New Rad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well I just ordered a New Rad for my cruiser $435CDN could of recored it for $350.. But I said give me new.. so if anyone wants or needs a crusty rad for something (leaks very little from the top) make me an offer and its yours..

Still waiting for my new rad.. he said he had to get it from the states and sure enough this one has the rad hose on the opposite side.. I need them on the same side. so he says he is going to use the core out of it and put the tubs from mine on it.. what a battle to get a new rad..

I went to the local Rad shop and he has been looking .. The orignal he ordered looked like it was out of a BJ60.. and then he told me he was getting it from the states..

I think the problem was he orderd one for a BJ42 not an 83 BJ42, you lucky bastard with the power steering pump causing the hose to go to the other side. :D

When I renovated my 1981 BJ42 I put "new" in a lot of places. The rad was one of them. I was told by Toyota at that time the 1981/82 BJ42 rad was no longer available (manual steering so tube on the right on the top). I ordered the power steering one, and changed out the thermostat housing so it would work. Ready for PS any time now:D

Reason for the post...if your BJ42 is a 1983 with PS, how did you manage to get a 1981 or 82 rad?

gb

Well the guy wrecked the new rad trying to recore it.. So a new core is coming in today and I should have it by noon tomorrow.. where should I have got this rad in canada. I tried 4wheel auto but they wanted me to send my old one in. Not happening because by the time they ship a new rad out and then I ship the old one it would of been $600 probally. So since I am cheap.. I WAIT.. and I hate waiting!!!

crushers said:
i would have bought new from the dealer, $450 with my discount...

Ya I would have to, but I don't get a discount.. :(

crushers said:
youch!!
i am sure Rob or Steve could have treated you better than that

Ya well. The guy told me that it will be cheap somewhere around $350.. So since I am of Dutch decent and cheap.. I wait!! but I have called them everyday since last wednesday because that is when it was suppose to be done.. Think they are starting to hate me yet? haha

Try an industrial rad shop. They do alot more diesel stuff and usually alot of custom work. Sounds like you went to a repair by replacement joint. I had mine recored to a 4core couple months back for $350 can ,done at a place where all the logging trucks and heavy stuff goes. I really try to avoid all the "auto" type places. I like to think its a rig i guess.

silvercrusher said:
Try an industrial rad shop. They do alot more diesel stuff and usually alot of custom work. Sounds like you went to a repair by replacement joint. I had mine recored to a 4core couple months back for $350 can ,done at a place where all the logging trucks and heavy stuff goes. I really try to avoid all the "auto" type places. I like to think its a rig i guess.

Ok thanks.. but I 'll wait this one out. I guess I'll have to start thinking that my BJ42 is more like a tractor than a vehicle..

got my rad back from the shop.. looks good.. he called it a 3 core maxi core.. He didn't really explain himself to well... but it came to $390+ Tax so not too bad I guess.. Nice to have it back on the road..

congrates...
i would question him about the difference between a 3 core and a 3 core "max"..
might be some good info there.
cheers

I think that is slang for a larger core. So it is still 3 pass but it has an extra row of tubes or the tubes are larger than normal. Did you have a mech temp gauge before the rad was changed? If so tell us how much cooler you run. If at all.
Cheers

Might also be the design of to top of the core. Newer ones can have some sort of baffle/trickle set-up, forcing the incoming water to use the entire rad, instead of dropping right away.

gb

that price isn't that bad,
I could hve done better though

maybe next time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom