New Owner 1977 SA FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just received my 1977 FJ40 (originally from Ecuador) that I won on BAT a day or so ago. First time FJ40 owner and bought it understanding there would like be some issues so overall as expected so far. My classic experience is with a 1966 Ford F250 4x4 that I've done quite a bit of work on but I've always been a FJ40 admirer from afar. Happy to join the club and get on with the learning and making it my own.

Showed up about as expected from the pics/descriptions. Body not bad, frame solid. Engine rebuild in 2018 totally unknown, could have just been paint. Everything generally works, wiring relatively terrible from an OCD perspective but I enjoy that part of it. Already pulled out a poorly executed security system and put it back to original. Today was spend running down a few bad grounds to get lights all in order and wrapping harness and some other wires with mesh wrap (see pic). Not totally happy with wiring organization yet but getting there. Pile of wires pic was the security system!! Looking forward to many conversations and advice here. Running down a few things here and there and have already spent many hours searching old and current threads. Big plans would include potential disc brake upgrade on all 4 wheels (at least the front, 77 SA has all drum!), possible roll cage like the OEM but will be a little bit of a challenge with the long bench seats, not a lot of room. I'm in Nascar country here so plenty of fabricators/welders to help if I head that direction. What a wealth of knowledge on here. Looking forward to the journey.

Brad

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg
IMG_4713.jpg

Welcome aboard! Lots of enthusiasm with a new project. You look like you've got some good material to start. Now it is just a matter of deciding what is next and knocking things down one at a time.

Looks nice. I can see that you don't have a vacuum pump on your alternator (which I think even petrol engines should have right?). This would improve your drum brakes.

I have a similar pile of removed wires from my 77 HJ.

20230226_153012.jpg

Welcome. Nice looking 40! Based on your opening comments and the "SA" in the thread title, I am curious if you were familiar with the South American imports and their reputation prior to your purchase? What made you go with a SA truck over a domestic truck?

"Just received my 1977 FJ40 (originally from Ecuador) that I won on BAT a day or so ago. First time FJ40 owner and bought it understanding there would like be some issues so overall as expected so far."

The wiring harness cleanup looks fantastic. Hope you continue to share your progress and adventure here on the forum!

Vacuum pump? On gas engines, typically you get vacuum from the intake manifold.

Vacuum pump? On gas engines, typically you get vacuum from the intake manifold.
Ah really? I thought they all had the pump - my bad. Do they not have the vacuum reservoir either then?

Nice truck. Sounds like you are realistic about what you bought. I would be curious about the amount of Bondo on the body, maybe better left unknown since it does look good.
Welcome to Mud!

Ah really? I thought they all had the pump - my bad. Do they not have the vacuum reservoir either then?

On naturally aspirated engine air passes thru the venturi in the carb which creates vacuum, which I'm sure your familiar with. When the engine is running it always creates vacuum. A line goes from the intake manifold to the power brake booster, which is like a canister that has a large diaphragm in it to assist in a easier pedal to push. You can see it in one of the OPs pic, it's the round fixture behind the master cyldr.

Yes indeed. The diesel engines create much less vacuum at the manifold so use a pump on the alternator.
This then charges up a vacuum tank under the floor which in turn feeds the servo. This way you have plenty of vacuum even at low revs and after a few pumps of the pedal.

I thought that all 40s had this, but apparently not (this explains the extreme rarity of used vacuum reservoirs).

In my case, I've actually fitted an electrical VW vacuum pump and a reservoir from an Isuzu Trooper. Now I have permanent vacuum as soon as the key is switched on.

The OP probably doesn't need this info, but worth checking your servo for leaks, and your non return valve on the servo too.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I definitely have done plenty of reading on the SA trucks and I had some concerns but also had my eyes relatively wide open. It has some bondo around areas that are most prone to rust like the rear door sill (not sure if I'm saying that right but the bottom frame around the ambulance doors. Seems that most of the work is pretty good quality (as far as bondo goes) and the other general work is ok but there are definitely issues. I guess my logic for what its worth is I didn't want to have to do much in the way of body work (some day but I'm not there yet with metal work/welding/etc) and I do all of this myself. I'm pretty good around electrical and engines/mechanical so that's my focus. Based on what I wanted to spend this seemed like a good option for now. Already used the forum here to see about tightening up sloppy steering (just play in the wheel, not a death wobble). Actually drives pretty well up to 60-65 at this point. Brakes are a bit of a mess in that they're pulling hard left on braking, likely ineffective/not working right side front and/or rear. I think the first thing I'll take on is a disc brake upgrade. I'll check out the numerous threads here but hoping some of the kits will fit this fella. Has 16" welded wheels so I believe they'll fit from the early reading I've done but we'll see. Maybe start with the front and then move to the rears. Look forward to many more great advice/conversations/updates on what I work on next.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I definitely have done plenty of reading on the SA trucks and I had some concerns but also had my eyes relatively wide open. It has some bondo around areas that are most prone to rust like the rear door sill (not sure if I'm saying that right but the bottom frame around the ambulance doors. Seems that most of the work is pretty good quality (as far as bondo goes) and the other general work is ok but there are definitely issues. I guess my logic for what its worth is I didn't want to have to do much in the way of body work (some day but I'm not there yet with metal work/welding/etc) and I do all of this myself. I'm pretty good around electrical and engines/mechanical so that's my focus. Based on what I wanted to spend this seemed like a good option for now. Already used the forum here to see about tightening up sloppy steering (just play in the wheel, not a death wobble). Actually drives pretty well up to 60-65 at this point. Brakes are a bit of a mess in that they're pulling hard left on braking, likely ineffective/not working right side front and/or rear. I think the first thing I'll take on is a disc brake upgrade. I'll check out the numerous threads here but hoping some of the kits will fit this fella. Has 16" welded wheels so I believe they'll fit from the early reading I've done but we'll see. Maybe start with the front and then move to the rears. Look forward to many more great advice/conversations/updates on what I work on next.
Sounds like you're on it. I have drums all round and they're actually pretty good now. They do need adjusting, but it's not a massive job to get them set up. Disks will be better for sure but can take a bit of work.

Sounds like you're on it. I have drums all round and they're actually pretty good now. They do need adjusting, but it's not a massive job to get them set up. Disks will be better for sure but can take a bit of work.
I'll check each of them for sure and see if some adjusting makes sense versus replacement of current components. My brake job on my 66 ford f250 entailed replacing everything which in the end would get me front discs at a minimum cost wise. Haven't taken a look yet. "excited" to see what's in there!!

I'll check each of them for sure and see if some adjusting makes sense versus replacement of current components. My brake job on my 66 ford f250 entailed replacing everything which in the end would get me front discs at a minimum cost wise. Haven't taken a look yet. "excited" to see what's in there!!
The adjusters can get gummed up, but they will back off eventually so you can remove the drum.
Maybe you have a sticky or a leaky cylinder on one side. Cheap to fix either way.
Mine were pulling to one side when I first got it but have bedded in now after a bit of use.
Don't forget to check that your servo is actually working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom