer and getting their money back. Toyota parts department employees aren’t the brightest and they probably never checked it. Then the part is returned to a Toyota depot and they don’t check the part. And just put it into their inventory to be sold again to another dealership.

HTH

That's really solid information to know and should hopefully clear up some misconception here on the forum. I bought the Seikken unit after seeing it multiple times on Mud that it was the OE Supplier. It's been good to me and looked like a nice unit upon install. Still works almost a year later.

Sad to think that someone would go through that trouble just to save a few bucks (a few hundred bucks, but still...) but there's just an element of dishonesty there that I could never go about.

I don't know if this has been talked about but you should go about writing some sort of coffee table book with the other Toyota Land Cruiser masterminds. Complete with cool pictures, technical knowledge on these things, and fun facts. I'd buy. I'd love to know the story of why these build these things for 25 years and 300km service life. Or what goes into that to get a vehicle there. Or how long it takes to design these things - both mechanically and for safety. I could go on and on....

Best,
Jack

HTH
Your parts knowledge in this niche is pretty unparalleled. With that in mind, comparing what you know to what the average parts counter worker at a Toyota dealership should know is apples and oranges. Many are young and inexperienced, some are older and just burned out...all of them are treated pretty poorly, grossly underpaid, and work in an environment that is mostly a revolving door.

HTH

My booster was replaced by a dealer.. circa 2013. In my documentation it is listed as replaced with an OEM unit with part number, but it is in fact a Bosch unit. :(

I go to the dealer for bearings. Sometimes I get Koyo in a Toyota box and sometimes I get Timken in a Toyota box. Both brands seem good to me... :meh:

OEM parts can be supplied by more than one manufacturer therefore Koyo and Tiimken. Each meet or exceed the OEM (Toyota) specifications and approved by Toyota for an application. An "OE" part is different from an "OEM" part in that it may meet the specifications but not approved.

I bought one and it has been functioning perfectly since day 1. I don’t care that it’s not OEM—the reman part I had failed, and a true OEM part cost nearly $800. This was a good middle ground.

No OEM is about $450.

Cheers

Not saying that you're wrong, but I would like to see that.
80 Series OEM Brake Booster Assembly

6620CA59-E0CC-4C75-A2A6-F106667A4583.jpeg

Cheers

I've only seen rebuilt OE brake boosters for $420-ish. Brake Booster, 93-98 FZJ80
If that is for a new OE part, it's a good price. Wish we could see the actual site...

Last edited:
I am just seeing this thread...

Seiken is NOT OEM for Toyota.

They are a Japanese aftermarket part distributor.

Not sure how many ways I can say this: Seiken is NOT OEM for the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Onur, I respect your parts knowledge but I will have to disagree with you on this. There are threads where people posted pics of an OEM unit and others have posted a Seiken to compare and they are the same. Additionally, I had some OEM units a 1.5-2 years ago and did a side by side of the two and they were the same including the Bosch sticker.

Cruiseryard claims it’s the same as the OEM unit. If it truly isn’t... misleading claim.

First, thanks for purchasing the Seiken, I appreciate your business. Second, no I am not misleading, see above.

Installed my Seiken yesterday along with Aisin MC. Significantly better braking! View attachment 2334080

Thank you, yes you will be very happy. Japanese quality unsurpassed. I have sold countless of these over the roughly 3 years I have carried them, people really like them and they work very well.

To all who read both now and in the future while searching for what booster to buy/what booster is best, whether you buy from me or elsewhere, keep this in mind....I have noticed some other places both large and small that sell OE (not OEM) boosters but do not come out and say what brand they are. These may be OE but are brand unknown. You can tell when the description has words like"direct replacement", "remanufactured", "rebuilt", "core charge" - if you see these, close the tab and move on. And you will not find a new OEM unit in a Toyota box for $250 or less, whether it be in the US or other side of the world. As I write this, partsouq sells a new Toyota unit for $420US + shipping for comparison.

Well, I've installed the Seiken brake booster and it almost cured the spongy/soft brake issue. The pedal will pump up hard now and the brakes work well, however, I guess I'm expecting aggressive and strong braking and I'm not getting that. I'll say my brake issue is 90% improved. In the past five years I've installed Toyota brake hoses and rebuilt calipers on all four corners, with Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I'm thinking this should throw you into the windshield with little effort and that isn't the case. I'm done, I accept them as they are.

After the new BB install, I noticed my brakes are a bit spongier. Only started to happen when it got hot around here (ambient temps 105-110F). I'm thinking a change to SS brake hoses may be in order...

Well, I've installed the Seiken brake booster and it almost cured the spongy/soft brake issue. The pedal will pump up hard now and the brakes work well, however, I guess I'm expecting aggressive and strong braking and I'm not getting that. I'll say my brake issue is 90% improved. In the past five years I've installed Toyota brake hoses and rebuilt calipers on all four corners, with Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I'm thinking this should throw you into the windshield with little effort and that isn't the case. I'm done, I accept them as they are.

Are you adjusting the brake booster push rod length when you install the boosters? If not that can influence how the pedal feels and the brakes operate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom