New member in Pickup sub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I've been haunting the 40 series sub for a while. I sold my old '89 pickup a few years ago to purchase the 40, but I got the bug for a mini-truck again and the wife OK'd it... so I bought a neighbors truck who's moving from Texas to California.

I bought it built already (I'll catch some heat here probably. Don't care, it was too good a deal to pass up)

-'92 extra cab, mild cam, SAS'd, rear axel is an 01 taco swapped in, e-lockers front and rear, GM disc brakes rear conversion, 5.29 gears front and rear to handle the 35's. Roll cages in the cab and under the camper shell, a few other goodies/odds and ends.

It's got some minor issues I need to work through, but overall it runs well. I haven't worked on a 22RE in so long I've forgotten quite a bit and I don't have my FSM anymore.... I'll be asking some questions. I'm assuming the bank of knowledge is just as good here as it is in the 40 Series section.
IMG-20181102-WA0016.jpg

Very nice truck! Looks like a good buy.

What's keeping it from starting? Have you diagnosed it at all?

When I bought it, it had hard start and surging idle conditions. I fixed the surging idle... it was a combination of a bad TPS and a bad temp sensor.

Today it won't start and I have a code 12. I changed out the ignitor and coil. The coil and ignitor were original, and the PO had done some weird wiring to the ignitor. The ignitor tested fine, but I changed it just to take the weird wiring off the table.... just in case.

I'm left with the starter circuit, which I haven't tested yet because I have night classes. But, I'm assuming it's the starter connectors or power/ground connections. Just before I left for class the starter started acting as if it were going bad, so I'll pull and clean it all up tomorrow.

Generally starter issues are contracts and plunger. Easy fix once you get the starter out.

If it does end up being the starter, as pappy said just rebuild it. I bought the contacts on ebay for like 12 bucks and it was super easy.

I'm about to go test it out. If it is the starter, I'll probably replace with a new unit, then rebuild the old to keep on hand.

I've been doing that with my FJ40 so I can have some of the more difficult/expensive to get parts on hand, and the system is working out well.

I also got some braided tinned copper wire sleeve to shield the KS wire repair I had to make
20181107_111113.jpg

Well, it appears my ECU is bad.

I'm not an expert at electrical stuff, but I've checked or replaced every part that the manual tells me to. Still has a code 12 and crank/no start.

Anyone have a line on an ECU? Or any tips otherwise?

Last edited:
I just went back through your read, and I have a couple questions. I want to make sure I'm clear.

• It cranks, but won't start? Or, it won't crank?
  • Auto, or manual?

I just went back through your read, and I have a couple questions. I want to make sure I'm clear.

• It cranks, but won't start? Or, it won't crank?
  • Auto, or manual?

Cranks, won't start. It's a manual.

It was a hard start when I bought it, but now it's crank/no start.

I have tested or replaced the ignitor, coil, temp sensor, TPS, starter, and the wiring inbetween all.

I don't know if it's the ECU or not, and I dont want to drop $300 if it won't fix it, but I'm sort of at a loss. I would appreciate some suggestions.

Try a different dizzy cap and rotor.

Do you see spark?

I haven't checked the plugs. I pulled the coil wire and checked for spark there. So there is spark up to the cap and rotor.

But I wouldn't think a bad cap or rotor button would throw a code 12.

Clear the code and see if comes back.

I haven't checked the plugs. I pulled the coil wire and checked for spark there. So there is spark up to the cap and rotor.

But I wouldn't think a bad cap or rotor button would throw a code 12.
So, when you pull a plug to check for spark, you can also smell/see fuel wafting from the plug hole if the injectors are firing. You can hear them ticking too if they are working.
Bad ECU will not fire the injectors.

I lost an ECU in a '92 Celica hooking jumper cables up backwards. Took forever to diagnose, replacement ECU fixed it.

Have you checked the fuel pump?

Maybe a wiring fault at the MAF that won't turn on the pump?

Fuel filter clogged?

Circuit opening relay failed?

Clear the code and see if comes back.

I have. It returns every time I try to start it.

So, when you pull a plug to check for spark, you can also smell/see fuel wafting from the plug hole if the injectors are firing. You can hear them ticking too if they are working.
Bad ECU will not fire the injectors.

I lost an ECU in a '92 Celica hooking jumper cables up backwards. Took forever to diagnose, replacement ECU fixed it.

I pulled the plugs, because I removed and reinstalled the dizzy to reset the base timing. I smelled for fuel on plugs and verified. And PO had the injectors redone by Witch Hunter.

One reason I'm hesitant to buy a new/remanned ECU.

Have you checked the fuel pump?

Maybe a wiring fault at the MAF that won't turn on the pump?

Fuel filter clogged?

Circuit opening relay failed?

The injectors are squirting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At this point, I'm embarrased already... because I know it's going to be something stupid.

... because I removed and reinstalled the dizzy to reset the base timing.

At this point, I'm embarrased already... because I know it's going to be something stupid.

This is way easy to goof up. Done it. Try again. One tooth can make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom