Builds New FJ62 owner (RD 2 with a 60 series) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
1989 FJ62 3FE Auto- ATF Fluid topped off and verified level after driving 10 miles and shifting through all gears then checked level while in Neutral...

Hi folks, finally picked up a 60 series couple days ago from another mud member and just had a couple questions regarding the Transmission temp sensor light on Shift indicator coming on after a couple long drives..

First of a little back ground, this is my 8th cruiser IIRC and my 2nd 60 series. My first cruiser was a 1982 60 series ( back in 2002) that I ended up rolling over after brakes went out on me a year or so later (I'll post up pics in a bit). I have since then owned 40s 80s a 100 and 200, all have been without exaggeration, bulletproof! I have had this FJ62 for a couple days now and have gone for a couple 2 hr or so drives, both times within hr or 2 of highway cruising ( 60-70 mph) A/T light comes on... I knew the procedure, pull over and shift to Park.. but I said **** it and kept driving both times.. I told myself, this is a cruiser, I am not towing/driving crazy (shifting gears back and forth- engaging/disengaging O/D).. The first time I drove for about an hr with the light on until I exited from freeway and then pulled over and finally shifted to P, let run for like 5 mins and light went away.. Second time (today) I drove with light on for about 30 mins on highway and exited again and while driving around town, light went off.. pulled into my driveway and brought out my temp gun to see pan temps to verify if it was running hot, it read 240°F.. I posted a pic of temp reading.....

So finally, last couple days, I have been searching about this issues with the 62s and the A440F running hot.. Some members seem to just kind of ignore light and truck on while others slap on a tranny cooler with mixed results ( some report same light comes on even after installing tranny cooler)...Another option would be to to slap on the 5 speed manual H55F which I eventually want to do, but funds at the moment are tight and as long as Auto tranny keeps working I don't want to mess with it.. On a side note, thus truck was acquired from another forum member and he said that this truck was serviced and checked out ( also replaced A440F with a good unit) by Georg at Valley Hybrids..

I have read that these trannies by nature run hot, once the torque converter locks up and stays locked for awhile, hot ATF fluid stays there and no cooler ATF fluid recirculates to the TC and therefore runs hot...People have posted when driving for extended periods of time on highway, to try and have TC disengage and engage to circulate the cooler fluid..Did this and did not drive past 65 mph and still had the light come on... One thing I want to mention is that with light off or on, transmission shifts smooth and flawlessly.......

Advice please.... What should I do?

Option #1: Install transmission cooler and hope this takes care of issue... Is there a bolt on kit for our rigs or what are people using? Will do some searching on my own too..

Option #2: Simply ignore it, keep on with my good driving habits/ habits people have posted on here with the FJ62s while highway driving and see how long this tranny lasts. Then keep telling myself these trannies run hot by nature and I am just being too over paranoid...

Option #3: H55F and don't look back even though auto is working flawlessly now... This will be most likely route I will go, but hopefully I don't have to do this for another 5 Yrs or so or longer....

20190512_175656.jpg

Last edited:
Pic, or aquisition of a new cruiser didn't happen ..:cool:

D4C0D83B-7EC9-4C3F-AA1B-10DC7C4618AB.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Another pic..

Attach01.jpg

Nice looking truck. Those stripes are very period correct.

Add a cooler. If you want to save some bucks get a used one from a wrecking yard.

Nice rig!
I would look at installing a cooler.
Those tires aren’t going to help the auto trans run any cooler than with the 28” tires it came with!

The warning light comes on at 304 degrees F if I remember right. That’s cooking!

When it has come on for you, was the shifter handle hot?

So...
Nice truck. Any idea on when the tranny was last serviced? What is the color of the ATF and does it smell burnt? Sounds like it shifts fine. I’d consider a complete fluid change and see if you see improvement. Also search for “Rodney flush”. Don’t ignore the light. A440 rebuilds are quite pricey

After some searching, I think I am going to give a cooler a shot.. There is 2 options peeps here have used... Either the B&M or the Hayden.... Couple snapshots of both... might give the Hayden since it is a bit bigger and actually cheaper... What else is needed for install, more 3/8s rubber hose? How much is needed? Still looking for good write up... Do I simply run the cooler lines in between the lines coming out of transmission and the radiator atf fittings?

Screenshot_20190512-193114.png

Screenshot_20190512-193129.png

Nice rig!
Those tires aren’t going to help the auto trans run any cooler than with the 28” tires it came with!

The warning light comes on at 304 degrees F if I remember right. That’s cooking!

Yes it was, but not 3rd degree burn hot...but yes hot..

So...
Nice truck. Any idea on when the tranny was last serviced? What is the color of the ATF and does it smell burnt? Sounds like it shifts fine. I’d consider a complete fluid change and see if you see improvement. Also search for “Rodney flush”. Don’t ignore the light. A440 rebuilds are quite pricey
Tranny from what I was told is a good used unit from Valley Hybrids.. IIRC, PO mentioned it was done within a year ago.. I did a drain and refill yesterday with about 5 qts... Fluid was not bright red and has since mixed with whatever previous owner or valley hybrids used, but it is not black...A little more clearer than red..

When I had my 62, the 70268 was not enough to keep my trans cool. I ended up with a Derale atomic cooler with an electric fan.
If money is tight as you say, I’m not sure why driving it for over an hour with the temp light on is a wise option, no matter how you look at it. A440’s are not cheap to rebuild.

When I had my 62, the 70268 was not enough to keep my trans cool. I ended up with a Derale atomic cooler with an electric fan.
If money is tight as you say, I’m not sure why driving it for over an hour with the temp light on is a wise option, no matter how you look at it. A440’s are not cheap to rebuild.
Stupidity, and I did not want to pull over to highway shoulder since both times I was with my family, just fearing for their safety since it is a heavily traveled stretch of highway.. Will not be driving this cruiser anymore until i install a tranny cooler and another drain and refill.. Besides the Hayden kit, anything else I need? Longer hoses, fittings, clamps etc?

Last edited:
I know this is a 30 year old truck, but confused as to way Mr. T didn't install a cooler from the fsctory knowing that they over engineer everything.. They did use them in later models..

Nice rig!

Yes, and I believe it turns off once it drops to 280 degrees. Mine has only ever come on once in the 20 years I've owned it (funny enough it was before I put 31" tires on it). Since I put in a temp gauge (had to use the fitting for the light sensor so I lost functionality of the light) I've seen that it will occasionally reach the 260 degree maximum of the gauge on long steep hills when I'm cranking up them in 2nd or 3rd, but quickly come back down once I level off and can get to a point where my torque converter can lock up again. Last week I finally installed a tranny cooler (B&M 70268), and since then the highest it's gotten is 220 in 80 degree weather in long stop and go traffic. Highway speeds it quickly gets up to 130 and takes a long time to reach 160, where it remains as long as I'm on level road and keeping my speed up.

Found this pic in another 60 series mud thread..Does this pic show the correct installation for this kit?

oilflow2.jpg

Yep, that's how I did mine and it works like a champ.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but with the cooler installed would this raise the ATF capacity a bit, if it does how much extra fluid do I need to add with the Cooler?

Last edited:
BTW, pic of the old 60 before it ended up upside down...

DSC00027.JPG

Posted these pics back in the early 2000's, but seems right posting again since I will be a frequent visitor in the 60 series forum once again.. Walked away from that bitch with a minor cut or 2, dad was not so lucky - broken collar bone..

DSC00533.JPG

DSC00546.JPG

Ordered the Hayden kit off amazon with the mounting kit. Also extra transmission hoses 8 ft total with 3/8" inside diameter. Will this be all I need to install this on the 62?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom