New owner with headlight issue? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I just picked up this 2002 LC last week and have really enjoyed it so far. Despite the higher miles (230k) it runs extremely well and is super comfortable...no doubt because of it's extensive maintenance history. This thing is 100 percent stock...at least for now.

One issue that has me on the hunt is why it keeps burning out light bulbs. It arrived in my possession with two burnt out low beams, which at the time I thought was a bit odd, until I was reading the previous repair work receipts and saw that some "owner supplied bulbs" were installed. I replaced those burnt out low quality bulbs with some Sylvania's and everything functioned properly again.

Two days later on my way home, I lost the driver's side low beam, then both high beams. WTH?

I got home and checked the fuses which were fine, popped in a spare low beam and it's functional again. If it is a short, it must be downstream of the fuses then, but the connectors don't seem overheated and the wiring that I can see all looks fine.

So my question is...where do I begin? Is there a secret Toyota connector somewhere that's the likely cause of this nuisance? Is this a common issue with these 100 series?

Looking forward to learning all about these great rigs!

Richie in MT

IMG_20231108_121212024_HDR.jpg

First and foremost: congrats on the new ride! As for the headlights: I would suggest either taking it to an independent who is solid on electronics, or a well known dealer. Usually this is some form of harness/capacitor issue. Usually with spliced wiring of some sort. Because yours is stock I would just get it checked, this is an unusual issue for an LC, so pay once cry once and never look back. My 2 cents.

First and foremost: congrats on the new ride! As for the headlights: I would suggest either taking it to an independent who is solid on electronics, or a well known dealer. Usually this is some form of harness/capacitor issue. Usually with spliced wiring of some sort. Because yours is stock I would just get it checked, this is an unusual issue for an LC, so pay once cry once and never look back. My 2 cents.
Hey thanks! It does have the benefit of being all stock at the moment so at least it has that going for it.
I read last night that the alternator was replaced last year and since then the PO hadn't driven it much. Could the alt be overcharging and popping the bulbs? Wouldn't the fuse blow first though?

Glad to hear this isn't common and hopefully it's easily resolved.

Check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. It can go as high as 14.5 V. Is there any water intrusion? do you have the rubber gasket that goes over the base of the bulb and over the opening in the rear of the headlight housing?
IF there is a short in the wire, the fuse should blow and not the bulb.

Perhaps asking seller, if issue began after some event:
Like accident, headlight or some other part replacement.
Are headlights the factory installed ones.
Any aftermarket wring, toys, parts, etc. installed or removed under sellers watch.

Any aftermarket parts, wires, splices, repairs always need closer inspection.

Pictures of back of headlights, wires coming of them and the lid & inside of fuse box may be reveling.

Next, work from bulbs back:
How many volts and AMP at plug to bulbs.
Inspect & test headlight rely (in fuse box) and it's socket.

Hello, I just picked up this 2002 LC last week and have really enjoyed it so far. Despite the higher miles (230k) it runs extremely well and is super comfortable...no doubt because of it's extensive maintenance history. This thing is 100 percent stock...at least for now.

One issue that has me on the hunt is why it keeps burning out light bulbs. It arrived in my possession with two burnt out low beams, which at the time I thought was a bit odd, until I was reading the previous repair work receipts and saw that some "owner supplied bulbs" were installed. I replaced those burnt out low quality bulbs with some Sylvania's and everything functioned properly again.

Two days later on my way home, I lost the driver's side low beam, then both high beams. WTH?

I got home and checked the fuses which were fine, popped in a spare low beam and it's functional again. If it is a short, it must be downstream of the fuses then, but the connectors don't seem overheated and the wiring that I can see all looks fine.

So my question is...where do I begin? Is there a secret Toyota connector somewhere that's the likely cause of this nuisance? Is this a common issue with these 100 series?

Looking forward to learning all about these great rigs!

Richie in MT

View attachment 3478269
Hello 02 brother. Welcome. Voltage meter? See if you can detect surges. Any other electrical malfunctions?
I replaced my halogen with LED because the lighting visibility at night was awful. Added lighting behind the lower grill for more D2 lighting.

Hello 02 brother. Welcome. Voltage meter? See if you can detect surges. Any other electrical malfunctions?
I replaced my halogen with LED because the lighting visibility at night was awful. Added lighting behind the lower grill for more D2 lighting.
Also, how old is the battery? Before iyr alternator gets cooked, see the quality of the battery and main ground wire. There should be at least 2 grounds, one to the body and one to the engine.

check you alternator voltage when running (with higher RPM). possible faulty regulator to give you high voltage. Also check if you running light resistor is shorted.

Check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. It can go as high as 14.5 V. Is there any water intrusion? do you have the rubber gasket that goes over the base of the bulb and over the opening in the rear of the headlight housing?
IF there is a short in the wire, the fuse should blow and not the bulb.
I'll throw the DMM on the battery tomorrow and see what we're looking at. No water intrusion in either of the headlight assemblies but no boot covering the bulbs either. They seem to twist in tight with their respective o-rings though.
Good call on the short...that's what a fuse is for!

Thanks! No other electrical problems...even the 21 year old Nav screen still functions.

Also, how old is the battery? Before iyr alternator gets cooked, see the quality of the battery and main ground wire. There should be at least 2 grounds, one to the body and one to the engine.
Battery is a Toyota battery that is only 1 year old. It looks like in it's past the engine bay grounds were scuffed and cleaned but I'll dig further as soon as I have a little time...hopefully tomorrow!

check you alternator voltage when running (with higher RPM). possible faulty regulator to give you high voltage. Also check if you running light resistor is shorted.
The lights seemed really bright for what they are...maybe the alt is putting out too many volts. Are the regulators externally replaceable or is it all internal to the alternator? My DRL's work fine...what's this resistor you speak of?

The lights seemed really bright for what they are...maybe the alt is putting out too many volts. Are the regulators externally replaceable or is it all internal to the alternator? My DRL's work fine...what's this resistor you speak of?
check here

you can disconnect this resistor to disable DRL temporary to see if your bulbs still easily blow up. but this one only related to High beam bulbs.

check alternator first. if it has gone bad you will have more potential issues.

I've seen one bad alternator, that was over-charging. It kept, firing batteries and doing so fast in just short drives. Nothing else was damaged, on that one.

IIRC: The TSB on DRL was only 98-05 LX.

Last edited:
check here

you can disconnect this resistor to disable DRL temporary to see if your bulbs still easily blow up. but this one only related to High beam bulbs.

check alternator first. if it has gone bad you will have more potential issues.
Thanks for that, I'll see if that makes any difference.
I've boiled a battery before due to a malfunctioning voltage regulator but this doesn't seem like the case. I'll dig in tomorrow and post up my findings.

Thanks all!

You must have a rubber gasket to prevent moisture and dirt getting in. The O ring is to keep the bulb snug to the housing.

Both sets of bulbs blew again but I think I'm getting somewhere with this...maybe. It seems like something could be malfunctioning inside my stalk as the bulbs seem to blow when I switch from lows to highs. If I don't switch them, they seem to be fine.
Just to eliminate the alternator being the issue, I measured the battery voltage with the engine running and have a steady 14.7v.
IMG_20231121_093028126.jpg

I pulled a bulb connector and measured that voltage too...seems fine.
IMG_20231121_093130123.jpg

I went ahead and checked the relays and cleaned them with electrical cleaner but they seemed fine so at this point I suppose I should dig into the stalk.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom