new query, front speaker install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've done a lot of research and read a lot of threads but I have yet to find the answer I'm lookin for. What is deepest speaker that anyone has installed in the front doors of your 80? The pioneers are 1 11/16s and the infinity reference are 1 15/16s. The ones I want are 2 5/16s. So I'm wondering if they will fit. I have measured but it's impossible to be absolutely sure until I actually attempt the install. I don't want to buy a set of speakers and then have to return them.

When I get home I will check the box for the depth of my Eclipse Speakers because I would say they are the max depth since it seems like my window just hits them when I lower it all the way.

I do wish I would have gone with larger diameter speakers; 6" instead of 5.25" in front and 5.25" instead of 4"in back.

build a wood spacer or somethin if the door is not deep enough

Are they mounted outside the door panel or under it like stock. There is only 1.5 inches of clearance when mounted under the panel. I have no problem mounting them outside with a spacer.

build a wood spacer or somethin if the door is not deep enough

I have no problem with that but I want to know what is the deepest that someone has installed without issue

im going to install 2 sets of the polk audio dxi650's this weekend. both crutchfield and bestbuy have them priced at buy one, get the second set half off.

the dxi650's have the same dimensions as the speakers you want to install 2-15/16" for bottom mount installation, or 2" for top mount per the site: Polk Audio dxi650

i'm installing these per this installation thread: new door speakers found

the polks come with a spacer ring which is necessary to achieve the 2" mounting depth. hope that helps you out some. :cheers:

I also went with the Polk DB. I found a good write up on and knew they would fit with minimal trimming.

This was a very troublesome area for me and I have to think I remember mine actually hitting and they were under 2" deep...closer to your 1-11/16". The door on my 95' has a small recessed area at the speaker...I took a Dremel and cut slits in this metal back to the point where it was back the normal flat area...then I took a pair of pliers and bent four tabs back out that lined up with the speak mounting holes. I also had to trim back the tabs a bit as I used the 6" speakers instead of the smaller stock size. Once the metal is trimmed it is very flimsy, but when you mount the speaker to the four tabs it becomes very strong again and won't give you any problems. You can either use self-tapping screws (easier) or the metal clips that area threaded (difficult to hold in place). I was still able to fit the door panel over the speakers, however I had to trim the MDF material of the door (the wood like substrate) so that it would go around the speaker and still allow the door panel plastic clips to go into place. The speakers also fit behind the stock covers which I wanted to retain. You can't come out too far from the door panel as the speakers will hit the side of the dash...the speakers aren't actually in the best place and the dash actually blocks them somewhat (not too well thought out as far as placement). I thought the back speakers would be a breeze, but they were difficult as well...I didn't think about them being smaller (my mistake) and ran the 6" speakers there as well...I had to mount them on top of the door panel with aftermarket speaker covers (hated that) but was tired of screwing around with everything at this point. I don't notice it anymore and I have some pretty basic all black speaker covers.

Far better than the factory speakers. Had one issue hooking everything up...had to disable the factory amp which was messing everything up...powering only my aftermarket Pioneer speakers and am happy with everything except radio reception on my double din Pyle AM/FM/CD/DVD player...it just doesn't receive signals for crap....everything else is OK...DVD monitor is adequate...it has hookup for rear view camera, bluetooth, etc...but I would spend more money next time and go up to a better brand.

Sorry I didn't have better details, I know what you're up against and the information you need is hard to find sometimes. Good luck!!

Are they mounted outside the door panel or under it like stock. There is only 1.5 inches of clearance when mounted under the panel. I have no problem mounting them outside with a spacer.

Yeah, mine were mounted on the outside of the door panel by just putting some plastic spacers to make up the gap from the sheet metal to the door panel.

04-Speaker_Mounting_3.JPG

i just did this

in the past month.

I put the Pioneer TS-G1643R up front, even those required a thin spacer (1/8 iirc?)
In the rear doors, i used the polk DB651S, had to enlarge the hole quite a bit, no spacer needed though.

sounds 1000x better than the factory junk.

Faron

got the fronts installed over the weekend. with some craftiness, i was able to get them installed without removing the door panels.

slight modifications to the trim rings:
-enlarged the 4 trim ring mounting holes to counter-sink to counter-sink the factory bolts.
-there are 4 tabs with holes that the speaker uses to mount to the trim ring. on the back side of those, i removed half of the little tab to allow the trim ring to sit flush into the speaker area.

popped the lower part of the door panel into place and then mounted the new speaker through the panel into the trim ring on the other side. you will need to do your best to line the speaker up with the trim ring mounting holes. i used a very small drill bit to locate the holes before i screwed the speakers into their final position.

they sound great over the stockers running off of my alpine 9835. they should sound amazing when i get around to installing my 4ch amplifier.

forgive my weak blackberry pic.
dxi650fl.jpg

Looks good! I ordered the Infinity Kappa 63.9 three ways. They have a top mount depth of 2-5/16s, should be here Thursday. I'll update with possible pics if I remember.

I finished my install and boy is it close! My speakers are just shy of the dash panel, as you can see there is absolutely no space for the covers so I am just going to attach some speaker fabric from some old home speakers. These speakers have a legitimate 2.5 inches of mount depth to account for so I had to add .75 worth of spacers as well as .25 worth of weather stripping and a supplied mounting bracket to clear the window track. These speakers are also a true 6.75in. as opposed to a 6.5in. I had to drill 4 holes in the steel inner door panel to mount the bracket but was able to use existing holes in the outer door panel. :banana: job. They sound amazing compared to the factory!! Only problem, now I want more! Never ends does it
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom