New Radiator on the way 16400-66040, what else should be done with it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a leak in mine, I have her in the shop for some minor crap and I'm going to have them pop it in. What else do I need to pick up for them or tell them to do "while they are in there"?

Thanks fellas!

Any cooling parts that are old could be done while it’s drained & disconnected, as it’s an opportune time, but you can always do it yourself later. The system is only as reliable as its weakest link. Radiator alone doesn’t “require” anything during the swap, but I’d say at least adding foam to seal the gaps around the supports/etc is a good idea when it’s out.

But, as needed “while you’re in there” - hoses, thermostat, cap, check water pump, check fan clutch, belts, heater control valve, etc. OEM is best.

Have your pesky heater hose & water bypass (under throttle body) been replaced?

Last edited:
Any cooling parts that are old could be done while it’s drained & disconnected, as it’s an opportune time, but you can always do it yourself later. The system is only as reliable as its weakest link. Radiator alone doesn’t “require” anything during the swap, but I’d say at least adding foam to seal the gaps around the supports/etc is a good idea when it’s out.

But, as needed “while you’re in there” - hoses, thermostat, cap, check water pump, check fan clutch, belts, heater control valve, etc. OEM is best.

Have your pesky heater hose & water bypass (under throttle body) been replaced?

Thank you sincerely Spenser, I'll give that list to the shop. I do have a new OEM thermostat randomly sitting here in my warehouse, you're saying go ahead put it in while they're at it?

My PHH has been rerouted/closed with I believe the wits end kit, I honestly can't ever remember using the heat more than a handful of times on my old one in 18 years.

If your current tstat is OEM and not old, no worries, but it’s a real easy thing to do while the system is drained. Do you have a new gasket for it as well?

Definitely don’t have to do all those things, just good items to keep in mind/check while doing this. If your engine is currently cooling properly, you likely don’t need to stress anything. However I’d at least want to inspect easy/visible things like hoses/fan belt and replace as necessary. With certain things like hoses, if they’re old enough, they should be replaced regardless.

Are you maybe referring to the rear heater bypass kit? If so, PHH is not part of that - it’s the little hose tucked against the engine through the driver wheel well. Often the original is overlooked long enough to end up failing

Last edited:
I would do the three main hoses unless they are new, maybe Tatar depending on age. How old is water pump?

Yes, do the hoses & thermostat - these are simple and easy while it's all drained and 2/6 hose clamp connections are already disconnected at the radiator. Ask the shop to keep the set they pull off, and after inspection as known good, put them in the rear storage by the jack, just in case.

I always keep a fresh set of hoses, several feet of heater hose, and a full set of belts back there,...

Thanks fellas I really appreciate the replies!

Here is my list so far:

Flush Before removing
New Thermostat
Inspect fan belt/hoses/alternator whatever visible
Check Lower Brackets for Rust
New Rubber Cushions/isolators
New Hoses
New Hose Clamps

Anyone have anything to add or change??

Radiator is already on the way so I need to pick up the hoses, clamps and cushions ASAP.....anyone have that diagram by any chance where I can look up the part numbers?

Also @SpenserAK , funny all these years whenever someone referred to "PHH" I though they meant the rear heater. Can you point me in the direction of that hose and the water bypass? What I need to pick up?

Thank you guys I appreciate all the hand holding, just want to get her all buttoned up and ready for winter!

Big radiator hoses

Little coolant hoses
^ water bypass is in there, includes clamps

PHH hose w/ clamps

His diagrams & explanations on the product pages may also be helpful

Not sure on clamps for the big hoses, but there’s some good info in this thread:

Again none of this is “necessary“ for just replacing a radiator, but if interested in making sure your cooling system as a whole is up to par (considering the youngest US 80 is approaching 26 years old), I would say it’s worth doing if parts are old or especially original. Depends what has/hasn’t already been done...

Re: visual inspections, I would take a look at your heater control valve now to see if it needs replacing. Usually they start to look like this (not my picture)

CCC9694F-F1C3-4D00-8189-64605C722AE4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom