Builds "new" fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As of May 13, 2017, I have 60 more problems...

Its dusty, not really rusty, but so far seems trusty .

Rockers and bottoms of doors are scratched and dented.

Drove it from Medford, Or to San Jose, CA.

Problems:
  1. I was sold 40 gals. of fuel in Oregon: it leaks fuel.
  2. CHP beat up my PS front door: its zip tied for now.
  3. Ran out of gas as I reached my destination: SFO.
  4. It needs new TRE's but somehow I made it home.
  5. I stopped 10 miles from home and the starter crapped out.
  6. I'm almost sure I really overpaid for the 60 but I was still within my very low budget.
  7. The interior is hideous. The door panels make me want to cry.

Goals:
  • Pass smog. Somehow, someway.
  • Get the PS front door fixed or replaced so I can keep my stuff in it.
  • Have remaining body damage repaired and the windows tinted.
  • Gut and clean the interior then have it sprayed with white line-x, or DIY bed liner?
  • Suspension. Leafs are really really flat.
  • Have it painted silver, tan, or a bright blue.
  • Might rattle can the wheels black for now.

DS rear diagonal.png

front.png

Last edited:
The PS front fender is messed up. The PO said the PS front door "may need to be re-hung" but its missing a hinge and the latch doesn't work anymore. When I said CHP beat up my PS front door, all he did was open the door and the latch stopped working. The officers zip tied the door and let me go. The pictures show the door while the latch still worked but as you can see it was never pretty.

FENDER.jpg

PS damage.png

PS rear diagonal.png

May 14, 2017

Last Sunday, I went back to the Airport to pick up the car. When I say it took a while to start :bang: and when it did start there was a loud constant screeching sound. It barely idled with the choke. It was running lean but then again Im no expert. I just wanted to get home.

When I got on the freeway things improved so much that I decided to stop at Walmart in Mountain View. I picked up a few things and couldn't wait to get home but the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't crank. It was silent. The lights still worked but that was it. I thought it could be the cables or that somehow the battery had been drained; I went back in and bought a jump starter just as the store was closing. That didn't work so I searched for my multimeter and realized I'd left it at home. Just my luck, Walmart was closed. I called AAA for a tow but the driver said he couldn't tow it because the tags were expired. He checked the battery and starter: battery was at 12.8 volts; but he said the starter was bad.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017

I pulled the starter and took it to O'Reilly Auto. They checked it and said it was bad, but I still had 5 minutes to order one from the warehouse. Almost 2 hours later and they called to say it was ready for pick up. I picked it up, bolted it on and the car started right up.

starter fail.jpg
old starter 4.jpg
starter boot.jpg
starting mounts.png
starting mount.jpg

May 15, 2017

Next stop. DMV.

I waited 30 minutes to get a number. Drove around the building and had the cruiser inspected which killed another 20 minutes since there was a car ahead of me. Car passed even though the federal emissions sticker was missing. Went back in and waited another 30 minutes. Didn't expect to pay $170 in fees. Ouch! Almost 90 minutes later and I'm told I have 6 weeks to return with proof of smog.

This was the moment when I started to question life and this smart decision to fly to Oregon to buy a car and drive it 400 miles. Maybe I should've went with the pre '74 C3 Corvette that was smog exempt.

You haven't posted any pix of the engine compartment, so don't know if all the stuff is there, but you should really download the emissions manual (in my sig line) and go through the systems one by one (test procedures in manual).

Great way to familiarize yourself with the nightmare of pre-OBD smog controls.

Lots of threads on it too.

You have a pic of the starter O'Reilly's gave you?

May 15, 2017

What a day.

Next stop. Tires.

I really don't like Calderon Tires because I feel they put lug nuts on too tight, however, I needed cheap and nearby and they fit those requirements. I sped over and arrived 5 minutes before closing. The manager turned me away but referred me to Godinez Tires which was a mile or two away.

To make matters worse, the car was back to having trouble idling but I made my way over to Godinez Tires.

The car came with the 4 tires that were on it and 3 more in the back along with 4 extra wheels. What we ended up doing was scrapping the PS front tire due to a nail and DS rear because it was splitting.
tire.jpg
I was left with enough tires to ride on plus 1 for a spare. I like the wheels on the car, but not the color, so I decided I'll be keeping them. I'll spray 'em black myself or get them powder coated once I take care of the things that matter.
wheel 2.jpg

For now, I still have 4 chrome wheels that I really need to get rid of.

Last edited:
Current Setup:

Front - 2 Maxxis Big Horn
Rear - 2 Mud Dawg
Extra - 1 Maxxis Big Horn

wheel 1.jpg
wheel.jpg

May 15, 2017

Next stop. Car wash.

With the car currently sitting on 33'' tires mounted on 15'' x 10'' wheels I headed over to the car wash. Since the car wouldn't idle I pulled over across the street from the car wash to see how the car would respond to covering the intake with a napkin. All of a sudden it was idling again.

I got rid of the napkin and went in to the car wash. I bought tokens and pulled in. I sprayed degreaser all over the engine, wheels, and undercarriage but forgot to cover the starter, alternator, etc. At this point I was very nervous. I still scrubbed, rinsed, and dried the rest of the car.

car wash.jpg
car wash back.jpg

Next I went for a drive. By the time I got home the engine was dry and everything was still working so I figured no damage was done.

after washh.jpg
after wash.jpg

Car looks like its never seen soap or water let alone been hit with a power spray.

While choosing pics for the previous post I noticed something very scary, at least to me. Check out the DS tire and compare it to the PS tire.
after washh.jpg

Could these 2 issues be related and caused by tie rod ends?
1 crooked wheel.png

You haven't posted any pix of the engine compartment, so don't know if all the stuff is there, but you should really download the emissions manual (in my sig line) and go through the systems one by one (test procedures in manual).

Great way to familiarize yourself with the nightmare of pre-OBD smog controls.

Lots of threads on it too.

You have a pic of the starter O'Reilly's gave you?

Im definitely not looking forward to anything smog related so I do appreciate you sharing that Manual. Wish me luck getting it sorted.

As for the starter O'Reillys gave me, Im sure I took pictures but I can't find them. I just know it looked like a clean version of the one I'd pulled off the 60.

engine 1.jpg

engine 2.jpg

engine 3.jpg

engine 4.jpg

Is the black thing on the far right of the last picture A/C related?

Last edited:
get the wheels straight, and get measurements from tire to tire, at the front of the tire and at the back of the tire.

Adjusting toe alignment on wheels

Then jack up the front end and shake the tires, any noticeable movement means its time to investigate bearings, steering, and hubs

I measured 50.5'' on both the front and back.

I jacked up the front end the other day and there wasn't any shake at "12 and 6 o'clock" but there was at "9 and 3 o'clock."

Is the black thing on the far right of the last picture A/C related?
That's the carburetor cooling fan. There should a temperature sensor bolted to a tab on the exhaust manifold that senses when the temperature is high enough to need the fan. There's a cooling fan relay somewhere under the dash that controls the fan. After shutting down the engine the cooling fan will run for a while, you should be able to hear it running. It shuts off by itself. It keeps from getting vapor lock (fuel boiling) and prevents hot starting issues. Do a search here on MUD for details.

I like your overpaid wreck :flipoff2:
Same picture with front wheels:

file.php

That's the carburetor cooling fan. There should a temperature sensor bolted to a tab on the exhaust manifold that senses when the temperature is high enough to need the fan. There's a cooling fan relay somewhere under the dash that controls the fan. After shutting down the engine the cooling fan will run for a while, you should be able to hear it running. It shuts off by itself. It keeps from getting vapor lock (fuel boiling) and prevents hot starting issues. Do a search here on MUD for details.

Thanks. Ill take it for a drive and see if I notice it.

So I finally got tired of using ratchet ties to "lock" my PS front door so I ordered the part and decided to take off both front doors. The part is selling for about $120 everywhere I've checked but I found a guy out of Florida on eBay and offered him $35 plus $20 shipping. A week later and the part is shipping from Venezuela. I also spent this past weekend stripping about a million layers of paint primer and god knows what off the roof, hood, and front fenders.

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom