New Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but am a long time Toyota Truck / Tacoma owner. I've currently got a 2004 Tacoma XtraCab 4x4 TRD that I love. I've recently started looking for something that can fit my family of 5 while enjoying some top down fun. I've gone the Jeep route before, but left disappointed with the JK. I'm a fan of the TJs, but there's no option to seat 5. That brought me to the 1st Gen 4Runner, which is a lot like my very first truck, a 1985 Toyota XtraCab 4x4. So I'm on the lookout now for a decent 1st Gen. Can't believe how expensive they've gotten. This looks like a great community and I'm looking forward to helping out where I can.

As the owner of a 1st Gen, three of the family will need to be small, and will need to be for a while.

As the owner of a 1st Gen, three of the family will need to be small, and will need to be for a while.
They are all fairly small kids for their ages, 8-15. I probably need to put the dimension so the bench seat out and see if they all fit OK. I know they did in our old Honda CR-V a few years ago....
Is there a superior convertible option I'm not aware of? I don't want a hardtop.

4runner is fine.
My back seat really sucks because I have suspension seats up front.
That being said, unless i was back there all day it'd be a non issue.
A stock truck is fine in the back unless you're giant or obese

If it helps, i measured the back seat of my 2nd gen t4r and its about 51" door to door. I have 3 car seats though so its always tighter in the back.
I am 5'8" and find that I could sit comfortably in the back if the front seats are a little less than halfway forward when sitting in the back.
Apples to oranges really but hope this may give some perspective...

Fit to go out to dinner is one thing. Fit to go on a long trip is another. My comment was addressing the latter.

Thanks for the responses. I agree, three kids on a bench seat is not good for a long drive. That’s ok. I don’t see really long drives with it.

I've owned my Gen1 4R for over 30 years. I would not wish the back seat on anybody. Adults, kids, nobody. It's damn near impossible to comfortably get into and out of. Toss a little lift on the truck and it will be impossible. Even accessing junk on the back seat is a chore. I would look for a Gen 3, or another 4Runner flavor with 4 doors.

I've owned my Gen1 4R for over 30 years. I would not wish the back seat on anybody. Adults, kids, nobody. It's damn near impossible to comfortably get into and out of. Toss a little lift on the truck and it will be impossible. Even accessing junk on the back seat is a chore. I would look for a Gen 3, or another 4Runner flavor with 4 doors.

nope. We have a Sienna for long trips with the family. I use my Xcab Tacoma with my kids often so the 4Runner will be an upgrade over jump seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom