New Member With 1967 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I bought a 1967 FJ 40 two years ago as a father/son project for my now 19 year old son, Liam. It had already been a father/son project in the early 1990's when they replaced the original warn out engine with a carbureted 350 Chevy. They also installed a 1976 LC 4spd trans and transfer case. The body has some rust throughs in the usual areas, but can be dealt with. It was a complete LC with a hardtop, lots of SOR stuff, nicely done half Doors, Warn winch..... It is now torn down and getting it ready for the rotisserie. Another car buddy of mine gave my son a 1988 Corvette with a Tune Port Injection 350 and 700R4 transmission to replace the carbureted 350 and 4spd.

Along the way, I also bought another partial FJ 40, a '69 that was in pieces and was going to be made into a rock crawler. It came with a tub, frame, couple of extra front and rear axles, the original engine and a couple of 3spd trans and transfer cases. I initially bought this for the tub to replace the rusted one on the '67. With the '67 tub being repairable, I'm having second thought about using the '69 tub. At any rate, we have our hands full for a couple of years and will be looking forward to the information and experience found at IH8MUD.

Bob

Welcome to you and Liam. Sounds like a great father/son project. I'm confident that many memories will be formed over rebuilding the 40. When time permits, please post some photos of both rigs.

Welcome to you and Liam. Sounds like a great father/son project. I'm confident that many memories will be formed over rebuilding the 40. When time permits, please post some photos of both rigs.
Thank you. Looking forward to tapping in on the knowledge and experience as we go through this project.

The first picture is the '67 before we disassemble it. The others are of the '69 tub we just disassembled and going to teach the kid something about welding and bodywork. Lots of drilled holes to fill and grind and wrinkles to work out.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom