NEW member on the forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys im new to the forum but not new to the automotives world, ive spent the last 6yrs restoring and customizing performance cars/street cars and now turned my head over to the 4x4 world to inspire my next project.

I haven't got the rig still in the research hunting and part purchasing phases but im getting there

the idea:- the idea is to get a FJ-45 ute and bring it back to life using new aged tech, in the end I hope to have a fully functional fully legal fully custom FJ-45 1974-1977 landcruiser from the 90's pr newer.

so ive thought and thought and came down to 2 options there listed below:-

1) get a GQ patrol swb donour car and drop the fj body on that

2) get a 80 series donour car shorten the chassis and drop the body on that.

rolling gear for the 2 options.

1) DANA 60 diffs, 80 series suspention upgraded, 80 series brakes upgraded

2) GQ or GU patrol diffs, GU suspention upgraded, GU brakes upgraded

the powerplant of the vehicle no matter what option I choose will be a chevy v8 diesel eventually turboed but not at first and a Allison heavy duty automatic transmission.

so this is stage 2 stage one was research stage 2 is getting the chassis and rolling/running gear right.

stage 3 will be customizing the cab of the FJ. I want to move the firewall further into the engine bay and extend the rear of the cab giving more room inside the cockpit. remove the rear corner windows and weld some steel plate in, remove the rear window grind out the hole and put a bigger rear window in. then weld a sheet of steel across the dash and cut custom holes to fit gauges ect and make it look more like a truck.

so when all this is done cab and chassis modified how I need and everytings tacked up roughly to giv me my measurements its time to get into the getting the chassis right stage. in this stage I will properly weld the shortened chassis if 80 series, weld the mounts properly grind the welds smooth re sandblast the chassis then tar and repaint the chassis black. the chassis will then be covered and the work on the body may begin.

the body will be sandblasted rustproofed ect ect once all this is done it will have wood panel door trims and a wood panel dash facia along with wood panel roof lining floor lining and rear wall lining.

so that's a basic layout of my project plan should keep me busy the next year or 2 im sure ive missed things out theres just to much to list so if you wanna know more about the project feel free to ask.

Sounds awesome mate, can't wait to see it rolling along!! I just joined up as well, gotta start somewhere, ay..?!

Sounds like allot of work. Have fun with it.

Welcome aboard the forum. Heaps of extremely knowledgeable people here.

cheers for the warm welcome guys yeah it will be a lot of work but aye gotta do what ya gotta do to get a perfect toy lol still tossing up if I wanna keep it all Toyota or go with the GQ shorty chassis and patrol diffs HHMMMMM so many advantages and disadvantages on either side but most likely use the shorty chassis save some dollars on shortening a yota chassis which I can then throw those dollars in other areas its all about the perfect combination lol

good to here how knowledgeable peeps are on here il probz be picking your brains a lot as we go through the phases in building this rig. I just cant wait to get it done and show it off not to mention ge it on the tracks lol

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom