New member in Pickup sub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is way easy to goof up. Done it. Try again. One tooth can make a big difference.

Is it really this simple? It was having hard starting issues before I moved the dizzy... not sure why I didnt move it back a tooth or two.
Yeah, if injectors are working, chances are ECU is good.
You're doing fine, and asking the right crowd.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get it fixed by Monday. I have to change out the valve stem seals on my 40, so I need a driver while I'm working on it.

How long has the gas been sitting in this truck?
Have you been able to cycle a tank of gas through it since you've had it?
How does it smell in the tank?

How long has the gas been sitting in this truck?
Have you been able to cycle a tank of gas through it since you've had it?
How does it smell in the tank?

The gas is new. I put it in there after I drove it.

It was almost empty.

The gas is new. I put it in there after I drove it.

It was almost empty.
Well, I'm right there with you, I've got my Trekker back together enough to drive it around a little...
Crank crank crank, no start :-(
Starts right up occasionally, but not consistent and doesn't want to stay running very well.
Pulling the carb today :worms:
Good luck :cheers:

Have an inductive timing light? Can use one to check for spark to each plug. Check the gaps?

If you have fuel and you have spark, then it's just a matter of timing of both.

Have an inductive timing light? Can use one to check for spark to each plug. Check the gaps?

If you have fuel and you have spark, then it's just a matter of timing of both.

I didnt have spark. I have fixed that now.

I don't have fuel. The pump is turning on when I jump it at the diagnostic box. I'm going to test the cranking fuel pressure today, and probe the injectors with a test light today.

If the injectors are getting a signal but no fuel, it's probably the pump. If they're getting pressure but no signal it's either a faulty connection or a bad ECU. Right?

Either way, a pump/sender unit is about the same cost as a computer. I'll have it fixed by the end of the week.

If your injectors are not working it could also be in the harness, which is a documented failure point. There are several splices that corrode and need repair.

If your injectors are not working it could also be in the harness, which is a documented failure point. There are several splices that corrode and need repair.

If the Injectors arent getting a signal, I'll also back probe the ECU. If its sending a signal that isnt being recieved by injectors, that's a wiring issue.

Which will be, hopefully, easier to fix than a pump or ECU. Or at least it will be cheaper.

One thought. When the harness gets goofy, it's usually the grounds. Try doing a continuity test on the terminals, and make sure one side is grounded. Also, 1&2 positive are wire together, and 3&4 are wired together. It won't tell you if it's broken back to the ECU, but might give you a clue if the wires are broken.

Last edited:
First thing I suspect when dealing with fuel infection is the grounds.

Can anyone tell me how to connect a remote starter switch to the starter on the truck? I cant seem to figure it out.

Can anyone tell me how to connect a remote starter switch to the starter on the truck? I cant seem to figure it out.

Where do you want the remote? If under the hood it's pretty easy. Remove small connector off the starter. Attach wire to this terminal using a 1/4" female spade. Hook wire to +battery. Install switch in between. Make it a beefy switch.

Where do you want the remote? If under the hood it's pretty easy. Remove small connector off the starter. Attach wire to this terminal using a 1/4" female spade. Hook wire to +battery. Install switch in between. Make it a beefy switch.

I'm talking about a maintenance type switch.

2018-11-14 12.46.47.jpg

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate all the help.

If you aren't getting fuel but the injectors are getting signal it could be the MAF as well as KLF said. That will tell the fuel pump when to turn on and run when the engine is running/trying to start.

Ok, so it appears the ECU is sending the signal to fire the injectors.

But, I have no fuel pressure. I can jump the fuel pump at the diagnostic box and hear it run, but when I crank the motor it doesnt send fuel.

I stuck a pin in the Fp port on the diagnostic box and tried check for voltage while cranking it, and got nothing.

Where should I look next? Any ideas?

EDIT: Forget all that. I reconnected the MAF and tested the Fp port again and I'm getting around 9v. Looks like the pump is getting a signal

Last edited:
If you aren't getting fuel but the injectors are getting signal it could be the MAF as well as KLF said. That will tell the fuel pump when to turn on and run when the engine is running/trying to start.

I'll look up how to check the MAF. Unless you know a quick way to do it?

Move the flap, listen for pump.
Often overlooked by parts changers and people who can't diag. Did you check the COR(fuel pump relay) on right side of glove box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom