New Mexico Off-Highway Access Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

has everyone taken the time to click on the red box above?! i filled it out in 1-2 minutes. this is Moab we are talking about here. we do a lot of trails outside Moab too that are in the Rafael Swell area talked about closing! please do it :Arnold voice: "Do it now!":D

has everyone taken the time to click on the red box above?! i filled it out in 1-2 minutes. this is Moab we are talking about here. we do a lot of trails outside Moab too that are in the Rafael Swell area talked about closing! please do it :Arnold voice: "Do it now!":D

I clicked on the box and it helped walk me through sending an e-mail to my representative (Martin Heinrich). I got a canned e-mail back from his office that said they appreciated my input, but also said that our buddy Martin is a co-sponsor of the bill introduced by some rep from New York.

I was not pleased to see that Heinrich supports this bill. I'm not clear exactly what lands would be closed, but when I see "Moab" to be closed, I get concerned.

I agree with Shawn - click on the box and send an e-mail today!

I'm not clear exactly what lands would be closed, but when I see "Moab" to be closed, I get concerned.

It's only 9 million acres Evan. That's barely 20% of the size of the state of New York. I'll bet neither of those bloody liberal Democrats have ever been to Utah, much less to the areas they're going to close to those of us that like to visit the area.

-Mike-

Is there not a map somewhere? I voted yesterday, but having a map would definitely enhance opposition I think. It mentions 15 different locations around Moab consisting of about 500 square miles, plus no telling how many more trails are cut off by cutting off the access to them. Here's a list:

(1) Arches Adjacent (approximately 12,000 acres).
(2) Beaver Creek (approximately 41,000 acres).
(3) Behind the Rocks and Hunters Canyon (approximately 22,000 acres).
(4) Big Triangle (approximately 20,000 acres).
(5) Coyote Wash (approximately 28,000 acres).
(6) Dome Plateau-Professor Valley (approximately 35,000 acres).
(7) Fisher Towers (approximately 18,000 acres).
(8) Goldbar Canyon (approximately 9,000 acres).
(9) Granite Creek (approximately 5,000 acres).
(10) Mary Jane Canyon (approximately 25,000 acres).
(11) Mill Creek (approximately 14,000 acres).
(12) Porcupine Rim and Morning Glory (approximately 20,000 acres).
(13) Renegade Point (approximately 6,600 acres).
(14) Westwater Canyon (approximately 37,000 acres).
(15) Yellow Bird (approximately 4,200 acres).

Last edited:
Not that we should be complacent. Historically on wilderness issues, unless the home state representatives are on board it dies during the full vote. Very seldom will members of Congress pass wilderness over a reluctant State contingent. Someplace I have a nice summary of wilderness proposals in Utah written by a wilderness supporter. I need to double check the history. It's been a very hot issue for about 20 years.

this area had come up a few years ago. it probably died in committee and someone (NY rep) tried to bring it back.:mad: we'll probably have to keep fighting it until it gets to a vote and gets killed by a large margin. if it's a close margin, they'll modify it and come back immediately w/ a new one. i'm glad the utah reps aren't supporting it. if not for those areas, i wouldn't go to Utah at all.

this area had come up a few years ago.

The bill has been introduced by Democrats every year for the past 15 years. The Democrats now control the Executive branch, the House, and the Senate. This bill could easily pass this year even if every Republican voted against it and there is no chance for a POTUS veto.

"a bill Hinchey (D-NY) has introduced for the past 15 years to preserve 9.4 million acres of Utah's spectacular red rock country as wilderness. The subcommittee, led by Chairman Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ), will hold its hearing on October 1."

Not that we should be complacent.

"Hinchey (D-NY) and Durbin (D-IL) reintroduced the bipartisan America's Red Rock Wilderness Act in April 2009. The bill now has 136 cosponsors in the House and 21 in the Senate."

Note that these numbers are co-sponsors, not supporters. The Democratic leadership can triple those numbers when it comes time to vote, plus they have a majority on the committee and they hold the chair.

"The measure is endorsed by the Utah Wilderness Coalition, including the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, The Sierra Club, Earthjustice, Natural Resources Defense Council, The Wilderness Society, and over 200 member organizations of the Utah Wilderness Coalition, representing millions of Utahans and Americans alike."

Proponents like our buddies at The Sierra Club will not be complacent... you can bet on that.

-Mike-

Last edited:
it took about 3 weeks but I finally got a response from ben ray lujan that (surprise) he is a cosponsor as well. :frown:

I clicked on the box and it helped walk me through sending an e-mail to my representative (Martin Heinrich). I got a canned e-mail back from his office that said they appreciated my input, but also said that our buddy Martin is a co-sponsor of the bill introduced by some rep from New York.

I was not pleased to see that Heinrich supports this bill. I'm not clear exactly what lands would be closed, but when I see "Moab" to be closed, I get concerned.

I agree with Shawn - click on the box and send an e-mail today!

Did it a while ago; no response from my Texas reps. :frown:

Maybe we should go here and find out?

December NMOHVA News

I'm wondering if the goal is to expand and maintain available areas or to pigeonhole 4wheeling into a few small places...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom