Builds New FJ62 owner (RD 2 with a 60 series) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can't mount the ARB lower? They have adjustable mounts, no?

You can't mount the ARB lower? They have adjustable mounts, no?
You are correct. IIRC there are 3 different mounting positions on brackets. I don't remember which one I used.. But yeah, I think it sits a bit too high too...

Soooooo, I am getting ATF fluid into my Transfer Case..😣 I guess it is time to replace oil seal that mates Trans to T-case... Have taken apart plenty of 80 series T cases apart, but never a split case from an earlier model LC... Questions, full rebuild TC or just pull apart case and replace seal/paper gaskets? TC seems to be working perfectly with no excessive whine/sounds etc.. Probably just going to be a full rebuild kit with idler shaft bearings etc... Also, is the job easier if I pull the trans and TC as whole unit or is it not too bad taking T case apart while still attached to transmission? Thanks in advance..

What’s up fellow East Bay Mudder. Love the rig.

So much auto trans drama. Just h55 it already.
What's up. Trust me, it's in the future for sure.. Auto is running good for now, so I will see how long it will last... well, that and the funds (Ha) plus no time at the moment for a project... Do you have a 62 with a h55F swap?

What's up. Trust me, it's in the future for sure.. Auto is running good for now, so I will see how long it will last... well, that and the funds (Ha) plus no time at the moment for a project... Do you have a 62 with a h55F swap?

No, I wish... I still run the 4 speed. Georg and I have been talking about doing my h55 for years now. Every time I put my cash together life turns around and snatches that money back.

Looks like you have about 10 Cruisers... Got your hands full for sure.

Last edited:
Lol...... Not 10, but it's getting there.... Actually my neighbors think I own a used car lot full of buckets lol... Yea, these damn trucks definitely keep me busy, was on my 80 yesterday for the better part of the day. I have looked into just having Georg do the swap for me as well (not sure if I want to do this in my garage), but as mentioned not ready for it now... Plus, it is probably something I will do myself... When working on any of my cruiser buckets, just to get it into my garage, takes a damn while... I have to move a whole bunch of damn trucks.lol.. By the time I start wrenching, I am already over it. HA...We will see... Name is Robert Muñiz...Good to hear from a local cruiserhead...Hit me up if you ever hit any trails or just want to talk cruisers...👍

I should specify... I have a 60 with the stock 4 speed man, H42. Man it sure shifts like butter though. I run 33" Mickey T's.

I was just thinking about a Cruisers and coffee in the East Bay somewhere. What Peets/Starbucks has a good parking lot? Or a weekend run to Hollister.

I'm off work right now and my 60 works! I really should be working on the 84 Volvo 240 that's on jack's in my driveway. My neighbors think the same about me...

Well, finally after months of putting off digging into transfer case, I decided to get in there.... Couple days ago I took the transfer case apart of my 80 series to install a set of Marlin Crawler Low gears, so I said, why not.. Took a week off of work, and getting a lot of crap down around house and my junk cruisers.. Here are some random pics of the tear down.. I do have a McNamara gear going in to replace the oem input gear that I think might be the culprit for my hard P to D shift and also my ATF/gear oil mixing into transfer case. The flange behind the gear itself that rides on the oil seal, has 2 deep groves and I am sure that was the issue.. During tear down of the case, there was a s*** load of ATF that started to leak on floor..It was a lot... I wouldn't doubt if it was a good 2-3 qts....Here are pics:

20200710_100105.jpg

20200710_102840.jpg

20200710_144410.jpg

20200710_144439.jpg

20200710_130833.jpg

Last edited:
Clean case and pic of McNamara gear next to oem input gear with worn groves on flange part

20200710_163608.jpg

15944252733856026075940216534780.jpg

15944253212271153258080451246782.jpg

Do you or does anyone else know where to get those sweet sweet graphics?
Ha.... no not really... they do sell some oem looking ones on fleabay... I was actually taking mine off (not a fan of the blue), and the decals are so caked on, it started to remove the paint on doors.... Been on since...

1 more pic...Completely disassembled.... So fresh and so clean.... One note, I had a crap load of ATF come out of idler shaft once I pulled from TC... I wonder how much ATF I need to put back in once I have TC assembled and in truck since it spilled all over garage floor... Any idea? I am pretty sure it was at least 3 to 4 qts.....transmission oil pan dip stick still reads the same....

20200711_094932.jpg

Last edited:
Well folks, it's a wrap...... Finally put the t-case back together, fully rebuilt with psrts from Cruiser Brothers- @orangefj45.....Thanks again Georg for awesome products/service....Just doing a drain and refill on the ol slushbox....

20200718_095132.jpg

20200718_095203.jpg

@cc93cruiser Did your tranny temps settle down with your external cooler? I thought I'd pass along my solutions that have worked great for me and put my mind at rest. There were several steps: New Mishimoto radiator with integral cooler; external cooler in tandem with condenser fan: and passive exhaust heat shielding of the tranny.

I am kind of surprised that I have not seen others detect the radiant effect of the exhaust, but it's rather huge. You can see all in these:

BTW, thank you for the tip on the higher temp reading of the Glowshift oil temp gauge. I'm about to jump into that task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom