New Member - Just Getting Started w/ '88 FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi 60-Series - Just wanted to say hello and thanks already for the fantastic information and community. Just picked up an '88 FJ62 in Massachusetts. Pretty good condition, lots of miles... we're going to make a Dad / Daughters project out of her for my girls' around town rig. New driver on the way and we figured we'd go classy. Happy holidays!

Here's a pic on the day we first met. First up is wheel refurbishment, new tires and brakes. She's not so great at the stopping - but runs pretty well. Full tune up next. Then we'll see about an OME...

IMG_7153.jpg

Looks cool.
My suggestion for a new teenager driver is keep the tires the stock small height. Smaller tires stop way better and handling is much better with less body roll. Both which are really important for new unexperienced drivers.
Also don’t lift it - higher center of gravity.
Teenagers crashing cars is VERY common. I’ve known several.

OSS is right, teenagers often crash cars.... I know several. The FJ62 is a slug on anything larger than 33" tires, everything is compromised including breaking, but most noticeably the acceleration. Not to mention the poor handeling skills, on corners, its scary. But, I think your daughters would love it, I know I sure love mine.... better with a 5 speed though.

Thanks for the feedback! The OME is an eventual upgrade... thinking more long-term when I get it back (hopefully unscathed). I'm checking out some 31 / 10.5 / R15's to give it a bit more stance, but not go crazy with the tires. Pedal goes to the floor right now, so I'm going to work through the maintenance procedures and flush lines. Then a hand-off the local mechanic if I can't get it to stop. Might just replace the entire system. Stopping is critical.

She's a new driver? hmmmm...these trucks are great at going, but not great at stopping. In fact, I'd be a little hesitant to give a car/truck to a new driver in the northeast without ABS. In the snpw it's all go go go and gives you a lot of confidence, until you put on the brakes. It requires care and experience in those circumstances, traits that are usually in short supply with new drivers.

I think I'd rather have a front wheel drive car with ABS than a 4WD truck without ABS in the snow, for a kid.

The good news is it's built like a tank. Hopefully she'll never find that out the hard way.

Welcome …..best of luck keeping the boys away.

When I picked up my FJ62, it needed brakes and tires. I was sliding through intersections since the tires were cheapo and dried out. Don't skimp on tire quality when diagnosing poor stopping performance. I'd also skip out on mud terrains and shoot for a good A/T like Goodyear/BFG.

I'm running 31s with new brake fluid and pads and my rig stops better than my brother's '07 Highlander even without ABS to help.

Nice looking cruiser. Humm... just thinking we all survived learning to drive old beaters with no power brakes, manual steering, 3 on the tree transmission, wore out tires etc. How did we ever make past 18 years old.

You’ll love the 62 and other are correct on it not being “speeding ticket prone”.
The brakes are good on these rigs IF set up properly. Certainly bleed, pads etc. Since it was never lifted you probably don’t have to adjust the load sensing proportional valve which controls front/rear pressure.
I would recommend replacing the brake booster (vendors on this site sell them). Don’t go for a cheap one like I did originally. When put in the high quality one my braking performance moved up to “modern car” levels.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Hi 60-Series - Just wanted to say hello and thanks already for the fantastic information and community. Just picked up an '88 FJ62 in Massachusetts. Pretty good condition, lots of miles... we're going to make a Dad / Daughters project out of her for my girls' around town rig. New driver on the way and we figured we'd go classy. Happy holidays!

Here's a pic on the day we first met. First up is wheel refurbishment, new tires and brakes. She's not so great at the stopping - but runs pretty well. Full tune up next. Then we'll see about an OME...

View attachment 3181872
love it, dad n daughters project. teach 'em to drive stick before auto. speaking from experience. also rudimentary pm routine, i.e. check n change oil, check all fluids actually n what to use where. also, how to change a tire n safe practices involved with that. what the h3ll, no one's officially welcomed you yet so here ya go :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
She's a new driver? hmmmm...these trucks are great at going, but not great at stopping. In fact, I'd be a little hesitant to give a car/truck to a new driver in the northeast without ABS. In the snpw it's all go go go and gives you a lot of confidence, until you put on the brakes. It requires care and experience in those circumstances, traits that are usually in short supply with new drivers.

I think I'd rather have a front wheel drive car with ABS than a 4WD truck without ABS in the snow, for a kid.

The good news is it's built like a tank. Hopefully she'll never find that out the hard way.
no, nope, nada, nyet. leave all the bubble wrap off. that $h!t just dumbs a driver down on the dynamics of driving that need to be learned. AND UNDERSTOOD😤
with all the bubble wrap in the world today, this crusty old fawk is trying to figure out how all of us crusty old fawks survived our neanderthal up-bringings

. She's not so great at the stopping - but runs pretty well.

I would take the time and spend the money to do the brake system correctly. New master cylinder, soft lines, calipers and pads, wheel cylinders and shoes, and new booster if it needs it. Purchase a brake booster tool for properly setting the push rod distance on the brake booster. Follow the FSM and by the time you're finished you will know the condition of the brake system and how to maintain it and diagnose issues.

Put an ARB bullbar on the front for protection.

Amen to ARB bull bar.

This is a 62 on 33” tires, and 2” OME lift. I think they look good like this.

7495C3F4-0EFA-4766-B806-8D58BECBE1D1.jpeg

Welcome to the Mud madness!

Have your child drive a semi-beater Camry for 6 months and then you'll both know what kind of driver she is before she drives this gem.

Besides, who would drive a rust-free Land Cruiser in Massachusetts winters? (I lived in Mass. for 2 years...)

Many fair points in the thread - we are spending a lot of time with her behind the wheel. And, she's doing great with my manual 2010 Tacoma and my wife's manual VW all-track. Definitely a young driver and lots to learn. I hope she develops an appreciation for the privilege of driving and freedom that she will get by putting in the time and the work. Plus it can't hurt to know how to maintain these things. Hopefully this sparks a deeper interest. She's into mechanical drawing and STEM work already. Might be good content for the college essays! Thanks, Mud - y'all rock.

Welcome to the Mud madness!

Have your child drive a semi-beater Camry for 6 months and then you'll both know what kind of driver she is before she drives this gem.

Besides, who would drive a rust-free Land Cruiser in Massachusetts winters? (I lived in Mass. for 2 years...)
eh, regarding "rust-free" - Pic in the post is of the better side. Drinker's rear door has real nice rot spot in the lower 6". It's on the list.

My teenage kids drove mine as their daily driver to highschool for several years. I armored up everything. I put bumpers on front and rear and rock sliders on the sides. I was trying to protect it best I could. No problems and no accidents. It saves on tickets as these things are gutless. I also do have an OME lift and 33" tires.

I made my son do some maintenance on ours before he got his license. Had to jump it every time he worked on it, as it had been on blocks in a warehouse for 10 years. At first you'd think I was having him connect cross country power lines...not 12V jumper cables. Got a new battery once he started driving. When he was the stud muffin that was able to jump a girls car, while the other boys stood around clueless....or when grown men would offer him large amounts of cash for it at the gas station, he developed an appreciation for it. I did create a monster though...he bought a 2021 LC - one of the last in the country, or so he was told. I bought mine new and it was his first car. His plan is to have my 18 m.o. grandson drive the '21 when he gets his license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom