New Member & FJ Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

During the mechanical restoration of My 40 my mechanic recomended adding power steering and after some discussion he added it off a 1987 60. Probably best thing I've done so far, I'd safely say it drives twice as good as when I got it. I met some resistance from my Wife when we drove from central Texas to Tucson to purchase Biscuit. I let her drive it a little after we got home and she still wasn't impressed. After getting the power steering she absolutely loved driving it. She pulled up to a red light and had a little trouble with the brake / clutch petal and commented "I'm gonna have to get used to how close together the petals are, my comment back to her " You're not gonna have to get used to anything Biscuit is My cruiser. " After she found a place to pull over and I drove home. As my good buddy in Midland Texas would say " Well There You Go "

Ha! That is funny!! Aren't you suppose to share in a marriage? ;) Sounds like she caught the bug!
I will most likely add power steering if the one I end up with doesn't have it. I think it may be too exhausting turning that thing in the blistering heat and especially while off-roading! I can see the money already flying out the door! :eek: By the way, I like the name, 'Biscuit!' Cute!

power steering is a fairly major modification...which may require other modifications...
I drove my Pig for many years up to 33x12.5s with manual steering. It's good for your arms.

power steering is a fairly major modification...which may require other modifications...
I drove my Pig for many years up to 33x12.5s with manual steering. It's good for your arms.

Oh no! Really? Nice. I was under the assumption it wasn't that expensive. I am learning.
Well, I guess I will adjust. And if it's good for my arms, then that will save me some time in the gym! :)

Maybe it's better to train in the gym and then turn the steering wheel with power after :steer:

Oh no! Really? Nice. I was under the assumption it wasn't that expensive.

Well, you'll need a power steering pump, one of several choices, which might mean changing your airfilter...and a new steering box, and mount for same.
Then connections and more decisions...
Search Power steering for a better idea.

I wheeled a manual steering 40 for almost 10 years, mostly in Arizona and 10 trips to Moab - manual steering isn't too bad when the truck is moving - but on asphalt and parking lots is where power steering is a convenience

For me driving the fj40 without powersteering is driving it like it was in those days, but because of it's short wheelbase driving it with powersteering makes it seem that you can turn it on a dime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom