New lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can yall give me some ideas on new lights for my 94 80. Factory light are not getting it any more. I want some new ones that I can actually see the road.

The @sleeoffroad wiring harness is a good upgrade to help your lights.

You can get some round headlight buckets from @kelly saad and your options are endless for headlights

Just replacing the bulbs helps as old bulbs get dimmer with age (high hours of usage).

The Slee wiring kit was barely noticeable on my ‘97. Not worth the time to install.

Tried some high end replacement bulbs, which helped somewhat.

But Depo housings loaded with Morimoto D2S HID projector lamps were a huge increase in light output. We’ll worth the time and money to install !! Can’t recommend these highly enough.

6AECF68A-D5FC-4F8B-8395-43DE55C36208.jpeg

Last edited:
I went with @kelly saad's replacement grill solution and some 7" HID projector housings from Dapper Lighting. Added some LED aux offroad lights in the grille.

20210910_124626.jpg

Reactions: KTP
You got all the right answers without a lot of garbage in the middle. Congrats and don't think those are limited options either, even if you do the depo mod you can put various projectors in there, and i think the depos unmodified probably work a good bit better than stock. also if you do the @kelly saad version you have probably a thousand round headlight options and are just as good as the size of the dollar bills you put down.

Also, just as a reference point, I have Depos as they come - no projectors - and they are PLENTY bright with the appropriate H4 and H1 bulbs. So don't think you have to do some crazy mod to get decent headlights.

Edit: In fact, I've been driving to work with just one working low beam for a couple weeks. Got around to fixing it a couple days ago but the point is there was still good usable light with only one burning.

I'm happy with Depo housings and Leppein LED H4 and H1 bulbs from Amazon. The Morimoto projector conversion definitely gives the widest, most consistent output, but my current setup is infinitely better than the Toyota housings with regular halogen bulbs.

Since I moved to the utter darkness in Eastern TN, I found that it's not just my 80 that could use more lighting. The wife's RX and my son's Dakota need some help too. I've turned to Diode Dynamics for all 3x cars. Their SAE/DOT Fog beam is amazing. The cutoff is sharp and the beam is wide. I'll be putting the SS3 Max on my 80 (flush bumper) and the RX is getting a pair of SSC2 Pro's set under the hood in the mini-grille area. Not sure on the Dakota yet.

I bring this up because if I had to do it over again, I'd start here and brighten up the OEMs with the HIR 9005 high and low (modded for low beams) and call it done. That's what I had and after getting a rock chip on the passenger side, I went with Kelly's option...didn't even think about add-ons at the time.

No matter what I have done for the OEM lights, I wasn't happy with the width of the beam on the road and wanted some more near fill (Zone 1 per Baja Designs). I think the Fog's are going to do the job just dandy.

I'm happy with Depo housings and Leppein LED H4 and H1 bulbs from Amazon. The Morimoto projector conversion definitely gives the widest, most consistent output, but my current setup is infinitely better than the Toyota housings with regular halogen bulbs.
How is the beam pattern with an unmodified DEPOT and led bulbs?

How is the beam pattern with an unmodified DEPOT and led bulbs
You would need to get specific on which LED bulbs and any that have a clean cut off would be the exception, not the rule.

The Depos have a hard cutoff with an uptick on the right side to light up signs. They're not like DOT housings that spill a bunch of light upward.
Yes, I actually had to adjust mine after replacing a bulb because that cutoff was too low on the road and it was causing me to have a dark area on the driver's side of the lane. Couple turns with a screw driver and now I can see!

You would need to get specific on which LED bulbs and any that have a clean cut off would be the exception, not the rule.
I was referring to gummycarbs specific setup with the Leppein bulbs.

The Slee wiring kit was barely noticeable on my ‘97. Not worth the time to install.

Tried some high end replacement bulbs, which helped somewhat.

But Depo housings loaded with Morimoto D2S HID projector lamps were a huge increase in light output. We’ll worth the time and money to install !! Can’t recommend these highly enough.

View attachment 2804589
can you elaborate on the “projector lamp conversion”? found the Morimoto site but saw nothing about a projector conversion.
thanks!

can you elaborate on the “projector lamp conversion”? found the Morimoto site but saw nothing about a projector conversion.
thanks!
Sure...happy to explain how I completed my conversion and answer any questions you have. The Retrofit Source sells the Morimoto D2S projectors and other parts you'll need for the conversion. They also have videos explaining the conversion and install. Youtube is a good resource for learning the process as well. It pretty straight forward. You'll need to start by finding a set of Depo headlight housings, which have glass lens. I'm hearing they are difficult to find now, but there are some other options on eBay. Then talk to the Retrofit Source, explaining your vehicle and housing type. They will set you up with the other parts you need.

Here is a thread showing the conversion on an 80 series. Let me know if you want more info.

Last edited:
These are another option. They have the HID projector built-in, so you don't have to retro-fit them. They have the proper cut-off so you don't blind other drivers as well. I have these, but haven't installed them yet. I was originally going to be running HID bulbs, but will now be running LED bulbs instead (less wiring, relaying, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom